What's new

The journey towards lunacy continues (1 Viewer)

Jason Co

Second Unit
Well I fought off the upgrade demon for quite some time...but it is back with a vengeance. Currently I am running Axiom M50's, vp150's, Qs4's, svs 22-31 through a Denon 3802. My fronts are driven by a Parasound 1500A and my center channel by a Parasound 1201A mono. The 3802 is running the surrounds. I have a good oportunity to get 2 more Parasound monos for the surrounds which leads me to my question.... Sell the 3802 and get the Outlaw 950? This makes me a bit nervous considering I have only had the 3802 for about a year. I have leaned on the forum to get me where I am from my original Bose system and have not been steered wrong. Hopefully someone can give me some feedback on the Outlaw paired with my gear and if it would be the right move.

Jason

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm a fan of Outlaw products, and there's certainly nothing wrong with adding a couple more Parasounds for your surround speakers, but I really don't think you'll realize much improvement by doing so. What is it about the 950 that you think would improve upon the 3802?

I think your amps are good (even using the 3802 for your surrounds), and I don't think you'd achieve much more processing power. If it were me, I'd upgrade the speakers or add SACD/DVD-A capability if you don't already have it.

Jason Co

Second Unit
Rich,
Thanks for the reply. I am happy with the sound I am achieving with my current set up. I am always in search of upgrading to try to improve the quality of my sound more so than the volume. I think I am getting caught up in the thought that seperates will give me more clean (if that is the right word) power to my speakers. Honestly I never thought of upgrading the speakers which leads me to believe I am still pretty unclear in the upgrade path. I guess when it comes to auditioning speakers I really haven't thought of which way to go next. Any of that make senese?

Jason

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Axioms are good budget speakers, no doubt about it, but your Parasounds are in a higher class of product. Most folks suggest that you spend more on speakers than other components, as this has a greater effect on the quality of sound. I'm not quite so convinced that substantially more money for speakers is the best way to go, but your M50s and 150 cost a good deal less than the amps powering them. And I just don't see how much more processing power the Outlaw would provide you over the Denon.

Do you use your system for much music listening, or is it primarily home theater? If music is your bag, then I'd recommend considering a hi-resolution source component. The biggest improvement in the quality of sound for the lowest output of cash I've gotten lately is when I added a Sony C555ES SACD/CD player to my system (I paid $650-shipped, but this particular player is discontinued). You might want to consider putting your money into a great DVD-A or SACD or all-purpose player, as I've found that the expenditure required to upgrade to DVD-A or SACD stands up well to a cost/benefit analysis.

Jason Co

Second Unit
I am primarily a movie watcher more than a music listener. I have no experience with SACD or DVD-A, but I would like to be enlightened if you have any info>

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks