What's new

THE KILLERS: CRITERION (DVD Reviews) (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The question I asked is NOT should the film be matted for theatrical release, but was the film matted?
Every theater would have handled it differently - ones that were still equipped to show Academy ratio would probably have shown it that way, others would have certainly matted it to 1.85; all of the 35mm theatrical prints were full-frame with no hard-matte.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Ernest Hemingway's The Killers

I know a couple of you on this board are big fans of both CC and film noir, so I thought I'd share with you my review at another site, DVDShrine.com for this excellent package.

Suffice it to say, I didn't know what to expect when I popped this disc in, but I was incredibly happy with what's there.

Regards,

--Justin Cleveland

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Great review, Justin, and I agree with your assessments entirely. I bought this one sight unseen, familiar with Hemingway's story but never having seen the films. I was sufficiently impressed by both, even the glossy 60s version. And let's face it, Reagan was awesome (in a pop-culturey way) as the bad guy.

The extras were very thorough and extremely enjoyable. One of the best releases of the year so far.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
You hit the nail on the head, Justin. My favourite DVD release of the year so far, even beating Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and the Three Colors Trilogy.

There's actually an easter egg on this. On Disc 2, go to Clu Gulager's biography. On the first page with the photography, press 'Up' to highlight a box next to his name and press enter. It's a 4-minute video clip of Clu Gulager reading the segment from Don Siegel's autobiography where the two met for the first time and commenting on its accuracy.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not Matthew, but figured I'd respond...

That quote is from David Lynch's Dune. Specifically one of Baron Harkonnen's dermatologists giving instructions to his assistant while they administer to the Baron.

- Walter.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Wow, I didn't know there was an easter egg on this one! Thanks for the tip!

You're absolutely right, Matthew, this package is absolutely stunning. To think, I never would have seen this package if I hadn't gotten it to review, and I would have missed out on it.

PS, admin, thanks for moving my post, I had searched for a related category, but came up with nil.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks