What's new

The Kingdom ? (1 Viewer)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Anyone know if there is a better version of The Kingdom (the danish mini-series) coming to DVD soon. The current R0 has pretty poor subs and transfer, I hear.

Thanks

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I want this on DVD so bad...
There was a UK version announced, and I had it on preorder, but the company dropped the release for no particular reason! Dammit!
OK, so I don't care about the subs, but I just want it now in a decent version that I can afford!
smile.gif

------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Have you seen the R3 (R0?) version? Is it bad? I have it on order but not sure its still available.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
It's due for release in the UK on May, 20th. Play.com also says that it has "Tranceformer - A Portrait of Lars von Trier Directed by Stig Bjorkman" as a special feature.
I don't know whether it is the Five-Part :thumbsdown: or Four-Part :emoji_thumbsup: version of the series, though.
I hope it will be a 2-disc edition, as the four episodes plus the documentary seems a bit much for one disc.
P.S. Link Removed will ship to the U.S. (for free), but is more expensive than Play.com (doesn't ship to U.S.).

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
According to ICA's description:

"All five episodes of Lars von Trier's The Kingdom are here presented on a double disc DVD set."

So we can conclude it's the five-part version and it is indeed a two-disc set. Looks like those who want the four-part version will have to make do with the R0 edition, even though it's apparently been cut a bit (unless there were always just two closing credit sequences).

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
unless there were always just two closing credit sequences
There were four.

This wasn't cut for the DVD release however, but for the theatrical release in other countries. So the DVD transfer was obviously made from a theatrical print.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Seville Pictures has an R1 version out... or is this the one you are talking about ?
You can get it at Link Removed

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Seville's version does not have the documentary. The documentary on the R2 DVD can be found on the Criterion version of The Element of Crime.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
If you mean the 4 disc Danish release of parts 1 & 2 , then yes there's news: it's very good.
I've owned the Canadian Seville version and the British DVD, and the Danish version is so much better. Better AV quality, no cuts, original 4 part structure, and much better extras - what more can you ask for?
There are a few minor gripes, like silly layer changes and small but recurring subtitle glitches, but that's about it.
The Danish 2 disc releases of Breaking the Waves and Dogville are also worth importing by the way. A good place to order is DVDOO:
Riget/The Kingdom: http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=5686
Breaking the Waves: http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=5686
Dogville: http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=11692

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Just a little heads up....
I've found out that the superior Danish release has been re-released in seperate parts and both are available at "bargain" prices:
Part 1 (2 discs): 99 DKK (~$17 US)
Part 2 (2 discs): 99 DKK (~$17 US)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks