What's new

The Last Tycoon (Amazon) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Is anyone watching this new series on Amazon with Matt Bomer and Kelsey Grammer? Based on the Scott Fitzgerald novel, this is certainly treading its own path with subplots about the Nazis and working in Louis B. Mayer and Irving Thalberg (even though Bomer's character of Monroe Stahr was based on Thalberg, so it was odd with the two of them in the same room talking).

I am enjoying it, and the Hollywood period detail is quite marvelous in UHD/HDR, but I wonder if Amazon is expecting this to have multiple seasons like The Man in the High Castle and Bosch or is it just a one-off with nine episodes?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I haven't been watching it, but I've been wondering about it. Wanted to hear some feedback before I committed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There are lots of characters and subplots, and because Stahr has his fingers in many pies around the studio, he figures into many of the stories (but not all of them). I'm up to episode 6 (or is it 7?) and I've not been sorry for the time commitment. Each episode is a bit longer than 50 minutes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
OK, episode six really threw out a BIG surprise that I did not see coming. Should make the last three episodes much more nerve-wracking now that we know something very vital that Monroe doesn't know.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finished the nine-episode season this afternoon, and I have to say I did enjoy it. I think they could go more into the behind-the-scenes dealings on a 1930s movie lot than they do; soap opera of crushed romances and thwarted dreams seem too much the focus. The show could end with this one season (even though there are cliffhangers, naturally), but the main characters are certainly interesting enough to warrant additional seasons.

It does look like Amazon spent a fortune on this show. All those period clothes, cars, and props have to be very expensive. And kudos for getting the look of the Oscar statuettes and supporting trophies correct; most shows don't do their research to know when the looks of the Oscar changed. And how clever of them to work their own characters and films into the nomination lists replacing the actual winners with some of their characters but not having the actual winners mentioned as potential nominees.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
A couple of days ago I saw the 1976 film version with Robert De Niro and it's a good film with a great ending. Forgot Jack Nicholson & Jeanne Moreau were in it since I have not seen it in years.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A couple of days ago I saw the 1976 film version with Robert De Niro and it's a good film with a great ending. Forgot Jack Nicholson & Jeanne Moreau were in it since I have not seen it in years.
I've been meaning to rewatch the movie and haven't gotten around to it. As I recall, it's much more faithful to the novel than the series is.

Real Name
Jeff Hutchison
I liked the 1st episode, but 2&3 were a little dull. I'll probably watch the rest of it, but as of now, I'm not too excited about it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just read that Amazon has canceled this series. Very disappointed not to get another season. I was interested to see where the show was going to go.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was just reading an article earlier today in Variety, and it didn't specifically site this show, but it mentioned that Amazon CEO is mandating a shift in the type of programming that Amazon Video will be producing. (The article cited, among other things, how Amazon just canceled a second season for "Z" even though they had ordered one months ago and several million have already been spent in development costs and writers room salaries, due to this new change in direction.) Apparently they want a big "Game Of Thrones" style hit and are less interested in more arty or independent fare.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-jeff-bezos-roy-price-zelda-1202552532/

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
"Apparently they want a big "Game Of Thrones" style hit and are less interested in more arty or independent fare."--Is anyone remotely surprised to read this? Perhaps it's for the best--some of the shows I sampled on Amazon, Netflix, etc., have been pretty mediocre, and as "Peak TV" grows into an Everest of programs no one will ever be able to watch some culling is necessary. That said I wonder if a show like Transparent would get off the ground in this changing climate. (But it has commissioned something called Tong Wars from Wong Kar-wai, which is bound to be arty and independent.)

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just finished this series today, and thought it was just "okay". I almost didn't finish it, but wanted to see how the season ended. I am not really sad there will be no second season.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just read that Amazon has canceled this series. Very disappointed not to get another season. I was interested to see where the show was going to go.

I often love period pieces, but I felt this show did not come together in terms of the writing. The production design, cinematography, and acting, however, were all very good imho. Here's a review that says better than I could what I feel about this show....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/last-tycoon-review-1024548

"There is a scene in the very early part of Amazon's newest drama, The Last Tycoon, where a young woman played by Lily Collins knocks over a vase that appears to be expensive, and is certainly sentimentally valuable, inside the offices of an important movie producer played by Matt Bomer. The vase hits the ground and shatters into tiny pieces and, one would assume, ceramic dust. Bomer tells his secretary to get the glue.

What?

That should be the first clue that The Last Tycoon, based of course on the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is trying to reach well beyond the limits of its grasp. When we later see that the secretary has rebuilt half of the vase, it plays as unintentional comedy. When, inevitably, there's yet another scene about the completed vase — which looks remarkably like a new, duplicate vase — it's even funnier, despite the fact that the salvation of the vase is meant to play as emotionally compelling.

That said, the vase is the least of the problems on Last Tycoon.

Period pieces are difficult. And if there are already countless movies from the period you're trying to reproduce, that can be a major additional stumbling block. For Last Tycoon, it trips up the show almost immediately.

Much of that, however, is because the writing feels (and sounds) like it wants to mimic the era without showing an ounce of believability, even though several fine actors do their best with the material. The overall effect is superficial rather than immersive, and there's rarely a moment when you're not hyper-aware that you're watching actors act like they're in a period piece, spouting dialogue that sounds like it's rehashing conversations from past movies...."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAR
Recent bookmarks