1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Last American Virgin (1982) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 11 Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Will Krupp likes this.
  2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Great film from the 80s, but perhaps with the cruelest, most heartbreaking ending of any film from that era.

Richard V likes this.
  3. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned
    BANNED

EricJ
    It wasn't until the "Electric Boogaloo: Story of Cannon Pictures" documentary that I found out that TLAV was supposed to be an Americanized remake of Menachem Golan's "Lemon Popsicle" series, the biggest teen series of Israeli cinema. (And including original Popsicle director Boaz Davidson.)

And which explains most of the plot conventions you didn't normally see in most US teen comedies, despite being a few years ahead of most of Porky's iconography.

4. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I actually don't think the ending was cruel or heartbreaking at all. I know we're supposed to sympathize with Gary (Lawrence Monoson), but...Well, take a look at this article I wrote a few months back, and you'll see what I think of the movie's ending, as well as several other 80s films: http://popgeeks.net/just-movie/

As for the upcoming release, I'm disappointed that this won't have any of the extras of the European Blu-Ray. I was hoping that this title would've ended up with Shout! Factory or Kino Lorber Studio Classics, but beggars can't be choosers.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I'm also hoping that "Electric Boogaloo", the Cannon Films documentary, is released in home entertainment format in America soon. Other countries have it already...I hope we get it soon, too.

5. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    Ron, I completely agree about the ending. Love the movie though. The locker room measuring scene was a LOL riot. I will definitely pick it up when it hits the $15 price point.

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    John, interesting article, especially your take on The Little Mermaid (a movie that has been IMO unfairly criticized for not being PC enough).

But I disagree that the Rick/ Karen "argument" in The Last American Virgin was just an argument.

He made it crystal clear that he wanted nothing to do with her when he found out she was pregnant. When that was no longer an issue, he was again interested. And she took him right back, after using Gary for emotional and financial support. The implication is that Gary has built up an idealized image of a person who in reality is a shallow user.

And the financial support wasn't "most of Gary's money;" it was *all* of his money, plus money from hocking his stereo, plus, IIRC, money stolen from his parents, plus money borrowed from his boss!

Then again, they're all teenagers, so we shouldn't expect rational behavior. :) I can think of things I did as a teenager that make me cringe now.

The tone of the second half of the film is jarringly different from that of the first half.

BTW:

You're right. But that's not an interpretation; it's spelled out explicitly in the closing narration! :)

7. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Thanks for the compliment, Aaron, and you're right that it is spelled out in the closing narration, but I talk about TV Tropes several times in the article, and on their page for "The Breakfast Club", some of the Tropers seem to have missed that narration, thus the discussion of Alternate Character Interpretation.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

To get back on topic, is there any way that Olive can license the special features for the European Blu-Ray or is it too late for that?

8. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Wow. . . . SO much Eighties in just one trailer!

Okay, I might have to grab this when it comes out, just for the soundtrack alone!

Aaron Silverman likes this.
  9. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    Nice! I was cleaning out duplicate DVDs today and found two DVD releases of this film in my collection. I haven't seen it in years. I'll be picking up the Blu-ray when available!

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Ironically that trailer starts out with Human League's "Love Action", but the DVD and European Blu-Ray have that song's appearance in the actual movie replaced with a 2nd playing of Devo's "Whip It".

I once made someone cry by showing this movie and saying it had a happy ending- she didn't pick up my sarcasm! ;)

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    "See it or be it!" Classic! :D