What's new

The large outdoor screens on Princess cruise ships not HD! (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I don't know where to post this but does anyone know where on the internet other than places like cruisecritic.com you can talk to someone about the outdoor screens on Princees cruise ships? I just returned from another cruise with Princess and I still can't believe they still have these SD screens on top of the deck near one of the pools. They are not that old. Where can you buy these large SD screens? All the football and baseball large screens are HD. You cannot buy a TV that is not HD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Roland:

Are you sure they weren't HD screens which were having SD signals pumped into them?

That's a phenomena I see in a lot of waiting rooms (doctor's office/car dealers/repair shops)...

I've never been on a cruise ship.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
No they are SD screens. You can see the pixels from far away. When they show a movie it's an SD DVD and even though the screen is 16x9, the DVD is 2.35:1 and the image is stretched to make the actors look very fat. The image for SD DVD needs to be stretched horizontally to fix that. When they had the first screen installed I think in was 2006 so back then I can understand why an SD screen was available. But they have recently added screens to other ships and they are SD too.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Jim Mcc said:
There is no such thing as an SD or HD screen. Only the signal is SD or HD.
? The LCD screens on the Princess cruise ships has 480 lines of pixels. That's SD.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I think I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about a front projector/screen. Are you talking about a TV?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Jim Mcc said:
I think I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about a front projector/screen. Are you talking about a TV?
No, it's an outdoor screen like you see at pro football and baseball stadiums.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks