1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Last Seduction" ? 16:9 in the works

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RoyGBiv, Nov 15, 2005.

1. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

The title really says it all. What is the OAR for this movie? I know that the current DVD is 4:3, and I know it was originally shown on HBO, which shows everything P&S, and which is why it didn't qualify for the Academy Awards. Is that the OAR? Is there another disc in the offing for this film? I have only seen it once, on HBO, and I am wondering if it is worth trying to find or waiting for something to happen with a new edition.

TIA

SMK

2. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

The film was shot open-matte in a 4:3 ratio, although the director would have intended it to be shown in theatres in a matted 1.85 ratio.

Artisan have been notoriously lazy about putting out their back-catalog films on DVD in the correct OAR. They messed up the DVD release of "The Long Walk Home" in this way, and that film was shot in a 1.85 ratio in the camera, so there was absolutely no excuse for not releasing it in the correct ratio on DVD. They just appear not to care about these things.

With "The Last Seduction", even though the DVD is not anamorphically enhanced, at least if you have a wide-screen TV, you can use the mode that zooms into the image and watch the film in more or less the correct ratio.

3. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the information. That's what I will plan to do.

SMK