What's new

The Last Ship (TNT) (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Finished up the final two episodes a little while ago. As others have observed, the series finale does a nice job of subverting expectations. Good observation about Titus Welliver's character not ok'ing the shot with Chandler in the line of fire.

Pretty obvious, but Tex is probably going to be the wild card that no one takes into account during season two. Looking forward to the return in 2015.

- Walter.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
TonyD said:
They said right at the end of the show it comes back summer of 2015.
Did it actually say summer? I thought it just said 2015, which would put it in line with most of their shows except Falling Skies as mentioned

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Loved the wrap for this season. Can't help it but the place where the RIBs landed - no where in Baltimore harbor would you find this. In one shot I saw a dumpster stenciled "Al Larson Boat Shop" which happens to be in San Pedro, CA.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Here is my one super duper dense question of the season.
Are the Russians truly out of the picture? Ship heavily damaged, lost loads of crewmembers, but could they re-appear later, just massively pissed off?It's a stretch, but you never know.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Are the Russians truly out of the picture? Ship heavily damaged, lost loads of crewmembers, but could they re-appear later, just massively pissed off?
We saw patient zero out and about amongst the crew, so I would imagine that most of the crew of the Russian ship are going to succumb to the 'red flu'. I had assumed that we would be seeing some remnant of the Russians, with patient zero being crucial to finding a cure but since that appears to no longer be the case, we may be done with that particular ship and crew. Or are we? :)

- Walter.

pip89

Auditioning
Real Name
Shelby
Little late to the discussion and new to the board but HEY! I started watching this on demand and then caught up about episode 3 then started rushing home every sunday night after work to catch the newest episodes. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cast. I loved Eric Dane in Greys Anatomy OMG *faints* and he is even better in this. Love the XO's character a lot too. One of my favorite parts is the whole kara/danny thing.I can't wait till we get to see how they build on that. The whole secret relationship. I've seen every episode already, loved the finale....well its a love hate relationship. I wish this wasn't just a summer series. It'd be nice to have something to watch all fall and such. I haven't gotten into a tv show this much since xfiles and ER... Anyways I can't wait till it comes back on I know they'll figure it out but who and what will they lose along the way...I want to see more development between kara and danny.

Can someone tell me how to do the spoiler thingy?

pip89

Auditioning
Real Name
Shelby
Elizabeth S said:
I've been really enjoying this show -- I almost didn't start watching it since I have so much on my viewing plate. I told my friend at work to watch but it wasn't her type, though her husband likes it. There's things I could nitpik at, but I like the characters and their interactions. I also find the patriotism of the show very moving.
The patriotism gets me too.
I loved when they took Chandler and Tex captive and Chandler refused to work with them. When he kept repeating that same line I seriously clapped like a special baby seal in a pool of fish. LOL

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Shelby, welcome to the HTF. To enter spoiler text into a post use this formatting:

Super secret stuff[ /spoiler]

Just remove the leading space in front of the forward slash and you are good to go.

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the first season. I bet a lot of people who were watching the show were wondering what would be left once they found the vaccine. Them finding a cure made it seem even more problematic. As we saw from the last episode there are a lot of story possibilities.

While watching the series I couldn't help but thinking of the B5 spinoff Crusade. That series was also going to have a lot of story left once the cure for the Drakh plague was found. [Just went back to the first page and saw JoshEH's mention of Crusade.]

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
We saw patient zero out and about amongst the crew, so I would imagine that most of the crew of the Russian ship are going to succumb to the 'red flu'. I had assumed that we would be seeing some remnant of the Russians, with patient zero being crucial to finding a cure but since that appears to no longer be the case, we may be done with that particular ship and crew. Or are we? :)

- Walter.
Patient zero was out, but makes me wonder. Was that a little bit of what is properly called "foreshadowing"?

Could be meaningless, or leaves a nice big possibility for more stories in the future. :P

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Trailer and poster for Season 2 (premiering June 21):
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs3dTWDIxPI[/media]

LastShip_S02_001.jpg

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Nice trailer -- very much looking forward to this show's return after that great season finale. It looks like they manage to overcome the takeover of the ship somehow, and I'm wondering how Alfre Woodard's character will factor into all this.

Also, great to see John Pyper-Ferguson's continued survival.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ahead of the Season 3 premiere four weeks from tomorrow, I'm re-watching the first two seasons on Blu-Ray. I'll chime in with my thoughts as I have them.

Tonight, I re-watched Jonathan Mostow's pilot. Revisiting it two years later, I remain impressed by how jam packed the hour (45 minutes without commercials) is, and by the quality of the production. Some shows feel cheaper when they make the jump from heavy cable TV compression to Blu-Ray's much lower and more careful compression. Not in this case. The Blu-Ray quality made it feel closer to a feature film than ever.

Digging up this thread, I re-read the first couple pages and was reminded of all of the technical complaints about what the show got wrong both procedurally and technologically. Just like the first time, I didn't notice any of them because I was completely swept up in the story and the world.

I was also impressed with the story threads they set up right in the pilot, like the XO's son dying and his ex-wife and daughters heading to the safe zone that he explored in the second season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season 1, Episode 2 - "Welcome to Gitmo"

This second episode is best remembered for the introduction of John Pyper-Ferguson as "Tex" Nolan, a defense contractor guarding the worst of the worst at the American naval base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba. Protected from the virus by the isolation measures put into place to secure the highest value detainees, he joins the crew of the USS Nathan James and will quickly become the go-to character for some of the show's best lines.

Like the pilot, this episode benefits significantly from the high quality presentation afforded by Blu-Ray. Storywise, it's marked step down, trading the somber brutal reality of the pilot for a jingoistic, occasionally cartoonish episodic plot in which the crew is tasked with taking out the surviving detainees. I appreciated that basic logistical concerns like adequate fuel and food continue to be a forefront concern. The cliffhanger, in which the Nathan James is confronted by a renegade Russian admiral, is effective. The subplot with Dr. Scott's fellow scientist plays better now that I know the entire situation. Knowing that the British woman who lulls them into a false sense of security over the radio is the scientist's hostage wife makes the situation marginally more forgivable. I would hope I wouldn't risk the fate of all humanity for the short-term safety of my family, but it's one of those things you can't know until you're in the situation.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Would be nice if they show them getting additional sailors and even a detachment of marines/army soldiers who survived the outbreak.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season 1, Episode 3 - "Dead Reckoning"

For some reason, I remembered the whole Quincy is a Russian mole secret dragging out a lot longer, so it was a nice surprise to have it out in the open in the third episode. I enjoyed the cat and mouse game between the captain and the Russian admiral. Some of the effects that looked dicey on the broadcast played better here, especially the green screen work. Not sure if the better compression helps, or if they massaged the compositing after broadcast.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season 1, Episode 4 - "We'll Get There"

The best episode since the pilot, and the first one that started to figure out the show's potential. No external conflicts, just the ingenuity of the crew pitted against a truly unforgiving set of circumstances. I'd forgotten what a horndog Tex was in the early going. I still don't think the show earned the use of "A Change Is Gonna Come", though the performance was lovely and the celebration scene on the beach that it was featured in was well-executed. It really played up the metaphor of Captain Chandler as Moses leading his people through 40 years in the desert to the Promised Land. Charles Parnell did good work as we learn that he was responsible for the deaths of the rest of his family, and that his faith allowed him to perservere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks