The Journey to Perfection.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by wally, Jul 23, 2002.

1. wally

wally Second Unit

Feb 12, 2001
    Does anyone else worry that the passion for our hobby is dulling some of our passion for films?

I watched Traffic last night, non-Criterion version, and several times during the movie I caught myself thinking, “Oh oh, was that some scratching in the dialog from the center speaker?” Yes, concern for my equipment had interrupted my enjoyment of the film. It's not the first time this has happened.

My wife can attest that I’m constantly striving for the best presentation my budget will allow. But, I can’t help thinking that between the fervor over Edge Enhancement, DTS vs. DD, D-VHS, etc,... we are loosing the basic enjoyment/entertainment of movies.

I also watched most of “Beautiful Girls” on cable prior to going to bed last night. Did I enjoy it Pan and Scanned on my 20 year old, 15” mono TV? Sure did. Would I purchase a P&S, mono DVD? Nope. But, I made do with the equipment I had at the moment.

Am I a JSP? I guess it depends on when and where I watch movies. I don’t purchase/rent MARed titles, and from now on, I’m going to try and focus more on why I got into Home Theater in the first place, because I enjoy watching good, and sometimes bad, movies.

Happy viewing everyone!
  2. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Sep 30, 2001
    With the advent of Home Theatre and DVD, it definitely looks like a case of the tail wagging the dog.

There are legitimate complaints such as releasing films in non OAR but when a film favorite is announced for DVD instead of just being happy that the film is getting released, there is too often complaints that it is barebones and where are all the extras! Posters who are furious if a film aspect ratio is compromised in anyway or a film altered by its film makers then turn around and wonder why no 5.1 remix on a mono film or film that was merely 2 track stereo theatrically so that they can show off their surround system.

A film is barely past its opening weekend before posts pop up asking when is the DVD release date scheduled and what extras will it have? Some even confess to not going to the theatre anymore and buying high profile movies on DVD sight unseen!

But then again this IS the Home Theatre Forum, isn't it? So its only natural the focus for most posters is on the home theatre and DVD rather than the films themselves which are almost an afterthought. I'm not being judgemental here, it is what it is and it's good to have a place where the HT tekkies can exchange their passion.