The lack of appreciation for quality speakers in the postmodern age.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JediFonger, Feb 2, 2006.

1. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    hi ya'll,

i think you know what i'm talking when i say that a lot of friends+families you know don't seem to care much about the audio-aspect of their new home entertainment system. the most expensive items that people with disposable income are willing to spend are items they can see or gadgets in general. worst yet, a lot of the sales force are making people buy small satellite+sub systems that dont' give you good midrange reproduction. the proliferation of bose, mp3 (and other lossy codecs), ipod, miniaturization has me concerned about the future of audio in general and the lack of appreciation for GOOD, quality constructed speakers to faithfully reproduce the nuances of high quality audio. with SACD, DVD-Audio MLP pretty much going by the waste-side and upcoming hi-def format wars (focused heavily on video, but not audio). i wonder what will hold for the future of audio.

while Dolby has announced Dolby Digital HD, TrueHD (uncompressed soundtracks), DTS-HD, will studios commit to a NEW audio format that consumers will care less about? will equipment mfr. give us NEW a/v receivers that decodes these new formats? who knows.

THX used to be very useful in giving us a set of standards for what quality audio reproduction means, but nowadays, a middle of the road speaker can come pretty damn close in quality to older THX specs. will the future of mankind appreciate speakers the way that we do? it seems we have already reached some of that plateau where you either spend $1,000 on a 7.1 of speakers (without subwoofer) to get decent performance for a HT or $150 on a 5.1 satellite+sub in a box that INCLUDES a DVD player. then people rush home, set it up only to be disappointed that it doesn't sound as good as the cinemas...

what do you think the future holds for speaker appreciation?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Dude, I keep track of the cheapest HTiB that I find. I have now seen them as low as $79. 5 "speakers" and a "sub" along with a DVD player and amplfication.

I think the excellent success of DVD-A, SACD, and DualDisc kind of gives you a measure of what people think about quality audio reproduction these days. Too bad the Apple iPod isn't selling that well... [​IMG]

But hey, lp sales are actually up recently along with turntables, so there actually are *some* people out there who do care about audio. And some of the universal DVD players sell pretty well too.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

There will always be people who are content to listen to the TV's built-in speakers. Then there are people who will do the bare minimum HTIB type systems, and it goes up from there.

I don't see the proliferation of HDTVs changing those percentages drastically. I do think that Dolby TrueHD and the like are good evolutionary steps.

4. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

It's a wasteland out there...

Somewhere along the way, people were sold the idea that speakers were 'ugly', and should be hidden or made tiny.
    Hence, the popularity of crappy tiny speakers, and the proliferation of the anti-Christ of audio- the in-ceiling speaker. If we evolve into a species where our ears are rotated 90 degrees upward, the ceiling would then become a great place to put speakers. But not yet... Last I checked, no one sits under the orchestra pit to listen to music. It's not natural.

The above rant pertains to 2-channel, or front/center speakers, NOT back/surround speakers for multi-channel audio.

5. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    kev,
    the return of lp's isn't what you think it is. the people who used to listen to lp's are either dead or dying(har har, just kiddin). i think one of the contributing factors is the rise of turntable scratch mixes that's connected to a PC or digital recording device. that's why young "artists" need access to older lp's, to muck it up, not to enjoy it pure and clear.

which of the universal players are selling well? i haven't read any news pertaining to that lately. but i know i love my pioneer 588 =).

richard,
    while that will hold true for any generation, i do believe the % has changed and some tidings of a/v have shifted. one of the problems i KNOW exists is when the person has enough $ but is afraid of buying something that will be obsolete (yes they think even speakers will be "outdated"). as a part of my job, i meet many high profile (they make at least $100+k) sales personnel in the northeast and they love to watch movies and HT in general. when asked about what type of system they have, "bose", "HTiB", "Cambridge Soundworks". when i elaborate on the type of systems they *could* have they give out those expected answers. i dunno what to pick, i'm too scared, etc. it's all about re-education.