The Larry Sanders Show (every rumor about future releases in one place)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Stephen Lilley, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Stephen Lilley

Stephen Lilley Stunt Coordinator

I know I can't be the only one that has been waiting since 2002 for the remaining five seasons of this amazing, award winning HBO comedy.

First off, a little about the show for the uninitiated (from Wikipedia):

While it isn't the remaining seasons, at least it's *something*, and it's essentially confirmed, unlike the "Best Of" set. If this sells well enough, perhaps this can be motivation for the release of the rest of the series.

Also, this *could* be what Piven referenced that he was working on, if the conversation mentioned above actually took place. It wouldn't be the first time somebody misspoke when talking about DVD releases of this show.

2. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    I never got to see all of the episodes of this series and I haven't noticed it airing in reruns in a long time. So I'm hoping any future set sells well. I think one of the obvious reasons that the first set did not sell is because this show appeals in large part to an older, intelligent audience. And those those shows do not always sell well. Apprantly they do not contain enough special effects and naked people shooting each other to please the 12 year olds who make up the bulk of entertainment buyers these days. Also, the first season may not have been advertised as well as it should have been. So a lot of people may not have even known that it was out.

I don't understand why when a new movie or TV or CD comes out, you see the performers involved everywhere hawking it regardless of the quality of it. Yet when a DVD release is imminent you rarely see the stars of that show out promoting it like they should be. Even the ones who would stand to benefit from the release financially. I contribute part of the success of Seinfeld and Roseanne to it's stars getting off their duffs and pushing it. And at least Garry talks about the releases when he makes appearances. Even though it sounds like he mispeaks about things that never seem to happen.

3. Stephen Lilley

As far as reruns go, I know it is currently being rerun in its original, unedited form on ITV4 in the UK. They are currently up to about midway through season four now. Various folks I've talked to over there have emailed ITV4 to see just how much of the series they are going to be showing, but nobody has gotten a straight answer. Fingers crossed that they end up showing it all. For the UKers out there, at least.

I wish it'd come back to Bravo. I can even remember it being in heavy syndication on local channels a few years back, but nothing now, sadly.

4. Alan Lee UK

Alan Lee UK Stunt Coordinator

"Original, unedited form" in this case meaning with an ITV4 logo in the top left corner of the screen throughout, an advert break crudely hacked into the middle, in-programme pointers for the next show and credits squashed and/or talked over!

Even so, I am archiving season 2 onwards onto DVD just incase the remaining seasons never get a proper release.

5. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

Me too. However, it never occured to me that ITV 4 wouldn't show the series in it's entirety! I wish it was on more than 3 times a week though!!!

I'll say this - the quality of the image from SKY+ is actually better than the R1 set 1 released a few years back. Although sadly we have to put up with the logo, crude ad break and all the above that Alan Lee mentions, I'll take this way of getting them as opposed to nothing.

Can't say I'd be interested in 'best of' and 'retrospectives.' I really wish someone - image? - would release the whole lot in one go. I'd be all over it.

I haven't watched these episodes in about 7 or 8 years and I had forgotten how viciously funny it was. I love Curb Your Enthusaim but it's tame compared to Sanders.

What is Garry Shandling doing now?

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Besides Twin Peaks: Season Two (which may actually come out this year), the other seasons of The Larry Sanders Show are at the top of my most wanted TV list.

7. Stephen Lilley

Yeah. "Original, unedited form" only meaning the show isn't censored for content. I'd assume the ad break is ridiculously annoying considering there is no such natural break built into the show, as is the logo being there the entire time.

8. Alan Lee UK

Alan Lee UK Stunt Coordinator

The ad break would be OK if they could just leave half a second or so of black screen between the end of a scene and the break bumper slide. Instead it cuts in before the last word of the scene has barely had time to leave the actor's mouth.

9. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    I'm wondering why HBO doesn't seem to be airing these reruns anymore (like on HBO Signature) ? They certainly have no problem showing those four gals who live in the city or that mafia family who kills everyone.

10. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    The continued absence of this show on DVD (other than S1) is one of the great mysteries of the format. Seasons were only 13 half hour episdes so HBO could easily release these as double season releases to give the appearance of giving value to the consumer.

If Shandling himself is holding this up, does he want his legacy to be represented on DVD by "Town and Country"??

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Sony is releasing them (not HBO). While I don't know for sure, I doubt Garry Shandling can stop or speed up their releases.

12. Stephen Lilley

Only the first season was 13 episodes. The second season was 18, the third season was 17, the fourth season was 16, the fifth season was 12, and season six was 10 episodes, with one of them being the hour long series finale.

God only knows why.

13. Mike*SC

Mike*SC Second Unit

Nobody would be more overjoyed than I to see more "Larry Sanders" on DVD. To me, it is one of the greatest comedies of all time, and the more I watch it, the more I love it.

The problem is, the show has never caught on beyond a deeply loyal following. It never got ratings on HBO, but it was a prestigious show for them, and since HBO works on a different model from broadcast networks, the cachet alone kept it on the air.

I had hoped against hope that the show would catch on on DVD, in the way some limited appeal shows have. Apparently, it did not. There could be many reasons for that (perhaps it came out just before TV on DVD caught on), but clearly, Sony sees no upside in releasing more. Still, I hold out hope that, someday, I can own the entire series.

14. Stephen Lilley

I think that THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW has been ahead of its time in more ways than one, which continues to be reflected in it's lack of a huge following.

It was a comedy on HBO during the nineties before HBO programming became the juggernaut that it would later in the decade. I mean, compare THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW to current favorite CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, and I think you'll find a great deal of similarities between the two.

The first season also hit DVD before the TV on DVD craze caught on. Not to mention it was a tad overpriced initially at $50 for 13 half hour episodes and an interview.

15. Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee Stunt Coordinator

True, but the Bravo episodes were edited for content, which ruined the show when Hank was going to buy Elvis Costello's car, and obsessed how much "p***sy" he was going to pick up riding around in it. The "P" word was edited, and the show just wasn't the same.

16. Kenny Neal

Kenny Neal Stunt Coordinator

Another log to heap on the rumor mill pyre... Shandling was on Ellen this past Spring and mentioned that he was working on a Larry Sanders Show DVD set. She asked him if it would be a whole season or a "best" of." He said "best of."

17. Stephen Lilley

Now, two of the episodes are already available on the "The Entire First Season" DVD release, which I believe is available in the UK as well as in the US. If Sony was willing to put out a "Best of" collection, wouldn't it be easier to just port one that already exists? Unless Shandling is just adding features to this set...

... and how the set can not include the series finale is beyond me.

18. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    This is far from the first funny, intelligent show to never catch the wave of mass appeal. Television history is littered with shows that deserved better than they got. Arrested Devlopment, anyone ? But at least that one's on DVD.

19. Stephen Lilley

Speaking of THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW - has anyone here read the book? CONFESSIONS OF A LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW HOST - THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF LARRY SANDERS. I keep seeing it pop up on eBay all the time and consider picking it up considering it is out of print, but I can't really tell if it's a good read or just completely worthless. I'm assuming it'd be pretty good, but you never know.

20. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

Yep - it's frickin hilarious. Will not disappoint. Has the same tone as the show. You'll get what you expect.