What's new

The Killer from Buena Vista, Cut? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I know Amazon is known to be incorrect when posting details early for upcoming releases but I found this interesting.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...271636-2975843
The running time is listed as 104 minutes. The Criterion is 110.
If this was any other movie, I would immediately take it for a misprint but since this is Buena Vista releasing an Asian movie, I am worried that it is cut. Hopefully it's not dubbed with the music replaced!
I see those Criterion DVD's doubling in price if this is cut. Oh well, I'll just wait for the Hong Kong Legends version.
Matt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They could be sourcing from a PAL master. The running times match up.

As soon as BVHE posts the specs I'll be on top of it

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
If they are using a PAL master I wonder if they somehow got the one HKVIDEO used. I hope the running time is wrong. This is the one movie I could tell has the PAL speed up because of seeing it so many times. Everytime I hear the music on the HKVIDEO version I am reminded it's PAL.

From what I have seen, 104 is the official time for the R rated cut. This would mean no reason to buy the DVD. If the transfer on the upcoming DVD isn't anamorphic there is truly no reason for anybody to purchase it. Anamorphic or not, every other release has been the R-rated, director's prefered cut.

Matt

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
Well, we can bet that this is a cut version. Disney will not release a movie unrated so they have to submit it to the MPAA. This is the same thing that is going on with "Bullet in the Head". The MPAA is giving the movie an NC-17 and Disney wants an R, so they have to cut it. It's a shame because I'll bet that the movie will have a good transfer and be 16x9.
:thumbsdown: to Disney

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Sorry to post twice in a row, but I have heard by an EXTREMELY reliable source (NOT AN INTERNET RUMOR) that John Woo is FURIOUS that Disney wouldn't even talk to him about releasing the movie uncut.

I wonder if one reason for not releasing the uncut movies would be so that Blockbuster can still carry them with an R rating.

Matt

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Well, if Disney wants THE KILLER to do well at Blockbuster, all they have to do is cut out all the gunfights and violence. Anyone looking forward to buying that version if they do?

PAL speed-up aside, I'll be keen to get the Hong Kong Legends editions of THE KILLER and BULLET when they come out in the mid-future.

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'd bet big money that this is the 'R' rated cut. It's obvious that Di$ney couldn't give a damn about their HK film library...

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Anthony, when is the HKL version of the Killer due? (you say mid-future, can I assume six months to a year?)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
The most recent guesstimate came from the UK-based BulletsnBabes site, which usually gets fairly accurate release info from Hong Kong Legends themselves:

"...August sees a Platinum Edition release of Avenging Fist, September is Jackie Chan's action comedy My Lucky Stars, in October is the uncut The Story Of Ricky Oh plus The Killer [again a Platinum release] and November sees a double disc Platinum Edition of The Way Of The Dragon."

As it's June now, you'd assume that Hong Kong Legends would have their film elements and remastering nearly done for THE KILLER. BULLET IN THE HEAD will probably require more restoration, but should be a good disc if it does come out.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I truly hope Disney does not sell a single DVD of this. I am spreading the word so that people don't waste their money.

Matt

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I made the mistake of renting this from Blockbuster a few years ago. I was amazed at how that little R rating could @#!$ this movie up as much as it did. Sadly, I think I will once again not be bothering to buy a dvd of The Killer. Is it just me, or is the audience for these Asian films not your average Blockbuster customer? It seems so bizarre to me that these big studios seemingly keep trying to pitch these movies at mainstream customers, with these edited cuts and dubbing added in.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Does anyone have a petition up for this yet? If so, point me in the direction immediately. I won't be buying this if it is a cut version.
How 'bout we give them a call on their customer service line as well?

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Well, if Disney wants THE KILLER to do well at Blockbuster, all they have to do is cut out all the gunfights and violence. Anyone looking forward to buying that version if they do?
That would be the, what? 15 minute version? Thanks but no thanks :)
Such a shame, too, since I've been hoping for a better release. :thumbsdown:
Bruce

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Oh yeah the Disney release is gonna rock!!!

Killer Picture!!
Awesome remixed whooshy Audio!!
Accurate Flesh Tones!!
No More dark bluish scenes!!
Sanitized Action Scenes with less blood and bullets! Yay!!!
New Audio track with music by Danny Elfman's brother...

Yuck. Actually I can tell the PAL speed up too, it's very annoying.

Even the HKL will have that...

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Guys

I think the only way to bring this to Disney's attention is to get a petition put together and present it to them. IF its not brought to their attention, its a lose-lose situation either way: we won't buy it, and they wont sell much of them. If we got a petition, asking for the uncut version, and in anamorphic widescreen, and put it on the Forum, and then sent it to other DVD sites so they could post it, I bet Disney might reconsider. I mean, it did work for Willy Wonka, right?

"So you say you have enemies. Good. It means that you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Churchill

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Josh -
There already is a petition that Miramax is FULLY aware of. http://www.petitiononline.com/warthkf/petition.html
Since Disney/Miramax and it's subsidiaries have become aware of this, they have managed to cut at least 3 more Hong Kong movies for home and theatrical release. The upcoming titles are ZU WARRIORS, ACCIDENTAL SPY, and SHAOLIN SOCCER. If THE KILLER is cut, you can be sure that you will also be getting a cut HARD BOILED DVD and BULLET IN THE HEAD.
Disney wouldn't listen to John Woo. They don't listen to the consumer. The best I can do is inform people to make educated choices when puchasing their Hong Kong movies on DVD. This generally means not buying Disney product. There are over 7000 signatures already on the petition. That is 7000 people who won't be purchasing THE KILLER from Buena Vista or any of their altered movies.
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks