THE KEEP DVD -- doesn't look like a Special Edition :(

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mike_Richardson, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

I caught a glimpse of the Paramount Fall DVD Preview pamphlet, and noticed THE KEEP is scheduled for an 11/30 release. That's good news, except the price ($14.99) and running time (96 minutes, same as the theatrical version) seem to hint that it's gonna be a straight DVD of the released cut and nothing more.

That's a shame, because the movie's TV version had a far superior ending that went on for a good 5 minutes and was a lot more satisfying than the abrupt ending of the theatrical cut. Obviously a lot of material was left on the cutting room floor, so it's too bad Paramount couldn't dive into the vaults and at least include some of this material in a supplement.

I have no idea why the theatrical version ended with the freeze-frame that it did.....but it looks like the DVD isn't going to clear anything up, unless Martin Blythe can confirm that there's more on the DVD than the released version.

2. Mike_Richardson

I caught a glimpse of the Paramount Fall DVD Preview pamphlet, and noticed THE KEEP is scheduled for an 11/30 release. That's good news, except the price ($14.99) and running time (96 minutes, same as the theatrical version) seem to hint that it's gonna be a straight DVD of the released cut and nothing more.

That's a shame, because the movie's TV version had a far superior ending that went on for a good 5 minutes and was a lot more satisfying than the abrupt ending of the theatrical cut. Obviously a lot of material was left on the cutting room floor, so it's too bad Paramount couldn't dive into the vaults and at least include some of this material in a supplement.

I have no idea why the theatrical version ended with the freeze-frame that it did.....but it looks like the DVD isn't going to clear anything up, unless Martin Blythe can confirm that there's more on the DVD than the released version.

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Price should not be an indicator that a title is featureless.

Daisy Miller, Targets, Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, and the upcoming White Dawn all have $14.99 RPs with extras.

Daisy Miller & Targets have commentary & intro by the director.

Captain Kronos has a commentary with a film historian, writer/director/producer, and actress Caroline Munro.

White Dawn will have commentary and intro by the director along with 2 featurettes.

4. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Price should not be an indicator that a title is featureless.

Daisy Miller, Targets, Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, and the upcoming White Dawn all have $14.99 RPs with extras.

Daisy Miller & Targets have commentary & intro by the director.

Captain Kronos has a commentary with a film historian, writer/director/producer, and actress Caroline Munro.

White Dawn will have commentary and intro by the director along with 2 featurettes.

5. Mike_Richardson

6. Mike_Richardson

7. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I'd be happy with the cobbled together TV ending as a supplement, just to be able to see it.

8. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I'd be happy with the cobbled together TV ending as a supplement, just to be able to see it.

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

If Michael Mann had been involved with this release (as he damn well should have been) this would have been a SE Director's Cut with commentary, interviews, deleted scenes, etc.

The theatrical cut ain't that great. I'm with Mike; the TV cut's ending is much more satisfying.

I was so relieved when it turned out that The President's Analyst had been restored to it's original incarnation and I was hoping that The Keep might have involved Mann.

Och, well.

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

If Michael Mann had been involved with this release (as he damn well should have been) this would have been a SE Director's Cut with commentary, interviews, deleted scenes, etc.

The theatrical cut ain't that great. I'm with Mike; the TV cut's ending is much more satisfying.

I was so relieved when it turned out that The President's Analyst had been restored to it's original incarnation and I was hoping that The Keep might have involved Mann.

Och, well.

11. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Having seen The Keep only once, I have to say any kind of coherent cut would have been welcome - there was a great movie struggling to get out of the mess that I saw; it looked hacked to hell.

12. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Having seen The Keep only once, I have to say any kind of coherent cut would have been welcome - there was a great movie struggling to get out of the mess that I saw; it looked hacked to hell.

13. masterofhorror

masterofhorror Auditioning

Best version of The Keep available found here:-
    http://markshorrordvdemporium.webeden.co.uk/
    LASERDISC DVD+R transfer plus trailer:)

14. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Supporting Actor

AKA a bootleg.
    I agree about the film though; the TV ending is much more satisfying) and closer to F. Paul Wilson's novel as well. I actually love this film but more as a piece of visual and audio art - as a story it's a hopelessly confusing mess. It's one of those films where no attempt is made to explain anything aside from a few casual comments - such films reply on strong scripting and acting (both in short supply in this movie) to carry the audience, they rely on what is seen to happen and the film having an aura of mystique. The viewer is baffled but entertained (rather in the way of the TV series, The Prisoner - well, the original, anyway)
    The film does have absolutely gorgeous visuals - the village nestling against the cliffs,, the opening titles of the sky reflected in a lake, the interior of the Keep itself. The Molassar effects and costumes, on the whole, convince, as do the scenes of the immolated Nazis. And of course the music by Tangerine Dream.
    It's a shame they took the decision to turn the "talisman" into being part of a laser shoooting wand (in the book it's actually the hilt of a sword - the hilt being the only thing on earth that can bind Molassar - and it;s the images of it in the walls make the Keep immune to his powers; the hilt and the sword joined together are the only thing that can kill him) - I'm not sure why they couldn't be faithful to the original in that.
    This site
    http://www.the-keep.ath.cx/
    Edit: the site owner seems to have taken a lot of the content down. t one time the site contained details of all the different versions with screen caps, as well as other stuff like the role-playing game baded on the film - and even a Molassar-head mug!

15. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Are any of these Paramount titles getting Blu-ray'd?