The Keep (1983, Michael Mann)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard N, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Richard N

Richard N Extra

I just finished watching The Keep on VHS, in pan-n-scan, and although the film is certainly flawed, I found it fascinating. Mann's direction is quite amazing at times, and I really liked the tangerine dream score. I am pretty surprised that this film hasn't made it out on dvd yet. Does anyone know the reason, and has anyone heard of any talk of this being released on dvd?

I would certainly buy a copy, just wondering if there are any other fans of this out there. I read on the IMDB boards that there are many different versions of this film, and that Mann's original cut came in at 3 hours. That would be fascinating to see on dvd.

Any thoughts?

2. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    I believe there is an extra ending bit on some broadcast version that results in the film making a bit more sense; I think I read about it in an old Video Watchdog mag, and I can't remember any details of it. I'd love to see a longer cut of this bizarrity...

3. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

This was announced a couple of years ago by Paramount and I recall having it on backorder (with boxcover art so it made it to that level) from dvdempire.com.

4. Sean_Murphy

Sean_Murphy Auditioning

I highly recommend checking out Stephane Piter's Keep website. (I don't have enough posts under my belt to add his URL here so is someone else could do it for me, that would be great.) He has information and pictures of deleted scenes from the film.

Video Watchdog hasn't published an article on the Keep but I am presently working on one for VW that will compare the Theatrical version, the Television version and the second draft of the script.

I don't know if Michal Mann's cut of the film was "3 or 4" hours long as I've seen elsewhere on the web but there is a lot of material found in the script that goes a long way towards helping the film make more sense. Hopefully we'll get the chance to see a Director's cut some day.

Sean Murphy

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I remember reading after the movie was released in theatres that the effects were planned by someone and his vision died with him before the movie was finished. Can anyone confirm this?

6. James Phillips

James Phillips Stunt Coordinator

That was Wally Veevers.

7. PatrickDA

PatrickDA Stunt Coordinator

I'm sorry to say this, because Mr. Mann is my third favorite
    director, but 'The Keep' is the worst film made by a modern
    A-list director! Maybe his "original cut" makes story points
    a bit more clear, but overall 'The Keep' is a piece of cow
    droppings!

8. Sean_Murphy

Sean_Murphy Auditioning

I forgot to mention above that the Keep has not been released on DVD.

Any DVDs of the film that you see for auction are bootlegs. Hopefully Paramount realizes that this is a title that people would like to see.

9. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Actually, I've always had a vague interest in "The Keep" since I used to own a D&D module for the movie. (Seriously. Someone in the early 80s was doing modules for movies. I remember Star Frontiers modules for 2001/2010 as well..)

Jason