The Lady and the Duke

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve jaros, Jul 5, 2002.

1. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Sep 30, 1997
    This film just made it to my (red) neck of the woods. What a treat!

Initially, i was stunned by what appeared at first glance to be ultra-cheasy set designs of revolutionary Paris. They looked like paintings - barely two dimensional. I was wondering out loud if the director had even 10k to spend on the film. I'd seen college student gueerrilla films that looked more high-tech. Yet... people started to walk in and out of these paintings. And the paintings began to look beautiful - simultaneously grand and minimalist. I was entranced by this. Perceptions of cheasiness gave way to a perceptions of wonder. I hadn't seen anything like it.

Plus, the story is first rate and the acting is gorgeous. The director has the actors portraying the roles in a stiff, formal manner that reminds one of a staged play. Initially, this looked to be boring, but the emotions of the actors, the effective dialogue, and the great story hypnotized me. I was hooked! The actress who played the 'lady' - a scottish noblewoman - was particularly effective. She was in practically every scene, and carried it all off brilliantly. She wasn't that attractive, but had a fantastic 'stage presence' that was captivating.

This movie appears in many respects to be rudimentary, yet it contains some elements that were more innovative than anything i've seen in the monster-budget special effects films of late. It makes Mulholland Drive, for example, seem somewhat conventional by comparison.

Combine the innovative presentation with the great acting and story and this film is a big winner in my book...
  2. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Feb 22, 2000
    AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! This is in Baton Rouge and it still hasn't come to Atlanta??!! I SO want to see this as Rohmer is one of my favorite directors. R2 DVD comes out in August.