What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A double-edged sword, for me. I actually bought mine to watch, learn and enjoy. No way, at the time, would I had imagined the enormity of financial gains through selling sealed tins; which makes me wish I bought duplicates. But, then again, had I been able to afford duplicates then I also could have afforded each and every one; which wasn't the case. Impressive that bujaki has 'em all; and even more impressive that John Sparks was able to capture a cool 3K. Just think, I could have bought myself a much coveted Plasma or 4K; courtesy of Walt Disney; and that, my friends, would truly be my other Treasure.:)
Ehhh, I'd take the discs over a fancy new TV or the money.

Those sets are my "if the house is burning down and you only have time to grab one thing from your movie shelves" choice.
Don't forget, Josh; I said "...makes me wish I bought duplicates". Sell 'em? Not these Treasures.
BTW, all of my Treasures are isolated and contained in one of those Staples storage boxes. No fires shall get these; as I spent 9 years catching those Disney's Waves.

UPDATE: Upon further review, I discovered that I had more than realized. 19 tins. So, the largest collection within my BD/DVD library; as it turns out; includes the Disney Treasures. My apologies to Thomas Mitchell, who now holds the 6th spot. But, then again, he still holds the numbers for taking the highest, within my INADVERTENT collection.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I used to love all things Disney until we took my daughter to Disney world in Florida 20 years ago. It was such a chilling example of corporate greed that I don’t think I have ever recovered my earlier positive emotion.
I found it to be a cold hard place built strictly for profit. I can imagine armies of people with frozen smiles and mouse ears marching in lock step to the horizon!

Ok, I am severely exaggerating. Perhaps it was the comparison to the Universal parks that caused the bad impression, or maybe it was lining up for hours with a 9 year old to see Mickey Mouse.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I used to love all things Disney until we took my daughter to Disney world in Florida 20 years ago. It was such a chilling example of corporate greed that I don’t think I have ever recovered my earlier positive emotion.
I found it to be a cold hard place built strictly for profit. I can imagine armies of people with frozen smiles and mouse ears marching in lock step to the horizon!

Ok, I am severely exaggerating. Perhaps it was the comparison to the Universal parks that caused the bad impression, or maybe it was lining up for hours with a 9 year old to see Mickey Mouse.
Well, try to love the early animation all over again;
as those shorts were drawn up long before the Blue-Prints for Disney World.;)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This is all off the top of my head as I don't officially track what's in the collection and have never made a list of most (usually only when the desire to own "everything" takes over with certain genres/series).

Without a doubt it's Star Trek. I own all the series and movies, even the NuTrek ones, on both DVD and BR.

After that, it's British Comedy with 50 of the "Britain's Best Sitcoms" (1st 10, 11-100) in my collection (R1 & R2 DVD releases).

TVonDVD comprises the bulk of my collection with over 300 complete series and another 75 or so still in progress.

With movies, genre wise, it's comedy, SF/Fantasy, Horror in order of number of titles owned.

I don't generally collect movies based solely on the director or stars involved but they do have influence.

Of the movie collection, these are the largest runs:

The Three Stooges: All commercially available shorts and movies on DVD and BR and a couple of the better documentaries.
Abbott and Costello: All movies on DVD, some on BR, and their TV series.
Laurel and Hardy: All commercially available shorts and movies.
Hammer Horror: All commercially available movies on R1 DVD, most on BR, and the TV series.
Universal Horror: All commercially available "monster" movies on DVD (list here), some (the Legacy Collections) on BR.
MGM Midnite Movies: All but 3 of the double-feature releases and all of the single releases not available in double-feature releases (list here) on DVD with BR upgrades of many. Includes all DVD, non MM titled, releases of the VHS only titles.
James Bond: All films on DVD with the Sean Connery, Roger Moore, and George Lazenby films on BR.
Elvis Presley: Most on DVD (one of a few "accidental" runs in my collection)
Jackie Chan: Most of his US output and a large portion of the better R1 releases of his foreign output.
John Wayne: Most of his available output on DVD (another somewhat accidental collection).
Vincent Price: All available horror/SF movies on DVD, most on BR.
Bob Hope: All available movies on DVD.
Charlie Chan: All available movies on DVD.
Almost all (Might be all - I've not checked in a while) of the SF movies released from 1930 to 1970 which have been made available on DVD.
Movie Serials: 59 complete.

Large runs of The Little Rascals, Bowery Boys, Shirley Temple (all the movies), Martin & Lewis, Toho Godzilla franchise (everything up to 1975 or so), and a few others.

Minor, complete, runs: Mel Brooks (DVD & BR), Stanley Kubrick (DVD & BR), Marx Brothers (DVD & BR), and a few more.

I'm sure there are other large runs of other actor's output in the collection but I don't generally purchase solely based on involvement of an actor or director even if they are a favorite. If I've never seen a movie, I purchase based on the genre and synopsis, taking the director/actors involved and reviews from "trusted" reviewers into consideration. For those I've seen, which number in the thousands, it's based solely on my memories of the film.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I have 278 of the 305 films listed in "The Encyclopedia of Film Noir." 15 are DVD-Rs that I recorded from TCM, etc. One (Baby Face Nelson, starring Mickey Rooney) is a bootleg I picked up somewhere. The rest are legit DVDs and Blu-rays.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I have 278 of the 305 films listed in "The Encyclopedia of Film Noir." 15 are DVD-Rs that I recorded from TCM, etc. One (Baby Face Nelson, starring Mickey Rooney) is a bootleg I picked up somewhere. The rest are legit DVDs and Blu-rays.
278 out of 305 ? Now that's impressive !!
The bootleg, though...well, one single mistake out of 278 can be forgiven; but only if you replace it with a legit copy.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Holy Cow !!!
This topic and thread made today's Home Theater Forum "User Generated" front page;
with a color picture lay-out and all.
Thanks, HTF.:)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
278 out of 305 ? Now that's impressive !!
The bootleg, though...well, one single mistake out of 278 can be forgiven; but only if you replace it with a legit copy.:thumbs-up-smiley:

All I need is for there to be a legit release! I periodically check online to see if any of my missing titles have been released.

I also have I Walk Alone and The Turning Point recorded on Super Beta (probably 25 years ago), but I didn't include them in my total. I have no idea if they are still watchable. I still have the Sony Super Beta machine and I'll have to fire it up one of these days.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Never actually counted, but if I had to guess, would likely be either Spielberg, or Lee Marvin (if you count all his starring and co-starring roles, he was quite the prolific actor)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Abbott & Costello -
All 28 Universal features from 1940-1955 (Two of them on Blu-ray), plus AFRICA SCREAMS! (1949) and JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (1952).
As a footnote, I also have their complete syndicated ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW Television series.

Do you have ABBOTT & COSTELLO IN HOLLYWOOD and LOST IN A HAREM? They are both MGM features.

Lou's solo effort, THE 30-FOOT BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK, is available as a Sony MOD.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Of course, we're talking Largest Collections (BD/DVD); but one - as a sidebar - can also add to the mix those collections which are complete, yet had a tighter reign on the output or body of work.
In my case, it would be David Lean and Stanley Kubrick.
I wish I could say that I had all of the Charlie Chaplin features;
but, then again, I can state that I have all that Criterion has released, thus far.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks