What's new

The Killing: Season Three (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The new season of The Killing starts on Sunday at 8 PM with two episodes.

I look forward to reading the complaints about the show being too slow and how they better solve the case this season (unlike the first season, they have actually said that this year's case would be solved by the end of the 12 episodes).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to the new season, particularly on the strength of the performances of the leads and their chemistry together. While I did enjoy seasons 1 and 2 I do hope the writers took notes and shore up some of the problem areas from those seasons.

- You don't reveal suspect identities to members of the victim's family - window blinds open in an interrogation room for instance.
- You let the actors know the storyline for the entire season so that their performances are allowed to be consistent.
- If you are going to lie about your identity, don't use your real name when you answer your phone less than 10 ft. from someone you just deceived. :)

- Walter.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Joel Kinnamon's Steven Holder is my favorite character on TV. My wife and I watched Seasons 1 & 2 via Netflix streaming and I am looking forward to S3.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
We watched part 1 of the season opener last night (stopped to watch Game of Thrones). I liked it a lot. Holder is in new duds but hits his comfortable stride when he and Linden have their first scene together. The writing and direction were sharp and I am really interested in the homeless teenagers and their plight.

This show has redefined the police procedural for me. Moody and atmopsheric with an undercurrent of dread during the running time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Anyone who has seen the show knows that Enos and Kinnaman are homeruns but Peter Sarsgaard, Gregg Henry, Elias Koteas and some of the best Vancouver actors are already fantastic in their roles.

I like that the runaways are actual kids rather than 23 year olds trying to play a decade younger. Using real kids makes the characters even more sad and tragic.

Moody and atmopsheric with an undercurrent of dread during the running time.
By the time Linden found the maniac's graveyard at the end of the second episode, I was almost glad it was over because the gloom was starting to get too much to watch.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Gloomy is certainly the word.

What a great start to the season. I really like how they're linking the current case to the death row case. Peter Sarsgaard is always great - and still fairly unknown. He's perfect in that role.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
TravisR said:
Anyone who has seen the show knows that Enos and Kinnaman are homeruns but Peter Sarsgaard, Gregg Henry, Elias Koteas and some of the best Vancouver actors are already fantastic in their roles.

I like that the runaways are actual kids rather than 23 year olds trying to play a decade younger. Using real kids makes the characters even more sad and tragic.

By the time Linden found the maniac's graveyard at the end of the second episode, I was almost glad it was over because the gloom was starting to get too much to watch.
Agreed. The whole cast is great and I am invested in all their story lines. Even that small exchange between Linden and the wife of her former partner was pitch perfect and devastating. The show has layers. Excellent TV.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Brett_M said:
Agreed. The whole cast is great and I am invested in all their story lines. Even that small exchange between Linden and the wife of her former partner was pitch perfect and devastating. The show has layers. Excellent TV.
Yeah it's a shame that such a well-written, well-produced, well-acted show like 'The Killing' can be on the brink of cancellation while utter crap like 'The Following' can get upwards of 17 million viewers.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
When I watch this show I get a knot in my chest from the dismalness this show exudes.

Great TV though. This season looks to be a great one.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Scott Hanson said:
Yeah it's a shame that such a well-written, well-produced, well-acted show like 'The Killing' can be on the brink of cancellation while utter crap like 'The Following' can get upwards of 17 million viewers.
Agreed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Other than the cliffhanger (the pastor is way too obvious to actually be the killer... unless that's what they want me to think), this week's episode was top notch. For a show that always has great direction, this one was a standout. I also love that Linden is enough of a bitch to call the mother out on failing her daughter.

It's a shame that this show doesn't get the viewers that Mad Men gets or the critical love that Breaking Bad gets.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
TravisR said:
Other than the cliffhanger (the pastor is way too obvious to actually be the killer... unless that's what they want me to think), this week's episode was top notch. For a show that always has great direction, this one was a standout. I also love that Linden is enough of a bitch to call the mother out on failing her daughter.

It's a shame that this show doesn't get the viewers that Mad Men gets or the critical love that Breaking Bad gets.
Agree about the episode. Also agree about the pastor. Was kind of out there that all of a sudden it occurred to them that he could be a suspect. Hadn't they already considered that? I remember thinking that the first time we saw him.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
Was kind of out there that all of a sudden it occurred to them that he could be a suspect. Hadn't they already considered that? I remember thinking that the first time we saw him.
I thought that when they talked to him the first time, it was just understood between Linden & Holder (and the audience) that he wasn't a suspect.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Scott Hanson said:
Peter Sarsgaard is always great - and still fairly unknown.

In what world?

He's probably the biggest star on the show. Check out his IMDB page. To be fair, he often takes supporting roles and kind of disappears into them, but he's been in some BIG stuff.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I thought they did a good job explaining the pastor off the hook for the murders.

I guess they more than dropped a subtle hint as to who the killer actually is now. Will be interesting to see the back story on why he killed Seward's wife and started killing runaway girls.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Wow. That was quality TV right there. Might have been the best episode of the series. I like that Francis wasn't the serial killer, but still may be Seward's wife's killer.

Really shocked they knocked off Bullet!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
Wow. That was quality TV right there. Might have been the best episode of the series.
Yes, it might have been. Using process of elimination, I assumed that Francis was the killer so I was happy to be outsmarted. Like you said though, he must have had something to do with the murder of Seward's wife.

How sick is Nicholas Lea's character for talking about Jesus all season solely in an effort to mess with Seward?

I figured that Bullet and Lyric would ride off into the sunset together at the end of the season so there could be some hope. I was a damn fool for thinking that this show would do something that upbeat.

I was surprised to see that they got Jonathan Demme to direct. How many times do you see an Oscar winning director on a low rated cable TV show? Guys like Barry Levinson, Jim Cameron and Martin Scorsese have done TV but it was on a show that they were producing.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
That scene with the inmate next to Seward was CREEPY.

I noticed Demme in the opening credits as well. I suppose he hasn't really done much of note since 'Philadelphia', and that was 20 years ago (hard to believe it's been that long).

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
If Peter Sarsgaard doesn't bring home the Emmy, it would be an absolute crime! It's a shame, because he will probably be forgotten by the time next year's Emmy nominations are announced.

As for the latest episode, I thought it might have been the best portrayal of a death row sequence to the end that I've ever seen on screen (including film).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It was a brutal and riveting episode. At the beginning of the season, I thought Linden would save him but as the season went further along, I realized that a happy ending wasn't going to happen on this show. Enos and Sarsgaard were fantastic and Kinnaman, while taking a backseat to those two, was excellent in his scenes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks