What's new

The King of Queens Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
OK, Just got this one for Christmas, and I have not had time to check it out yet, but I wanted to ask about the Aspect Ratio.

The only version that I can find right now is in 1:33:1, but I know lately that the show has been broadcast in HDTV which would be 16X9. Did they not broadcast in HDTV for the 1st season? Are there any other rumors of the 2nd or 3rd seasons being in Widescreen? Thanks for any help!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The first season was the fall of 1998, and wasn't shown in HD. I'm not sure exactly when they made the switch, but I think it has been shown in widescreen HD for at least the last couple of years.

When appropriate, I hope the DVDs are 16X9. The current season looks great in widescreen HD. But I wouldn't be in favor of cropping earlier seasons where it wasn't intended.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
When any show is broadcast over-the-air for general viewing (NOT for HDTV-only viewers) as a 4x3 show, then the studio will almost always prepare the DVDs as a 4x3 aspect ratio. When a show is broadcast as 16x9 over-the air for everyone to view, including those who don't own HDTV sets, then the DVDs will usually be prepared in widescreen.

That's the way it is. Don't expect a sitcom (or any other genre) that anybody with a set of standard rabbit ears on a 20-year-old TV will see in 4x3 to show up in widescreen on the DVDs.

Hell, it's hard enough to get the studios to put a widescreen FILM on DVD in 16x9. I think asking for KoQ in a wide version is definately pushing our luck. It AIN'T gonna happen!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Well, we're getting KUNG FU in cropped widescreen, and that aired 30+ years ago! Yuck.

It seems there are lots of shows that air on regular TV in 4X3 showing up on widescreen DVDs. ALIAS, CSI, THE BEASTMASTER, to name a few. It doesn't seem out of the question that newer sitcoms shot with 16X9 in mind will be released that way several years from now when more and more prople have widescreen sets.

Basically, my prediction is everything we want in the correct 4X3 ratio will be cropped for fake widescreen like KUNG FU, and everything that should be in widescreen will be 4X3.

I'll try to work on my poor attitude!

;) ;) ;)

I want KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER as aired in 4X3...!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
King of Queens was simultaneously broadcast in HDTV starting in its second season.

This subject has been discussed previously in this thread, where I posted more details.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
David, I agree that 16x9 "King of Queens" is probably just a pipe dream. However, it doesn't seem so rare for dramas that were broadcast 4x3 to be on DVD 16x9 (see "24" and "Alias" for example).

My theory is that the studios want these 16x9 DVDs to seem classier, more like big budget movies than regular old TV shows. I don't think they'll worry about that with many sitcoms. You never know, though...

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
To be fair - King of Queens is one of those shows were nothing happens in the widescreen portion of the screen.

I've been watching the new season in widescreen and it's like the European Buffy DVDs - everything happens in the center of the screen.

Some other shows like Alias, CSI or Without a Trace really use the widescreen picture but King of Queens doesn't - the widescreen portion of the screen basically just shows more furniture.

It would be great to get it in widescreen but I'll buy them even if they're in fullscreen.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Beastmaster and Andromeda use the whole 16:9 frame.

This surprised me, especially in Beastmaster's case. I've paused it quite a few times, and there's definitely things going on (like conversations), off-center.

BTW- Say what you want about the shows, ADV does some nice transfers. Andromeda is particularly impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks