The Kinks One for the Road

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Leeds, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen anybody talk about this DVD. I love the Kinks and saw their 80 tour (god I'm getting old). Anyhow, I found this a few weeks ago FINALLY. The review, the sounds was pretty good for a 20 year old recording, extras are okay nothing great, Dave Davies interview was fun. They at least did a DD 5.1 recording and it was "crankable" if that is a word.

In any case for those of you that are Kinks fans this is a must have. for those of you that have only heard Lola, pick up this DVD and listen to one of the most underrated bands in history. The Kinks are one of my favorites and since they haven't toured in a long time this was the next best thing.

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Here's a review done a couple weeks ago with a few comments:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=kinks
    While I loved the Kinks in concert, I am distraught with the camera angles of this video (I want to SEE the guitar solos !!!). For the true Kinks fan, it is a "must have", but for the casual listener, it is a rental.

3. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I guess you have to like this period of Kinks. Check out the Ray Davies "Return to Waterloo" Tv film DVD.

For this "One For The Road" DVD, I wished they would have fleshed out the tour of London interactive thingy a little more.

I'd love to see a compilation, ala Beatles "Anthology", on the group. I prefer them up to and including "Preservation Act 2". I caught them in London during that tour, and was astounded by the high entertainment value they put into it.

4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Alright Mike - you've intrigued me enough to buy the Return to Waterloo DVD. Can't find it local, so will have to do MO.

I'm counting on you !

5. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Just to let you know, the Return to Waterloo DVD is actually one half of a double-feature disc. The second half is a compilation of Kinks music videos done in the early 80's.

6. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Depending on how sophisticated your DVD shops are, you can always special order it at a Borders or something like that!

Keep me posted.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

In case you have a LD player, there is a Japanese Import series "Best of" 19XX; in which they have a quite a few rare Kinks videos.

On one in the 1967 disc (waterloo sunset maybe), Dave Davies has sign around his neck which has "this is a piano" ....since there is a piano in the mix but no piano on the stage.

great series if you can track them down