The Joke (Facets)-- buyer beware!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Steffen, Apr 7, 2002.

1. James Steffen

James Steffen Auditioning

As some of you may know, Facets recently released two key films of the Czech New Wave: THE JOKE (Jires) and DAISIES (Chytilova). After waiting eagerly for months, I received THE JOKE on Friday and was, frankly speaking, appalled. For several minutes at the beginning of the film, you see the top of the image pixellate and break up intermittently. I tried it on two different players--apparently it's a problem with the video master. After looking at it closely, realized that it was the tracking going in and out on the videotape they used to master the DVD!

Needless to say, I returned the DVD as "defective." Facets should be ashamed of themselves for putting such third-rate product on the shelves. I never expected the DVD to look as spectacular as the Criterion Czech titles (even though it's the same price--$29.95), but this is disturbing.

I'll keep you posted when I receive my copy of DAISIES, but now I'm afraid even to look at it.

James Steffen

2. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

It wouldn't be the first time Facets has pulled something like that. I ordered a VHS copy of Chimes at Midnight from them about 4 years ago, which they were charging the exorbitant price of $80 for. What I got was a sub-bootleg quality copy that had an almost inaudible soundtrack thanks to massive hiss and a lousy picture. It also came in a plain white case with a photocopied cover. When I returned it, I got no response to two letters of complaint. So I've never dealt with them again.

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I steer away from Facets as I've heard some negative things about their releases. This confirms my strategy of not buying any of their releases until I know for sure how the quality is.

4. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Facets selling suspect product? I don't believe it! [​IMG]