What's new

The Lamest superhero: Robin! (1 Viewer)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Robin is the lamest superhero. He should never have been created and its popularity is puzzling.

Why am I bringing this up?

Well, I'm doing a painting of DC superheroes, 4x5 ft on canvas to go in my art studio, and so far I've included almost everyone even down to Mary Marvel...... but I just can't do Robin. He's so lame looking. I just can't get myself to draw/paint that skinning legs. Is there a single women superhero that can't beat the crap out of him. Batgirl could eat him for dinner :).

Of course I'm talking about Robin as he is created and known to most people, not nightwing and all the other incarnations.

I guess I'll just have to get a six pack one day and get it over with but I'll curse his creation the whole way, I swear :D

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I'd lump him in with the other boy super sidekicks like Kid Flash, Aqua Lad, and someone worse than Robin.

Namely

Kairo.

Kairo was useless in so many ways. If you're not familiar with him, he was Green Lantern's sidekick. While Green Lantern was very cool, Kairo was not. I almost hesitate to call him a sidekick, he was more of a pointless character with no redeeming qualities.

He actually had to ride on Green Lantern's back ala The Ambiguously Gay Duo. Ugh.

One of the funniest web sites on the internet, Seanbaby's Super Friends Pages has a great page devoted to Kairo and the other uh, questionable man-boy relationships in the DC universe. It's The Green Lantern and it's worth an extensive visit.

Don't miss the one on Giganta, Samurai, Apache Chief, or Hawkman either. ;)

Kairo makes Robin look like a hairy-chested he-man.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Robin is pathetic. When you put on sunglasses do people all a sudden have no clue who you are?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
When you put on sunglasses do people all a sudden have no clue who you are?
[male chauvinist pig]
Dude, how many times have I seen a hot woman in sunglasses only to have her take them off and...
[/male chauvinist pig]
:D

And yes, Robin is lame.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
He's so lame looking.
True, but as Jim Steranko pointed out in his History of Comics (Vol. I), that red, yellow and green outfit did help to explain how the only 12 year old in the world who could beat up two grown men was constantly getting knocked out from behind. :)

"I hated the kid sidekicks. I don't know about you, but if I had superpowers the last person I'd be hanging around with is some pimply-faced teenager. At the very least, people would talk." --- Stan Lee

:D

Regards,

Joe

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Don't put down Robin, he is badass when he becomes NightWing :)

-Rob Lutter (who owns a copy of Robin #1 ;) )

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Robin is much more well known than other sidekicks. I didn't even know Green Lantern has a sidekick.

Stan Lee's quote was perfect:

"I hated the kid sidekicks. I don't know about you, but if I had superpowers the last person I'd be hanging around with is some pimply-faced teenager. At the very least, people would talk." --- Stan Lee

And no way Batman would take on a sidekick. He's a loner!

It's more like for role model superhero and Batman would be the least likely be one.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
And no way Batman would take on a sidekick. He's a loner!
Not to mention that it vastly increased the old secret-identity problem. OK, maybe Bruce Wayne acts like a wimp and nobody thinks of him as a candidate for being Batman, but didn't anybody notice that Batman acquired a black-haired, 12 year old sidekick at the same time Bruce Wayne acquired a black-haired, 12 year old ward? Didn't anybody wonder why Captain America started showing up with a young sidekick just after Camp Swampy (or whatever it was) allowed a military orphan to become its "mascot" and hang around with huge, hulking but supposedly dim Steve Rogers?

Regards,

Joe

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I hated teen-sidekicks too. But I have too arguements in this case...

1. Robin is lame. Nightwing is badass.

2. Aquaman is far lamer...

;)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
didn't anybody notice that Batman acquired a black-haired, 12 year old sidekick at the same time Bruce Wayne acquired a black-haired, 12 year old ward?
Yeah this was really obvious on the tv show :)

But the biggest give away award goes to Superman and Wonder Woman. Yeah, I take off my glasses going to work one day and no body in the company recognize me.

In the TV wonder woman latter seasons, Diana didn't even wore her glasses anymore. She just ties it up her hair. Oh yeah, quite often my wife comes home with her hair tied up and I thought I was having an affair :D .

Can someone tell me who invented the put the underwear outside idea? Was that based on anything. We're so used to the idea of superheroes with colorful underwear on the outside that we don't think twice. But come people..... let's think about the logic behind it :D Why do people wear underwear and why it needs to be inside....

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, one thing that doesn't really come across well in the comics is that Superman supposedly does more than remove glasses and change his hair - he tends not to stand up straight as Clark, lowers the register of his voice, develops a bunch of different mannerisms. He's also greatly helped by people just assuming that Superman doesn't have a secret identity (and I don't believe Wonder Woman has for years).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
But the biggest give away award goes to Superman and Wonder Woman.
Actually I can buy nobody connecting Wonder Woman and Diana Prince, especially in her TV incarnation. It is very unlikely that any of the men she dealt with ever looked at her face. :)

Regards,

Joe

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Can someone tell me who invented the put the underwear outside idea? Was that based on anything.
Well, you're probably not expecting a serious answer, but yeah :) IIRC, the idea of that look for a superhero costume came from circus performers of the 20's and 30's (and circuses were much more popular back then than now): acrobats would wear oddly colored shorts over their pants because when they would do their thing up in the high, dark parts of the circus tent, the loud, clashing colors made it easier for audiences to see them. It's also why superheroes wear capes: circus strongmen often liked to come out wearing a little cape, to make them look a tad more interesting and better identify them to the audience, I guess. So there you go :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Alex, you beat me to it. Seanbaby just nails Aquaman.

The guy can talk to fish and manipulate water. Sorry. Lame.

(Although granted Robin doesn't have powers. But neither does Batman.)

Actually I can buy nobody connecting Wonder Woman and Diana Prince, especially in her TV incarnation. It is very unlikely that any of the men she dealt with ever looked at her face.

Users who are viewing this thread