What's new

The King and I (Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Can-Can had one of the largest movie programs. This one is 15 by 11.5 inches.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
GlennF said:
Just recently read PICTURES AT A REVOLUTION as well. Well worth reading and a very interesting look at a period when movies were changing. I found a lot of the parts about race (IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER and the pressure put on Sidney Poitier) very interesting and although some things have changed dramatically in this regard, recent events in the U.S. show there are still issues to be resolved.As a side note, the book certainly does not paint a pretty picture of Rex Harrison!
Nor does the book Roadshow! In that, Rex declined the casting of Sammy Davis, Jr. as William Shakespeare because he wasn't "a real actor." He lobbied for Poitier. Then Geoffrey Holder got the part.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Matt Hough said:
You won't get ANY argument from me about Can-Can. I find it obnoxious and insulting in many ways, and if it's released by Twilight Time or Fox, I'll air those grievances.

I am also a HUGE fan of Star!
Juliet Prowse shares some of her own criticisms of "Can-Can" in this great interview.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Matt Hough said:
Nor does the book Roadshow! In that, Rex declined the casting of Sammy Davis, Jr. as William Shakespeare because he wasn't "a real actor." He lobbied for Poitier. Then Geoffrey Holder got the part.
Sally Ann Howes shared a story of how Rex contacted her in the early 80's, about joining him for an (I think) South African tour of "My Fair Lady". After Ms Howes expressed her doubts about no longer being suitable - ie: not young enough - for the role of Eliza, he ranted on about the unreliability of his recent string of young co-stars.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I own The King and I on DVD and would love to know if the Blu-ray transfer is that bad? Is it worth picking up now or should I wait for a new 1080p transfer taken from a 2K or 4K restoration? Or should I wait for a native 4K release of The King And I??? Recently I have been bitten by the classic movie bug so when I have a few dollars to spend I want to start getting classic films on video. I would hate to think that this title has been messed up that bad on Blu-ray!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Depending on who you listen to here on the internet, it ranges from 'flawed, but ok' to 'the greatest affront to art and humanity in the history of the universe'I found it watchable and enjoyable.

As for waiting, there may not be another release ever. Or there may be. Nothing is currently planned.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm more on the 'flawed but ok' side than the 'the greatest affront to art and humanity" side, and I also agree that we have no idea if there will ever be another release.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This is on Film four (UK) in HD right now, & I think it looks beautiful, lovely deep rich colour. I can only think it's from the older transfer. I'm not really a fan of this film, but if I was I'd take a Blu-ray looking like this.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Billy Batson said:
This is on Film four (UK) in HD right now, & I think it looks beautiful, lovely deep rich colour. I can only think it's from the older transfer. I'm not really a fan of this film, but if I was I'd take a Blu-ray looking like this.

I watched bits of it as well. It's not my sort of film but i was curious as to what it looked like in view of the controversy. I also thought it looked great with natural looking colours but it certainly is from the older - non-blue - HD master because it looks exactly the same as those video clips posted some while ago showing the comparisons between the older HD master and the Blu-ray.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Great comparison video Chuck! Someone should show this to Fox executives as there definitely needs to be a shake up in their blu-ray quality control section. Even though it could use some tuning I would buy a blu-ray of the 2006 HD transfer but have no intention of paying for the murky 2014 mess. I find it hard to imagine anyone preferring the new transfer over the older version. There is no pop to the picture and the contrast is way to high. The contrast is also off in their new transfer of Carousel. I'll hang on to my DVD as I don't think they will fixing this as they don't care how it looks, otherwise they would never have released it this way. I'll take the more natural color palette with less sharpness over the murky mess shamefully presented on blu-ray. If they are going to screw up a transfer why couldn't be on a piece of crap like The Watch rather than a classic like The King And I. Thanks for nothing FOX.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I just ordered the DVD of The King and I so I can see it in the right colors. I'd made the mistake of giving my old one away, never dreaming that the Blu-ray would be the misfire it is.

I have to wonder what the folks at the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization think about it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Rick Thompson said:
I just ordered the DVD of The King and I so I can see it in the right colors. I'd made the mistake of giving my old one away, never dreaming that the Blu-ray would be the misfire it is.
Whenever I upgrade, I never ever give or trade away the DVD in question until after I've seen the "upgraded" disc. It's safer that way.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Thomas T said:
Whenever I upgrade, I never ever give or trade away the DVD in question until after I've seen the "upgraded" disc. It's safer that way.
But what is life without a walk on the wild side and a flight into the wild Blu yonder?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks