The Larry Sanders Show

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ThibaultLonguet, Feb 3, 2004.

1. ThibaultLonguet

Does anyone know if there's a chance to see more seasons of The Larry Sanders Show released? -I know the 1st season was a shitty release but the show is so great! Plus with all this Tv-on-dvd rush maybe there's a place for that show on the market.

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Thibault, I don't think there's any chance at all. Season 1 sold poorly and the people I speak to at Columbia TriStar have indicated there won't be any more sets released.

Gord

3. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

That´s so sad.
    I really want the rest of this series. Not because I want to complete the series but because I REALLY love this show!

Please Columbia!

4. ThibaultLonguet

Thanks a lot Gord for this very quick -although sad[​IMG] - response!

Thibault.

5. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

It sold very poorly because Columbia charged way too much for the set, and shot themselves in the foot.

6. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Some of these studios really tick me off. I have The Larry Sanders Show first season on DVD, and all-in-all, the picture quality is below substandard. It's horrible!!! But then they want to blame the public for it not selling better. To all studios: Please here this:

Put Out a Quality Product and We'll Buy It!!!

Also, enough with the "Best of" Sets. I don't buy "Best of" Sets because I want entire seasons. So the backwards thinking of the studio geniuses says, "Let's put out a "Best of" Set and see how well it does. Guess what? It's NOT gonna do well, because the real DVD buyers out there want entire seasons and don't want to be screwed over by having to buy the same episodes all over again.

Gord, talk to these people, will you?

7. David Dias

David Dias Stunt Coordinator

Well said Mike.

I too would love to see the rest of "The Larry Sanders Show" released on DVD and would buy it in a heartbeat. What probably needs to happen is Garry Shandling appearing in some successful movie or something, and then Columbia Tristar might then reconsider releasing the rest of this great series. Just an idea.

8. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Yep, and not to mention that many people are probably more interested in the later episodes.

9. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

They must not have done much advertising either, I didn't even realize until reading this thread that it had been released in the first place.

10. Gord Lacey

Mara, the set came out awhile ago. It was one of their first TV DVD releases, not including some of the kids/animated titles they did.

Gord

11. ThibaultLonguet

Damn right!

Studios that release "best of" sets don't seem to realise that TV series are based on the development of characters from season to season and often contain sub-plots so isolated episodes are much less interesting. Plus a season often has its own tone and I think it must be considered as a whole.

Thibault.

12. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

Hey, I love the show, but isn't it just possible that there isn't as big a demand for this series as we'd like? It's easy to blame the studio, but perhaps this wasn't on the wish list of the general public.

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Stu Rosen is right. Larry Sanders was a critical darling, but it never achieved the wide audience of subsequent HBO hits like The Sopranos. It's sometime hard to remember how recently it was that HBO's original programming came to be regarded as mainstream fare.

M.

14. ThibaultLonguet

I also think the DVDs came out too early when the TV-on-DVD phenomena had not really started yet. Maybe if it came out right now and was well marketed sales would be better.

Thibault.

15. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Well, for a series that sold so badly, this is about the third thread that's come up about it.

For the record, I agree - it's a tragedy. Shandling should do a Lynch and start selling them himself.

16. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I was originally going to say that too, since it was a 'cable' show, and HBO was not as 'mainstream' as it is now, but I could only speculate. The freedom of cable allowed the language and content to be more adult-oriented, so this (like the Sopranos) is not one you really want to watch while the kids are still up.

I still think it'a great series, and deserves another chance. Maybe if CTSHV did a price reduction and tried again with season 2 there might be more takers.

17. Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford Stunt Coordinator

Its a disgrace if one of the best comedy shows ever is not available when the market is flooded with any old tv show they can think of.

I just dont believe that the demand for LS is less than some of the shit that you can buy on dvd now.

[​IMG]

18. Gord Lacey

Apparently Larry Sanders hasn't performed well for Columbia TriStar in syndication either, so it's not just the DVDs.

Gord

19. Stephen Ford

Thats interesting.

I still think enough people would buy barebones sets of this show.

If we have to wait for Gary Shandling to star in a big film before these get released then they will never come out.

Im just very frustrated about this.

Perhaps when this syndication deal has ended they may want to make them available to get a few more $ from the show ?

20. Stephen Ford

It would be good to get "Its Gary Shandlings Show" on dvd as well.

Who owns the rights to that show ?