'The Last Horror Movie (unrated)' My Lord.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Inspector Hammer!, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've been on a real horror kick for the last couple of months, thanks to my new rental account at Block Buster.com, and i'm having a really good time.

However, that kick has led me to a film that I really wish I could erase not only from my memory, but from existence as well. It's called The Last Horror Movie and it is without question, one of the most appaling, amoral, sadistic and depraved spectacles i've witnessed.

If you think that Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is sick, people, you ain't seen nothin'!

It concerns a serial killer in England who, with the help of a cameraman, is making a homemade film about his exploits, he goes around murdering innocent citizens on camera in the most horrific ways imaginable while, in between murders and sometimes DURING murders, speaks to the camera offering us, the would be future viewer, extremely unwanted and boundlessly unpleasant insights into the mind of pure evil.

The killer is an intelligent man, who reminded me a lot of Patrick Bateman from American Psycho, and not the happy go lucky film version of him, I mean the book version, and those who read that book know what i'm talking about.

I know that I often fall victim to making broad claims about movies here, but I am deadly serious, this film doesn't fuck around in the slightest, it is truly an aweful, aweful experience, not because of the quality of the film, that at least is very good, but because of the subject matter, it's pretty much a how-to film about murder, a Serial Killing For Dummies put to film.

I cannot fathom why films like this are made, they offer no entertainment value and seem to only exist to disturb, shock, cause dispair and force the viewer to reflect and ponder on just how sick our world really is. I almost turned it off a couple of times, but, like rubbernecking an accident scene, I couldn't look away.

See it, but consider yourselves warned. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go put something funny on to watch...right now.

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Hmmm, your silence tells me that none of you know this movie, that's good, trust me. [​IMG]

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I rented it a few months ago after glowing buzz in "Fangoria" magazine...hated it, but for a different reason: I thought it was so over-hyped and not terribly scary. I don't recall it being QUITE as sadistic as you did, but I agree it was still a waste of time.

4. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I watched it a few months back and just felt a big "been there, done that" sensation the whole time(not in the personal sense, thankfully, just cinematically!).

While the murders were admittedly disturbing, I thought the killer was pretty boring. I get tired of movies where they just talk endlessly about how they stalk, who looks like a good victim, yada yada. Killing for killing's sake just isn't entertainment. For better or worse, at least Henry or Natural Born Killers had points to make. TLHM doesn't.

5. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

6. Cory H.

Cory H. Stunt Coordinator

"TLHM" is very much a "Man Bites Dog" spin-off, horror style. In typical Fangoria fashion, it was boring, pretentious, bloating, and incredibly overhyped.

Can you tell I didn't like it, either?

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

It beats watching Beijing Bicycle on IFC for the six hundredth time.......

8. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I felt the same way about watching Pink Flamingoes. Wanted something quirky but got...[​IMG]

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Sounds exactly like Man Bites Dog to me. No reason to watch that one again. It had it's moments (dueling killers each with film crew was humorous), but kind of collapses under it's own navel gazing.