What's new

The Last Seduction DVD on 11/19 (1 Viewer)

Jodee

Screenwriter
I hadn't seen this posted yet, but I know there's other fans of this movie here so I wanted to let everyone know.

The only thing that worries me is that Artisan is putting this out and their track record with OAR lately hasn't been great. I'm hoping this disc will be in widescreen.

This film was originally shot for theatrical release, but aired first on cable. I think there was an OOP Polygram DVD that was 1.33:1 so I'm hoping this new disc will be widescreen.

Great movie with a stunning performance by Linda Fiorentino.

It's already up for pre-order at DVD Empire, but no specs are listed.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Announced but never released.
Are you sure? I remember in the early days of my DVD buying (late 1998- early 1999) seeing a copy at Best Buy but I put it back because it wasn't widescreen. It was very soon after that I heard it was discontinued and then I kicked myself for not buying it since it could have possibly been worth something. Of course, it was gone on my next visit.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well, we can hope it is OAR, and anamorphic.
As far as the original release, I have seen
The Last Seduction on DVD up for auction
at eBay a few times, and it always looked like a
non-bootleg to me.
I got Apartment Zero on DVD under similar
circumstances: found it on eBay, discovered Laserlight
had released it (a legit company that usually handles
"public domain" titles like early Hitchcock), and then
it got pulled over rights issues.
I have been waiting for the release for sooo long,
I keep watching Dahl's other films thinking, "Why is
his best work still not on DVD?"
regards,
Mark

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I'm fairly sure the Last Seduction has never had a DVD release. It was announced by Polygram just before their library was bought out by MGM, Universal, USA, etc.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Last Seduction is currently available in anamorphic widescreen from R4 Australia and R2 France. Unless there is some indication that the upcoming R1 release will be a SE, there is no reason not to get it from R4/R2.
Ted

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ted-
Unless of course you don't own a region-free player,
which most don't.
;)
Mark

Jodee

Screenwriter
I'm fairly sure the Last Seduction has never had a DVD release. It was announced by Polygram just before their library was bought out by MGM, Universal, USA, etc.
I know this was true of Valley Girl and The Sure Thing -- they were both announced in January 1999 but then cancelled during the Polygram-Universal merger and subsequent spin-off of PolyGram Video. As a result, they occasionally show up as "OOP" on various retail databases, but as far as I know no retail copies ever escaped.
However, I am pretty sure The Last Seduction came out before then as I remember seeing it at Best Buy and it also occasionally pops up on Ebay.
I just checked Amazon.com and under "Technical Information" the Last Seduction DVD was released on March 23, 1998, which was almost a year before the demise of PolyGram Video.
There just weren't that many DVD players/buyers back then, so I doubt enough of these were ever in the market to begin with.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I just checked Amazon.com and under "Technical Information" the Last Seduction DVD was released on March 23, 1998, which was almost a year before the demise of PolyGram Video.
Amazon is notoriously unreliable. If you check the IMDb, no DVD release is listed.

M.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Jodee,

I've had my player since Sept 97 and being a particular fan of this movie, I know it was never released. I hope Artisan does it justice.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
The UK R2 release is also a plain disk but is anamorphic 1.78 widescreen.
This is very unusual for Carlton who normally only release p/s and is part of their Silver Collection of budget titles so is available here for under USD15.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
But I thought the IMDB got their DVD info strictly from Amazon -- if Amazon doesn't carry the DVD, the IMDB won't list it...
I thought so too, but obviously there are other sources. Amazon frequently lists incorrect informationa about upcoming releases (street date, features, etc.), and I suspect that information sometimes doesn't get purged from the database.

M.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I picked up the UK R2 release at HMV for less than £9. Movie only, but no complaints.

As far as non-availability of multi-region players goes, well, that depends on where you live:

Richer Sounds in the UK sells chipped players retail at a very reasonable price.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ted- :) (Regions be damned! Now can we get everything
on NTSC inteaed of PAL and SECAM???)
RE: Amazon
According to them and IMDB, Apartment Zero
was never on DVD, and I was hesitant about buying a
non-legit DVD on eBay....and IMDB (and Amazon) were wrong.
(ANd I have usually noticed that they list OOP titles as
being on DVD, even if they are no longer available from
retailers.
Still, I never have actually seen the DVD for
The Last Seduction, so it could all be
delusion on my part.
Mark

Craig_T

Second Unit
Since when did Artisan get any of the old Polygram titles? I assumed this was going to be an MGM release.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Ted- (Regions be damned! Now can we get everything on NTSC inteaed of PAL and SECAM???)
Just for everyone's info, there is no such thing as SECAM DVDs (PAL/NTSC only). And considering PAL's higher resolution, there are at least some people who would be very unhappy about an NTSC only world...

Ted

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Since when did Artisan get any of the old Polygram titles? I assumed this was going to be an MGM release.
Another "devil in the details". Polygram's library at one time contained the assets of the U.K. company ITC, which included lots of TV shows like SPACE 1999 and THE PRISONER, and movies like SOPHIE'S CHOICE and THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL. When MGM bought the pre-'96 Polygram library, to pare down the debt, they sold the ITC portion to Carlton Communications, the former Rank Organisation.
THE LAST SEDUCTION is one of the ITC productions. This is likely why Artisan is handling it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks