What's new

The KING of Iron Chef! (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Did anybody catch this tonight?

A pretty neat way to end the great series with a tournament with the Iron Chefs battling each other.

Tonight was Kobe Vs. Sakai... Man, my mouth was watering looking at the spicy pork/tofu dish that Sakai made...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
The worst of it is when you have a gnawing knot at the bottom of your stomach while watching an episode...and all you have left in your pantry is a bag of Maruchan ramen, Roast Pork flavor.

Seriously, underneath the veneer of all the camp is some engaging competition. I've watched this show for years and it never fails to entertain me.

BTW...what was for dinner tonight at Simon Fraser U.? ;)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
For the first toime, I would have eaten every one of the dishes prepared.

The mah-po tofu and Kobe's pasta dish both looked incredible.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
CHEN KENICHI by a 'landslide'... He scored perfect scores (20) by three of the five judges

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
Mah po Tofu is awesome, but would love to try the Iron Chef version.
If you're ever in Japan, Chen Kenichi has a restaurant that serves nothing but his Mabodofu.

http://www.tcvb.or.jp/en/hot/opensho.../shop_0211.htm

"Chin Ken-ichi’s Mabodofu
This restaurant is owned by Iron Chef Chen Kenichi, the son of the late Chen Kenmin, a legendary figure in Chinese cooking who was responsible for introducing mabodofu (spicy minced pork and tofu) to Japan from China. Kenichi puts his signature on this genuine Szechwan mabodofu restaurant.
Phone: 03-5857-2164

Lotus Park
Address: 1-5-10, Kiba, Koto-ku, Tokyo
Hours: 11:00 am – 10:30 pm daily
Getting there: A 2-minute walk from Kiba Station on the Eidan Tozai Subway Line
For further information: Lotus Park Operation Office, Phone: 03-5606-4771"

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i would luh-ove to get to sample some of those dishes. when you think world class cuisine, you think of the iron chefs.

that one guy who is always on the panel (lower house somebody or other) has to be the luckiest guy in the world. how'd he score that gig!

i think i read somewhere that, by the time the show was done, they had spent in the millions (don't remember exact number) on the food. :eek:

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
My wife has both Chen Kenichi's and his father's Ma bo dofu recipe. Real Szechuan cooking is far too spicy for the Japanese palate, so Chen Kenichi's recipe is a milder version of his father's.

If anyone expresses interest in obtaining the recipies, I'm sure my wife would gladly translate so that I can post them both here.

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I wouldn't mind trying that Prawns with Chili Sauce that Fukui-san is always raving about. Is there a recipe for that?

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Unfortunately Al, my wife doesn't have that recipe. The ma bo dofu recipe by both Chen Kenichi and his father are in a book that contains an assortment of recipes from different chefs.

Although I've salivated whenever I hear Fukui-san talk about the Prawns with Chili Sauce...even though I am allergic to crustaceans (i.e., prawns, shrimp, lobster, etc.).

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
AAARGH! They pulled the "to be continued" trick on us!

THat dish by sakai with the lobsters in the copper pot, reminds me of a lobster-bake kinda thing u do at beaches and stuff...

Oh man, i wonder how the spicy lobster and cheese will turn out from Kenichi...

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Resurrecting an old thread...

Mw wife, daughter, and I recently started watching Iron Chef on the Food Network. We're looking forward to the new Iron Chef America coming in January, though a part of me doesn't think it can compare to the original. I have a couple questions...

1 - When Chairman Kaga has introduced the ingredient and calls the chefs up to start the battle, he says something. We (badly mis-)pronounce it "urotz kazem". What is it he is saying? And what does it translate to? (they never sub or dub that part)

2 - Is the Japanese show still in production? If not, how long ago did it go off the air? I'm just wondering how old/new the episodes on Food Network are.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm pretty sure he says "allez cuisine" -- which i guess is french for "start cookin, go food" or something similar.

i think it's off the air in japan, but not sure.

it's a totally fun show, but i don't watch it as much as i used to. the american version is pretty boring...without the dub the show just loses all it's appeal. :D

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Hmmm, so it's French he's speaking then? I guess now that you have said that it does sound right. Kind of disappointing it wasn't Japanese :). he must have a major accent though....

So, are these "new" shows coming in January really new? Or just new to Food Network?

And I saw something in a different thread I dug up about a controversy surrounding Bobby Flay. I saw that he is one of the Iron Chefs for this upcoming version. What's the story with him?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
dunno about whether the shows are truly new or what.

as far as flay goes, while i don't know about what controversy you're thinking of -- that cub-scout is a whiner. he got all upset when he lost the first battle, complained that he wasn't used to the kitchen, the stuff wasn't working correct, etc. :rolleyes

then, when they rebattled, he won. personally, i think it was a sympahy victory. :D

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
as far as flay goes, while i don't know about what controversy you're thinking of -- that cub-scout is a whiner. he got all upset when he lost the first battle, complained that he wasn't used to the kitchen, the stuff wasn't working correct, etc.
Bobby Flay - ugh.

The one incident that left a less-than-favourable impression was in a head-to-head matchup with Chef Morimoto. He had just completed his cooking and decided to stand on his chopping board, hooting and hollering for the purpose of rousing his supporters in the balcony. Chef Morimoto felt that he displayed a lack of respect for the tools of his trade by his standing on the chopping board; I concur. :thumbsdown: to Flay for exhibiting a lack of class.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I like Bobby Flay well enough, but in that battle against Morimoto he was the epitome of the ugly American. I don't watch the reruns of that one.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I never really like or disliked Flay until he pulled that stunt on the Iron Chef. No class. On top of that, as I recall, he did the same thing sans cutting board in the second battle which he unfortunately won.

I also didn't care for the American version of the Iron Chef. Alton Brown is great on Good Eats but stinks as the commentator.

It's not the same without Chairman Kaga (sp?). Never fails to crack me up when he summons the Iron Chefs: "(some japanese words) Iron Chefs! Why is "Iron Chefs" spoken in English?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks