What's new

The Lake House - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the experience of watching the film unfold, though it got a little hairy at the end with the time travel aspect of the notes being exchanged between Alex and Kate, played by Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bulloch, respectively, at the mailbox of a lake house that was occupied by each characters, but 2 years apart. Additionally, the impact of changing events if you could communicate with someone in the past, and other ripples of such changes in the time stream, the mind boggles at times, but thankfully the film doesn't get bogged down in such minutia and moves in step with the burgeoning, and complicated love affair that develops from notes exchanged through a time-portal of a mailbox.

I did like the pairing of Reeves and Bulloch a decade after from their initial pairing in "Speed", the on-screen chemistry was still there.

Yes, there are perhaps some head-scratching levels of non-inquisitiveness shown by Kate of present-day Alex, but it could be explained away by her not wanting to ruin a good thing with the exchange of notes and letters, while being inside a time bubble or sorts.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
sounds like a star trek eipsode! =)

meanwhile, i read in reviews that while the chemistry was present, they weren't in each other's presence for most of the film. doesn't that sorta' defeat the purpose?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If SB and KR ain't on a bus - or some other moving object - that's about to explode, I ain't interested! :D

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
Saw this Saturday night to a nearly packed house. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Something to keep in mind - despite some comedic moments (and there are not many), this is not a "romantic comedy." It's more a deeply romantic film, and I don't mean in a Harlequin romance sort of way. I will confess that I enjoy well done romantic or romantic comedy movies. The Lake House is a romantic film, even a mostly melancholy one, as the two main characters struggle with themselves, with the people in their lives, with loss and having jobs in the fields they love but not necessarily the exact kind of work they feel born to do.

I view the whole time difference aspect as a conceit or metaphor; anyone looking for faultless "logic" or consistency will be disappointed. It's not a sci-fi film, and isn't interested in the scientific or philosophic ramifications of time travel or impacting history's arc.

To be clear about my bias, I like both of the leads quite a bit, and view them both as underrated actors. Reeves will never be de Niro, but he's also not without talent or skill, and Bullock is more than the cute complainer from Speed.

Reeves and Bullock do a great job making you care about the characters, and I was genuinely rooting for them to get together. Despite having very little screentime together (and much of that is not even what it sounds like), there's a palpable chemistry between them. I routinely mock tritely written and plotted romantic movies, but this one sucked me in. I will admit that my bias (liking the leads) likely had a lot to do with really liking the movie, and I don't know if it would have worked with just anyone in the roles.

I think one of the things that differentiates this film from other romances and romantic comedies is that it helps you see how very lonely these two people are, and it doesn't make the loneliness funny or appealing. There is a strong shade of sadness to the story and acting, and it fits and helps (for me, at least) to lift the film above the usual dreck.

Having said that, the film is not a deliberate meditation on being single in the new millenium, nor is it aiming for gritty realism. It's more of a fable or legend, with fantastic elements, heartbreak and love, loneliness and companionship.

I recommend it, but it's not for everyone.

Joel C

Screenwriter
This was along the lines of The Notebook, though I liked it a lot more. And yeah, my comment at the end was "and then the universe imploded" because of the obvious time paradox, but if it hadn't ended that way I'd be PISSED.

Especially since right when the guy dies in the street at the beginning of the movie I said to my brother, I bet that's Keanu Reeves' character.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I loved the movie. Despite the obvious implausibilities, they worked as a ploit device as I became much more involved in the characters than worrying about an explanation that never came.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I found this ironic:

based on their previous pairing in Speed, this love story might have never gotten to a satisfying conclusion due to the bus running over one of them. Heh.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I love movies that play with time and I love romance films, this is right up my alley.

Though it would seem fresher if Frequency hadn't beat it to the punch with the whole "communication accross time" idea.

But I will see this. :emoji_thumbsup:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The Lake House is actually a remake of a Korean film, Il Mare. Il Mare and Frequency were both released in 2000.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the DVD last night with the wife and she loved it. I thought it was cool mainly because of the time travel aspect.

And yes, I do have to admit that Keanu and Sandra do have a great onscreen chemistry.

One thing I thought would be explained somehow is how were they able to talk to each other 2 years apart? Why the mailbox? And what's up with the dog? It seemed the dog had something to do with it as well. Was any of this explained in the original movie (Il Mare)?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I watched this the other night, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The chemistry between the two stars is palpable, and the photography and scenery are beautiful. A nice little chick flick that a guy can enjoy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks