What's new

The Last Blu-ray/UHD Blu-ray You Watched (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S

UYHTF13607-2.jpg
15759_1.jpg
UYHTF13607-4.png

tumblr_ofpzvcQqjR1qaqx8xo2_500.gifv

ebc279eec9dea492101051a2743dfa64.gif

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Scream Factory's Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

I knew it had a bad reputation, but I have at least one friend who goes to bat *zing* for it and I thought the combined efforts of Mel Brooks and Leslie Nielsen couldn't possibly be THAT awful.

I was wrong. Oh, boy, was I wrong.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Scream Factory's Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

I knew it had a bad reputation, but I have at least one friend who goes to bat *zing* for it and I thought the combined efforts of Mel Brooks and Leslie Nielsen couldn't possibly be THAT awful.

I was wrong. Oh, boy, was I wrong.
Nice, Kent!

I happen to like most of Scream's releases, including the awesome steelbook they put out of John Carpenter's The Fog (as I posted above; actually, they released a whole gaggle of Carpenter flicks in limited edition steelbook packaging like this), and I continue to add to my collection as regularly as I can. I only own one UHD Blu from the studio thus far, and that's Halloween III: Season of the Witch).

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Nice, Kent!

I happen to like most of Scream's releases, including the awesome steelbook they put out of John Carpenter's The Fog (as I posted above; actually, they released a whole gaggle of Carpenter flicks in limited edition steelbook packaging like this), and I continue to add to my collection as regularly as I can. I only own one UHD Blu from the studio thus far, and that's Halloween III: Season of the Witch).
I just got my copy of Alligator in 4K and I'm itching to watch it. It'll be the first time for me.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I just got my copy of Alligator in 4K and I'm itching to watch it. It'll be the first time for me.
Yeah, saw that was released...

Don't think I ever watched it, unless I'm confusing it with other stuff like Lake Placid.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Threw this in yet again to run more tests for spin-up/loading noise, being that I was told on another forum that this title -- along with a number of others (including Joker, which I also own on 4K Blu-ray and which also exhibits somewhat loud boot-up/load noises in my player) -- is known to exhibit loading noise in the Panasonic DP-UB9000 following a firmware update (that I completed months ago). The last time I watched this (before this very last time), the player made the boot-up sounds AND refused to load the disc upon first try -- during this last viewing, the disc loaded but made the chuffing/loading noise.

SO bizzare...

51cuUgKsL-L.jpg
images
81z+QNYSGbL._CR0,204,1224,1224_UX175.jpg

FkRN.gif

YoZB.gif

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Rewatched this for the first time since the theater. I felt the same about it now as I did then. Pretty fun, mid-tier MCU stuff that I wish had stuck to being a "real" kung fu movie instead of getting super fantasy-based with the jump into heavily CGI'd wuxia stuff. The highlight is the bus fight towards the beginning.

Also, demerits for the overuse of a terrible song by a terrible band. Let's just say I agree with The Dude about the Eagles.
Shang Chi.jpeg

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I keep hoping for a set of these in 4K. No idea why only the last one has gotten a release. I'm a big fan, regardless of what I may think of the real Warrens. The movie Warrens are great.
I said the same thing about the first two sequels not being in 4K (I'm a massive fan of the franchise) but to be honest, those two 1080p Bly-rays look absolutely reference grade, to this day, and their accompanying audio tracks remain house rockers, as well. There's really nothing wrong with the first two Conjurings on Blu, save for their lack of HDR, of course, though the saturation points and clarity of detail on those discs are at times more than capable of making up for it.

What is your issue with the real Warrens? I ask because I was friends with someone who worked with them as a research assistant on the infamous Amityville case (I lived about 20 minutes from the real house most of my life) and who knew them well, ultimately sharing with me his sentiments about how compassionate and genuine they were (Ed sometimes not so much, but definitely Lorraine).

I never personally put stock in the whole "they make a living out of scaring people from their homes" accusation they're often saddled with, but, irrespective of that, I was sad to hear of Lorraine's passing.

As for the actors portraying them, yeah, Wilson and Farmiga definitely have a chemistry together playing these roles, but sometimes I feel like there could have been something of a better casting choice, notably for Ed -- I just don't buy Patrick Wilson as Mr. Warren, no matter how many times I watch these films and try to get beyond it.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Rewatched this for the first time since the theater. I felt the same about it now as I did then. Pretty fun, mid-tier MCU stuff that I wish had stuck to being a "real" kung fu movie instead of getting super fantasy-based with the jump into heavily CGI'd wuxia stuff. The highlight is the bus fight towards the beginning.

Also, demerits for the overuse of a terrible song by a terrible band. Let's just say I agree with The Dude about the Eagles.
View attachment 133008
What don't you like about the Eagles?

I missed this in theaters and never rented it; was it that good?

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I said the same thing about the first two sequels not being in 4K (I'm a massive fan of the franchise) but to be honest, those two 1080p Bly-rays look absolutely reference grade, to this day, and their accompanying audio tracks remain house rockers, as well. There's really nothing wrong with the first two Conjurings on Blu, save for their lack of HDR, of course, though the saturation points and clarity of detail on those discs are at times more than capable of making up for it.

What is your issue with the real Warrens? I ask because I was friends with someone who worked with them as a research assistant on the infamous Amityville case (I lived about 20 minutes from the real house most of my life) and who knew them well, ultimately sharing with me his sentiments about how compassionate and genuine they were (Ed sometimes not so much, but definitely Lorraine).

I never personally put stock in the whole "they make a living out of scaring people from their homes" accusation they're often saddled with, but, irrespective of that, I was sad to hear of Lorraine's passing.

As for the actors portraying them, yeah, Wilson and Farmiga definitely have a chemistry together playing these roles, but sometimes I feel like there could have been something of a better casting choice, notably for Ed -- I just don't buy Patrick Wilson as Mr. Warren, no matter how many times I watch these films and try to get beyond it.
There's been some pretty strange accusations made about their personal lives that sort of pile on to the whole idea of them being "charlatans." I don't know how much is real, but I've never assumed they were completely on the level, so when I say "regardless of what I may think of the real Warrens," I'm not trying to be overly negative, but I also am not going to go around defending them as a true believer.

As far as the Eagles go, I think they're the Nickelback of country rock and I can't stand them. Hotel California is one of my unholy trinity of songs which, if sung for karaoke, makes me want to hit someone with a chair, alongside Margaritaville and American Pie.

I think Shang-Chi is worth a watch, especially if you're into the MCU stuff. It's blockbuster fluff, but I tend to like blockbuster fluff when it's done to this level of competency.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
There's been some pretty strange accusations made about their personal lives that sort of pile on to the whole idea of them being "charlatans." I don't know how much is real, but I've never assumed they were completely on the level, so when I say "regardless of what I may think of the real Warrens," I'm not trying to be overly negative, but I also am not going to go around defending them as a true believer.
Those accusations weren't true; this is coming from someone who was at least touched by their circles of acquaintances.

Without getting into it too much (I wrote a paper for a pre-law class I had taken at New York's Hofstra University around '91/'92 about the De Feo murder defense and how it connected to the Amityville "haunting" phenomenon), Ed and Lorraine were essentially attacked by Jay Anson (author of The Amityville Horror novel), William Weber (attorney for Ron De Feo), Stephen Kaplan (a certified de-bunking nutjob who tried to kill the careers of anyone involved in what he called a coverup but who offered no proof when pressed; he was responsible for the cringe-inducing Amityville Hoax book) and Dr. Hans Holzer (one of the investigators of the Lutz family claims in Amityville, who came to the house on one of the evenings the Warrens were there) in an attempt by these people -- and others -- to smear their names and spin some yarns over personal fallouts.

That was the genesis -- the launching off point -- for the rumors and accusations that would follow, some of them downright cruel and immoral.
As far as the Eagles go, I think they're the Nickelback of country rock and I can't stand them. Hotel California is one of my unholy trinity of songs which, if sung for karaoke, makes me want to hit someone with a chair, alongside Margaritaville and American Pie.
Wow; okay....I like the band and their songs, even the most popular of them (and consider "HC" a classic rock staple), but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'll give you "Margaritaville" and "American Pie," though; to label these songs "an effort in redefining overrated" is something of a gross understatement.

I like some of Nickelback's songs, to be honest, notably "Savin' Me." ;)
I think Shang-Chi is worth a watch, especially if you're into the MCU stuff. It's blockbuster fluff, but I tend to like blockbuster fluff when it's done to this level of competency.
Thanks; I'll give it a rental spin -- I think our local Redboxes still carry it.

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Finally checked this off my list of shame. Of all the Jaws rip-offs, this is one of the better ones I've seen with Forrester's deadpan performance and Sayles' witty-yet-nasty scripting lifting it above similar fare.

alligator.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks