What's new

The Ladykillers (1955) (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Robert, I was wondering if you'd had a chance to view the new Studio Canal version of "The Ladykillers."

The comparison at the Beaver shows extreme differences in color between the Anchor Bay and this new BD...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/ladykillers_blu-ray.htm

Do you have any comments on the colors presented here? Of all the shots, the last one is the most disturbing, with the old lady looking so washed out on blu - where have her ruddy cheeks gone?

I'd really love a BD of this film - but want a bit more feedback on the quality before pulling the trigger. I know that screenshots don't always tell the whole story.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm not sure if Gary has addressed the colourspace issues with his captures, though these look significantly brighter than the DVD. It also depends what the source material was, as I don't know if TLK was originated on Eastman stock, then seps were made up for Technicolor printing, or if it was Tech from the beginning. Certainly, the BD captures look like it may have originated on Eastman stock, but I cannot say for sure.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

It also depends what the source material was, as I don't know if TLK was originated on Eastman stock, then seps were made up for Technicolor printing, or if it was Tech from the beginning. Certainly, the BD captures look like it may have originated on Eastman stock, but I cannot say for sure.
"The Ladykillers" (or "Foxfire" from 1956?) was the last movie that was shot in 3-strip Technicolor.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That settles it. If this is a mastering from a faded element, rather than a digital recombining of the OCN, that may account for some fading.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To be fair to all involved with this transfer, any final result is only as good as the reference located and used. Although highly doubtful, a quality source may have been used, and matched to a problematic print produced from a CRI, or timed for broadcast. So many possibilities in this particular soup. In a general sense, three-strip Technicolor elements always outshine Eastman examples of the same (or even later) era. The downside is that storage over in the mother country has been not nearly as good as that here in the Colonies. Shrinkage, mold and other niceties seem to be the norm of original elements when removed from storage.

RAH

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Good to hear from you Robert!

So are you saying that there are at least two possibilities for the strange look -

* funny elements (most likely)

* good elements mistimed to a bad print?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks