What's new

The Kids in the Hall: Same Guys, New Dresses (1 Viewer)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Anyone else pick this up yet?
I just finished watching it, along with a lot of the supplements (only listened to snippets of the commentary).
The documentary itself is a little uneven, although maybe that's the point. I wouldn't say it "documents" the tour at all, although you do get a good sense of how they interact with one another, especially in close quarters. It's more like a handful of funny occurences that went on behind the scenes are documented, such as Scott's obsession with his robot dog, Scott's cancellation on Conan O'Brien (followed by Dave & Kevin's usurping), Dave's Lasik surgery, etc. Of course, there are snippets of the actual on stage performances as well. It's funny (very funny at times), and interesting, but I do have to wonder what might have happened had Foley had a different editor. Oh well.
There are about 20 minutes of bonus footage: a funny & informative clip of the guys doing phone interviews, a clip of Kevin eating soup to Ave Maria (yes, you read that correctly), a little behind the scenes time with the sight gag character 'Bellini,' and actual footage from Dave Foley's Lasik eye surgery (not for the squeamish).
I haven't listened to the entire audio commentary, but I have listened to the clips featuring Mike Myers, Jason Priestley & Matt Stone & Trey Parker (these snippets are accessible separately through the menu). I won't spoil the joke by saying why, but Stone & Parker's ~ 3min segment was hysterically funny, at least to me.
Shot on video (digital video?), the DVD (from a company called VSC - Video Service Corporation) is presented at ~1.78:1 non-anamorphic widescreen. If you're a fan of the Kids, don't let the non-16x9 status of the DVD stop you from checking this out. The aesthetic quality of this production is NOT one of its selling points.
The audio is 2.0 stereo, and it can, at times, be difficult to discern what is being said. That is certainly not the DVD's fault though, just the nature of documentaries.
It runs 86 minutes.
Nonetheless, even with reservation, it's worth seeing, even owning. Of course, if you live in Canada, I imagine it'll be showing ad nauseum on The Comedy Network since they're one of the backers.
Discuss. :)

Ike

Screenwriter
I have this on pre-order from DVD Express, and can't wait! I love the Kids, and I think seeing them backstage will be wholly fascinating. I'm just glad I wasn't expecting a concert film!

But a question-is the Kids commentary all the way through the film? Also, does it not have the guest commentator's on that track (meaning they only play when selected through a seperate option in the menu)?

John CW

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm... so it doesn't show much of their stage show? Why couldn't they have included the whole thing seperately?

Am I to take it that this is just a documentary about the KIDS? When was it made exactly?

I think I'll have to check this out!

~ John

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Ike,

Good luck ordering from DVD Express. The Kids in the Hall DVD gets released next Tuesday, you'll probably see it sometime in June if they follow their standard procedure.

I used to buy almost exclusively from them and loved their service. Thinking their bankruptcy problems were behind them, I thought I'd try again. My first order took five weeks, not the 2-3 days they promised.

Giving them one more chance, I ordered again, this time I gave up after three weeks and cancelled it. I won't be giving them a third try.

I'm also looking forward to this DVD, but mine's coming from Amazon, which actually shipped my last two orders so they arrived on street date.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Am I to take it that this is just a documentary about the KIDS? When was it made exactly?
Yes, it was filmed during their tour in 2000.
One thing to mention is that this DVD was released by VSC in Canada on Tuesday. I have no idea if the U.S. version will be exactly the same or not. Obviously the feature will be, but with respect to features, I couldn't say.

Ike

Screenwriter
Good luck ordering from DVD Express. The Kids in the Hall DVD gets released next Tuesday, you'll probably see it sometime in June if they follow their standard procedure.

Oops, a mis-type. I ordered it from DVD Empire. They aren't much better (I just received Mulholland Drive after having it pre-ordered for a month, and paying $10 for it and Kids shipped.)

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I watched the DVD last night. Let me say this, I was a little dissapointed when I found out that the DVD didn't have the entire live show (I still think they should have had it on there PLUS the documentary). However, this was FUNNY stuff. If you would have asked me a week ago what I would have wanted, it would have been :
#1 - entire live show
#2 - documentary
#3 - commentary
#4 - all the other good stuff
After watching the thing last night, I'm not missing the live show nearly as much as I thought I would!
Scott Thompson alone is worth the price of admission. The part with his robot dog had me rolling on the ground! If you are a Kids In The Hall fan, you owe it to yourself to pick this title up.
BRING ON THE SEASON SETS AND THE BRAIN CANDY SPECIAL EDITION!!!! PLEASE!!!!
Can't wait for May 14th (live show in Seattle!)

Ike

Screenwriter
I'm still waiting on this title. Can someone clear up whether the Kids commentary runs the full film? I'm scared it doesn't.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Did you get tickets Ian? The last time I looked all that was left was the back of the balcony. I'm going to wait until a couple weeks before the show and keep checking to see if there are any returns.

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Yup. We got tickets. We (sister, wife, myself) got them in the first week, so we were lucky enough to get the orchestra level seating (I believe around 15 rows back). My sister and I saw them in Denver and we were pretty far back and they weren't very good seats, so we were really wanting to get better seats this time. Even though we were far back, it was still a blast! :D I've never been to the Paramount Theater, so I don't know the layout or how the seating is, but we are all really looking forward to it.
btw - the Comedy Central KITH web-site has some info on the tour. It says it will have pics and clips of the show, and it has a way to e-mail the Kids a question. I e-mailed and asked when we'd see season sets of the show, and I got this for a reply.
Only comedy central has them, sorry.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Can someone clear up whether the Kids commentary runs the full film?
It does. It's a pastiche of a couple of different commentaries, recorded separately, since the troupe couldn't get together all at once to record it. Plus, there are clips with the "guests" which are edited in where appropriate. It is screen specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks