What's new

THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
For reasons unknown to me, The Last Time I Saw Paris seems to be a public domain title. There are numerous DVDs out there and apparently they are all total garbage.

Can anyone recommend a halfway decent DVD? Does anyone know how this film came to be in the public domain?

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Robin9 said:
For reasons unknown to me, The Last Time I Saw Paris seems to be a public domain title. There are numerous DVDs out there and apparently they are all total garbage.

Can anyone recommend a halfway decent DVD? Does anyone know how this film came to be in the public domain?

You're referring to the 1954 MGM title? It's available through the Warner Archive at WBShop.com. Much better than halfway decent anamorphic print. MGM neglected to renew the copyright relegating it to public domain status.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you very much. I had no idea Warners had released their own disc. I don't think it's ever listed on Amazon.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Mark-P said:
Here is it: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Time-Saw-Paris/dp/B005ZVIPEC

You just have to have the knack for searching for things on Amazon. :)

And keep in mind, Amazon includes the reviews for all released versions including the awful looking public domain prints, so the rating for this specific release from the Archive isn't very accurate.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JoelA said:
And keep in mind, Amazon includes the reviews for all released versions including the awful looking public domain prints, so the rating for this specific release from the Archive isn't very accurate.

Luckily, Warner Archive discs carry a very distinctive logo at the top of the front cover, so if you know it's a Warner Archive disc you're looking for, they're easy to identify. Anyway I've found it, ordered it and am waiting for it!

Many thanks for your help. To repeat: I had no idea Warner Archives had released their own disc. I'm really pleased about this.

I notice that Cinemascope Cat, who I believe under another name is a very regular contributor to this forum, has posted a review on Amazon in which he emphasises the need to buy the Warner Archive disc.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Robin9 said:
Undoubtedly! You've linked to a "product" released by Slam Dunk Media! :) Thanks anyway.

I don't know what's up with your browser, then. It's the right link for me. It links directly to the product with the ASIN of B005ZVIPEC which is in the link address.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mark-P said:
I don't know what's up with your browser, then. It's the right link for me. It links directly to the product with the ASIN of B005ZVIPEC which is in the link address.

Very strange. Whenever I click your link I arrive at the Slam Dunk disc. If I paste the address in my search engine, I get the Warner Archive disc. Can anyone explain this?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the Warner Archive disc of The Last Time I Saw Paris tonight. Many thanks for the recommendation. This disc is far better than the previous public domain DVD I had.

I always enjoy romantic melodramas with glamorous characters suffering against glamorous backdrops! I also enjoy looking at Elizabeth Taylor in her late teens and early twenties when she was at her most beautiful. She really looked good in this film and managed to put Donna Reed in the shade: no mean achievement!

I'm sorry that most of Elizabeth Taylor's early films are on Warner Archive DVD-Rs in less than optimum condition. Warners obviously don't think that restoring these films is commercially viable. A pity. I'd love to see a properly restored version of Rhapsody on a Warner Archive Blu-ray disc.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Robin9 said:
I watched the Warner Archive disc of The Last Time I Saw Paris tonight. Many thanks for the recommendation. This disc is far better than the previous public domain DVD I had.

I always enjoy romantic melodramas with glamorous characters suffering against glamorous backdrops! I also enjoy looking at Elizabeth Taylor in her late teens and early twenties when she was at her most beautiful. She really looked good in this film and managed to put Donna Reed in the shade: no mean achievement!

I'm sorry that most of Elizabeth Taylor's early films are on Warner Archive DVD-Rs in less than optimum condition. Warners obviously don't think that restoring these films is commercially viable. A pity. I'd love to see a properly restored version of Rhapsody on a Warner Archive Blu-ray disc.

Thanks for following up and glad you enjoyed. I try my best not to steer people in the wrong direction. :)

Regarding Rhapsody, who knows anymore? There have been so many blu titles released by WAC over the last year that seem to be coming out of left field. We may be surprised.

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
Hi
Would somebody please tell me if "The Last time I saw Paris" Warner Archive is a wide screen release?
Thank You
Dan Oldrati

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks