What's new

The Killer from HKL (1 Viewer)

Michael Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
According to bullet and babes dvd who is always pretty up to date on future releases from Hong Kong Legends says that HKL has secured the rights to the film.
This is good news indeed since all HKL films are anarmorphic and packed with extras.
We might even hope for a platinium edition like "Game of death".
Michael Eriksen

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
They also have the rights to BULLET IN THE HEAD and A BETTER TOMORROW II and III.
It's great that they can produce these DVD's with the best presentations out there as well as jam them with extras since American companies continue to cut, dub and re-score these movies.
Matt
------------------
Honk Kong DVD Reviews and News
loveandbullets.com

Rolando

Screenwriter
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Isn't there a way for Region one Roly to see them? I heard once of a good region free player that converted to NTSC as well. WHERE??
Also, if I have a 16:9 set is it still locked to NTSC? Is HDTV universal or is there still HDTV for NTSC region and HDTV for PAL etc? What about 480P? Is a progressive player still sending out an NTSC signal?
OK 2 subjects now... Point is darn I wish I could get those Hong Kong Legends DVDs... NOW!!!
PS, How come I can't see a link to my homepage appear?
------------------
Rolando Avendano

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Also, if I have a 16:9 set is it still locked to NTSC? Is HDTV universal or is there still HDTV for NTSC region and HDTV for PAL etc? What about 480P? Is a progressive player still sending out an NTSC signal?
Yes, it all has to do with the tuner inside. If you have a front projector, some of the mare dual standard. Your DVD player must support PAL playback, AND be multi-region to play Hong Kong Legends and all other UK discs. There is no HDTV in the UK, only digital, and even so I believe it's a different standard
You need to either build an HTPC, or buy a Skyworth or Malata player to play these discs
Jeff Kleist

Adrian_P

Stunt Coordinator
Just went to Amazon UK and checked out the Game of Death Platinum Edition. Looks very cool. Hopefully if this company does release The Killer it is 2-Disc Special Edition. But I would settle on an uncut anamorphic transfer with a 5.1 presentation of the original language soundtrack with subtitles. Now then all I need to find is a decent anamorphic transfer of Hard Boiled.

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
The KILLER was mono, not 5.1. I would hate to see the soundtrack turned into 5.1 like the terrible Asian import I rented last year. It was just lousy.
Some British company just got the rights to the film. I will have to look into these multi-standard DVD players now. Too many titles have been released in R2 to high praise for me to ignore them any longer.
------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Chauncey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chauncey
Rolando,
Most all 16:9 sets in North America are NTSC only. If there are any multistandard, I do not know of any. PAL is 576 interlaced lines and 50 Hz vertical frequency rate (576/50i). NTSC is 480 interlaced lines and 60 Hz vertical frequency (480/60i). The "i" means interlaced. A "p" means progressive. You have a few options:
1. Purchase a multistandard TV, and a PAL/NTSC region free DVD player. As Jeff mentioned, front projection systems are more likely to accept a PAL signal than rear projection systems. Most region free DVD players will output PAL as PAL and NTSC as NTSC. Be sure to check.
2. If you already have an NTSC TV, you can by a Malata (the Skyworth does not do PAL to NTSC conversion) player. This player will convert 576/50i to 480/60i, so you can view it on your NTSC TV. I believe it is also region free, so you can watch any DVD (you will need to check with the dealer you purchase it from, if you do purchase it). This player will also display anamorphic PAL DVDs in the correct aspect ratio. It has a zoom feature that allows you to tweak the size of the picture so the ratios are correct.
3. Alternatively you can setup an HTPC to play the DVDs. I purchased a Link Removed video processor that will convert a 576/50i signal into a 480/60p, 540/60p, or into almost any progressive signal imaginable. You will need a digital TV that can handle progressive to go this route. Also, the Rock isn't the cheapest route to go.
Before you purchase anything, you might want to go over to the AVScience forum and do a search on "Malata" to see the current issues with the unit. You will also find a wealth of information on players that can do what you would like for them to do.
Good Luck,
------------------
Chauncey
Home Theater Equipment List
My DVD Collection

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I hope it blows the Criterion edtion away!
Dear Friends,
I have just read and signed the online petition:
"The Killer - HKL "Ultimate" Edition"
hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com the free online petition
service, at:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/hklwoo1/
I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider
signing yourself.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I have to say, I absolutely trust HKL to do right by the film. They might not give us what the petition asks for, because you can't always get everything and asking them not to put a dub on is unreasonable (not everyone agrees with us that subtitles are the way to go), but the Chan and Lee movies I've bought so far have been stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks