What's new

The King and I (Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

GregK

Screenwriter
I had really wanted to see The King and I, but the rub was there were so many other great features running. Around that same time period we had a chance to see Batman and more importantly to meet Adam West in the process. And before that was War of the Worlds. And the evening 4K restoration of Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman meant getting in line early. Right after that was the 3-D theatrical premiere of our restoration of GOG. Eating sometime in between all of this unfortunately also was a necessity.

I too had hoped someone would report in, but for now can only submit this image as shown on TCMs website:

25826_004_3508-860x573.jpg

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It should look very similar to the Blu-ray if it was shown on a digital projector, there is no reason for a different color timing if Fox thinks they did the right thing which they apparently do. I would have expected it to look different if they had shown a 35mm print.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I had really wanted to see The King and I, but the rub was there were so many other great features running. Around that same time period we had a chance to see Batman and more importantly to meet Adam West in the process. And before that was War of the Worlds. And the evening 4K restoration of Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman meant getting in line early. Right after that was the 3-D theatrical premiere of our restoration of GOG. Eating sometime in between all of this unfortunately also was a necessity.

I too had hoped someone would report in, but for now can only submit this image as shown on TCMs website:

25826_004_3508-860x573.jpg

Blu-ray with same dress
kingandI.jpg

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Blu-ray with same dress
kingandi-jpg.31222

If you've read through these posts you'll see I've beat this horse to death. All I will say at this time is the image below was used by Cineric when they did the original restoration work on the 65mm negative. I would assume this demonstrates the colors as they presented them to Fox after their restoration. As belabored before it appears something went wrong with the digital master obtained from their print. We can only hope it is corrected if they do a 4K Blu-ray edition. It's very sad such a beloved high profile movie got such a poor digital rendering while so much excellent work is put out by Fox on current day B pictures.
kingandi.png

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I just got home from the Fathom screening. I am not sure exactly what I saw. To my untrained, subjective eye, the 2005 DVD is my favorite look color-wise for this movie, as it most reminds me of what I have seen over the years. The Fathom screening was not like the 2005, but it wasn't like the blu-ray, either. The color seemed wan but it was watchable and I found myself involved in the film after a few minutes. So a third version color-wise? I don't know. That being said, FWIW my personal preference would be to mirror the 2005 DVD.

It was surprisingly well-attended, perhaps 80 people. There was no poster, no announcement, it wasn't even on the electronic signboard at the ticket booth. For a moment I thought I was at the wrong theater, but when I got to the ticket counter, sure enough, they were showing it. Unfortunately, there was no sound for the TCM intro piece nor the Main Title. The sound kicked in during I Whistle a Happy Tune. Speaking of the sound, it was the best I have heard at one of these showings. There was surround information, and the volume was not too low, two problems I have experienced at every fathom screening I have attended. The entrance of the Crown Prince was actually rather spectacular sound-wise. The manager later said the lack of sound was Fathom's problem and did not offer refunds or passes.

It is a wonderfully acted and produced film. Yul Brynner's charisma just jumps off the screen, and Deborah Kerr's thoughtful, earnest performance is a marvel. Not to mention the best dubbing job in films ever. (RIP Marni). I do wish they had kept the songs My Lord and Master, Shall I Tell You What I Think of You? and I Have Dreamed; they are all such wonderful character and story songs.

Here is a neat behind-the-scenes pic - that Cinemascope 55 camera is enormous! The array of microphones is interesting.

KandI behind scenes.jpg

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
One of the best stills I've seen of the 'cluster' 3-microphone boom method of recording that Fox used in production starting with "THE ROBE" and concluding with "FROM THE TERRACE" (a handful of Fox titles were monaural during this period) They used three microphone booms to begin with, then the sound engineers came up with this idea (shown).

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I haven't watched The King and I in years and am currently fighting one of my regular urges to see it again. For a long time I held off, knowing that a BD was inevitable. Cue massive disappointment when it finally arrived. As good as the 50th Anniversary Edition DVD was on my set-up at the time of its release, I can't quite bring myself to project it on the 106" screen I have now.

I've no intention of buying the current abysmal BD and will wait for as long as it takes for Fox to see the error of their ways and reissue a corrected version – 100th Anniversary Edition, anyone? Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the 2006 HD transfer, preferably on disc, to tide me over until then? Feel free to send a PM!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
One of the best stills I've seen of the 'cluster' 3-microphone boom method of recording that Fox used in production starting with "THE ROBE" and concluding with "FROM THE TERRACE" (a handful of Fox titles were monaural during this period) They used three microphone booms to begin with, then the sound engineers came up with this idea (shown).

I love movies with directional dialog.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
HDNet Cable has shown The King and I as part of their Academy Award tribute.
Not being an expert on how this film should look nor have I viewed the blu Ray I must say this looked
pretty good to me. In fact quite spectacular. The colors popped out. Sound was good. Proper ratio.
Perhaps Fox has revisited this title.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
HDNet Cable has shown The King and I as part of their Academy Award tribute.
Not being an expert on how this film should look nor have I viewed the blu Ray I must say this looked
pretty good to me. In fact quite spectacular. The colors popped out. Sound was good. Proper ratio.
Perhaps Fox has revisited this title.

So, you mean you don't know if the colors resembled the bluray?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
That is correct. That said I've recorded the HDNet telecast and will rent the blu for comparison.

For starters, you could see the various screenshots from reviews.
Eg. here:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-King-and-I-Blu-ray/47170/#Screenshots
Do you by any chance have the capability of taking screenshots?
I would be very interested to compare from your HDnet copy to these 2 for example:
9923_2_large.jpg

9923_11_large.jpg

I really think something like this would look much better and may have been more accurate:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/201366/picture:0
(there are 2 comparisons here. Be sure to check #2 too on the top left of the picture)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Very interesting!
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14738328&postcount=367
So, there is a color-corrected restoration (the 3rd cap of each comparison) and it looks much better than the existing bluray!!
It's very evident now that the bluray had a blue tint all over.
(look eg. even at the last comparison which at first the caps seem the same;
if you look closely at Anna's gloves or the dress on the right, you'll see that in the 2nd cap (bluray) they are bluish while in the 3rd one (2016 transfer) they're white)

How I'd love a bluray of this new transfer.
But I don't think we're gonna get it.. :(

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Now that is some interesting information! Looks like the new version watched via movies anywhere, Amazon or itunes will be my preferred way of watching this. Too bad that I got the whole Rogers and Hammerstein collection so no UV codes and movies anywhere access for me.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Now that is some interesting information! Looks like the new version watched via movies anywhere, Amazon or itunes will be my preferred way of watching this. Too bad that I got the whole Rogers and Hammerstein collection so no UV codes and movies anywhere access for me.

The poster says Amazon has the old HD version.
What is that MoviesAnywhere application?
Can the movie be downloaded in a hard drive?

I'm not at all aquainted with digital services and stuff..

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The poster says Amazon has the old HD version.
What is that MoviesAnywhere application?
Can the movie be downloaded in a hard drive?

I'm not at all aquainted with digital services and stuff..

Movies anywhere allows you to watch a movie on itunes, Amazon, vudu or the movies anywhere app, at least these are the 4 ways that I tried. That means you can buy your movie from amazon, vudu or itunes and watch it via all these apps.

1080p downloads that you can watch on a TV are an option for vudu on the PS3 or the PC and on the PC only for itunes. At least it was like that the last time I looked. I would advise against downloads with vudu as they are usually in worse quality than their best quality streaming, no idea how it is with itunes.

Please note that you will have a varying degree of trouble using these services if you happen to not live in the US. This is due to distribution agreements struck by the studios that do not really fit that well into our brave new digital world.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks