The job hunt this far...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Orr, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

As some of you know from previous posts, I'm "retiring" from the Navy after 23 years of service, and spent the last 3 years earning my Masters in Elementary Education and getting my teaching license. This week I finally got to the point of going to interviews with actual schools. I had two yesterday, one for a fourth grade position and another for a fifth grade class. I have two more interviews (so far) scheduled for this week at two more elementary schools in our area. One is less than a mile from my house. Hopefully I will know by the end of the month where I will be working and teaching when school starts up in our area.

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Good luck Stephen!

Jeff

3. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Here's an update...

I had two job interviews today at two separate at-risk elementary schools.

The first principal said she wants to team me with another 5th grade teacher to teach language arts to a gifted cluster class. The other teacher would cover science, math and social studies. She said to expect a call tomorrow afternoon. Fifth grade is what we call a "standards of learning" testing grade, which is very rough for a first year teacher.

The second principal basically said "I'm asking for you by name today." He's offering a fourth grade class room, self contained (which means I teach all subjects), with Title I resource teachers coming in to assist with reading and math a couple of times a week. It is not a testing grade, and if the class and the teacher click, they can be "looped" through the fifth grade, which means the class and the teacher stay with each other for two years, instead of one.

I'm actually thinking about the second offer. The school is closer to my home by about four miles, plus the school is getting a new close circuit broadcast facility, which I have experience with.

I have a required Human Resources interview later this week, plus at least one more school interview tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck! By the end of the week, I could have a contract.

4. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Stephen, congrats on your long Navy career. My father was in the Navy for 22 years and retired a Senior Chief. I remember how difficult a transition it was for him at first. He ended up working for a Naval Shipyard in Benicia, CA since retiring and has been there ever since. I guess after being around ships for so long, he wanted to continue doing something similar. I always kid with him that he should have worked for Carnival Cruise Lines because atleast the family could get a discount out of it [​IMG]
    I hope everything goes well in your new career.

5. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Congratulations, Stephen. It seems to me that the demand for elementary school teachers, (men especially) is always very high. I had a couple of friends I graduated with a year ago and they literally had their choice of jobs across the country. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure you will find it tremendously rewarding.

Tim

6. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Alrighty, the big news...

I was offered and will be accepting a 4th grade teaching position at an elementary school about 10 minutes from my house. My salary will be first year base pay plus another $2,500 for my master's degree. There's a slight chance they may bump my pay up two steps based on being a military vet. (Two competing school systems have this in place).

On top of that great news, I just received my 5-year teaching license from the great Commonwealth of Virginia in the mail today, so now I'm officially certified. It means an additional 5 bucks an hour when I stay after school and tutor....

The Lord is sure lookin' out for this old retired chief and his family...

7. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Stephen

Cograts on your new profession!

I'm currently a SSgt in the Air Force on Active Duty with just over 5 years in service. Looking back, I almost seperated at my 4 year point to go to school full-time in Illinois with Elementary Education in mind. However, I re-enlisted for 6 more years :0 , which will give me 10 years time in.

I've almost got my Associated degree now (I need to get on the ball!) in Weather Technology (I'm a Weather Forecaster for the AF)...so I do have a rather large Science background.

I would like to be able to seperate at my next opportunity to do so (OCT 2006) and then try to get a teaching job (Elementary Education preferred) somewhere (not sure where exactly at this point). If I'm not in a good position to get out at that point, I'll probably stay in my 20 and retire into a teaching position (if possible) - much like yourself.

Any pointers for me? I know I need to get busy and finish my associates here this year...and then go for my Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education.

Thanks for any tips or pointers....I do thank you in advance.

Right now...I'm in Kuwait...so it may take me a day or two to respond to any posts - but I will as soon as I can.

Thanks!

8. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Congrats on the job! I was in the Navy for 6 1/2 years so I know where you are coming from.
    Also, your online DVD Profiler list is locked. You have the privacy setting on. Since it's in your sig, I though you probably wanted people to see your list, but we can't! [​IMG]

9. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Jesse,

I think the DVD profiler access is fixed now.

Stephen