What's new

The Last Time I Saw Paris never released on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
It was released on DVD by Warner Archive, but I can't find any reviews. Is the DVD widescreen with stereo sound?

111854.jpg

Daniel_BB

Agent
Real Name
Daniel BARBIEUX
It was released a long time ago on laserdic and it includes the main title (orchestrated by Conrad Salinger) in stereo

Attachments

• last time.jpg
    last time.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 55

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
If they could find the Perspecta Stereophonic Sound tracks, I would be interested. They could contact Bob Furmanek on how to extract the sound to three channels.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Never considered The Last Time I Saw Paris anything exceptional. A romantic potboiler with obvious sets a la the MGM backlot subbing in for Paris and a few leaden performances scattered throughout by star-powered talent who ought to have known better.

Fitzgerald's affecting tale of a lonely father's love to reconnect with the daughter he never knew before the war, gets tanked by Richard Brooks' direction and the Epstein bro's glossifed screenplay, changing the timeline, the hero's 'business', and the daughter's past, all in service of some dewy, yet antiseptic romance which unravels into doom and gloom almost from the outset.

The marital mish-mash that ends with pneumonia and death is trite. Fitzgerald's character motivations have been rendered to caricature and/or cardboard cutouts and the story, once sincere, is now pure pulp. Read the book. But pray for a better remake somewhere in the works.

Glenn C.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
Never considered The Last Time I Saw Paris anything exceptional. A romantic potboiler with obvious sets a la the MGM backlot subbing in for Paris and a few leaden performances scattered throughout by star-powered talent who ought to have known better.

Fitzgerald's affecting tale of a lonely father's love to reconnect with the daughter he never knew before the war, gets tanked by Richard Brooks' direction and the Epstein bro's glossifed screenplay, changing the timeline, the hero's 'business', and the daughter's past, all in service of some dewy, yet antiseptic romance which unravels into doom and gloom almost from the outset.

The marital mish-mash that ends with pneumonia and death is trite. Fitzgerald's character motivations have been rendered to caricature and/or cardboard cutouts and the story, once sincere, is now pure pulp. Read the book. But pray for a better remake somewhere in the works.
Now, I can die a happy man knowing your thoughts on this movie.:rolleyes:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm not familiar with the Fitzgerald work that inspired the movie, but I have never cared for it. I could not stand the insufferable drunk/loser character played by Van Johnson who squanders a relationship with Liz Taylor in her prime. He should have shot himself at some point in the film for being such a miserable and boring failure.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray

Tell us how you really feel, Nick :rolling-smiley:

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Never say never, but I too seriously doubt The Last Time I Saw Paris will be released on blu-ray anytime soon. The review by Nick*Z is absolutely spot on.

Interestingly enough, the actress Ellen Barkin watched the film when it aired on April 9 and tweeted the following: "Van Johnson is a damn fine actor. @tcm on a saturday afternoon is the best."

It started a nice little thread about people remembering Van Johnson, who was a damn fine actor and should be better remembered.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

None of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novels and short stories have fared well in their movie adaptations so it seems unfair to pick on The Last Time I Saw Paris. For what it is, I quite liked it but yes, it's not Fitzgerald. None of the many Great Gatsby adaptations have got it right though all have had bits and pieces that were good. As much as I'm fond of Tender In The Night because of its cast, CinemaScope lensing and Bernard Herrmann's score, it isn't a patch on Fitzgerald's novel. The less said about Kazan's The Last Tycoon the better. David Fincher took Fitzgerald's 40 page short story Curious Case Of Benjamin Button and inflated it to a 2 1/2 movie reeking of pretension and self importance. The most successful of the Fitzgerald's adaptations imo is his short story Bernice Bobs Her Hair which was done for TV in 1976 with Shelley Duvall. Short, succinct and utterly charming.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
While recognizing his talents, I'm as allergic to Van Johnson as I'm to JA. Their cinematic couplings were just too extreme and affected my formative years. But I'd rather watch Van than JA.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks