The JVC XVS45GD Player, How does it compare to Sony or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Illingworth II, Sep 22, 2001.

1. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

May 11, 2001
    I'm exchanging my Hitachi DVP305U for a new player. The old reliables seem to be the Panasonic RV31K and the Sony DVPNS300, but neither of them have the zoom feature which I like. This JVC player seems to have all the functions, and from what the customer reviews I find at, it seems to be a good player.
    My Hitachi had problems with discs that used seamless branching, and it kept skipping and distorting the image. How does the JVC do on speed and disc quality? Anybody have one? If it's slow, or if it is notoriously sensitive and finnicky then I want to avoid it.
    Thanks for any help you can give!
  2. John Di Lauro

John Di Lauro Stunt Coordinator

Aug 4, 2001
    I purchased the XV-S40 (black version) about 5 months ago
    and so far it's been great. I've played about 20 rental discs, some with considerable scratches, without a problem. I had actually bought the RV31 also but ended up returning it. Picture-quality-wise,I could see no difference between the two. The Panny has some nice features but 2 things turned me off: The user interface, in my opinion, is lousy and the drive was very noisy. The JVC was the quietest of all the entry-level units I looked at. The remote is so-so, but I'm getting used to it.
    As for seamless branching, I really don't know what that is so I can't comment. The RV31 may do a better job at anamorphic downconversion, though I was unable to verify this. The JVC does okay; some shimmering is noticeable on rolling credits but I have not noticed anything strange with normal images. The JVC load time is a bit long (10-15 secs) but I think it does chapter jumps, REW/FF, etc. more
    smoothly than the RV31, so I was willing to tolerate it (the Panny was about 8-10 secs).
    I never really considered the Sony because I wanted the ability to play CDRs, and I was put off by the NS300's predecessor's (DVP-S360) somewhat checkered history.
    Hope this helps, and maybe you can explain what seamless branching is to me.