What's new

The Jimmy Dean Show (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I sent this in to tvshowsondvd but they didn't post it for whatever reason. I was away last week and stumbled across RFD, a channel which I don't receive on FIOS. They were running remastered kinescopes of the ABC Jimmy Dean Show and ran a commercial for a Season 1, Volume 1 DVD release. For the bargain price of $130, you can get 15 season one episodes. Here's the link: https://www.thejimmydeanshow.com/

Now of course, since it was a Bob Banner produced show, as with anything he produced, like Garry Moore, etc., not a stitch of videotape survives as he was too cheap to do so, so all that remains are black and white kines. From what I'm reading, only 5 episodes have not been found, so I'm assuming they will have further releases. If they do another 4 or 5 sets with the remainder of the surviving 86 shows, you can get the whole series for around $1,000.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I sent this in to tvshowsondvd but they didn't post it for whatever reason. I was away last week and stumbled across RFD, a channel which I don't receive on FIOS. They were running remastered kinescopes of the ABC Jimmy Dean Show and ran a commercial for a Season 1, Volume 1 DVD release. For the bargain price of $130, you can get 15 season one episodes. Here's the link: https://www.thejimmydeanshow.com/

Now of course, since it was a Bob Banner produced show, as with anything he produced, like Garry Moore, etc., not a stitch of videotape survives as he was too cheap to do so, so all that remains are black and white kines. From what I'm reading, only 5 episodes have not been found, so I'm assuming they will have further releases. If they do another 4 or 5 sets with the remainder of the surviving 86 shows, you can get the whole series for around $1,000.
Yikes! I like the sausage fella, but not that much!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I get RFD on DirecTV, so I'll DVR a couple of episodes. I'm looking forward to Friday night's show because one of the guests is Molly Bee. I wasn't a big fan but I sat next to her at a birthday breakfast party in Nashville in 2005, and she was very nice. I barely remember what she was like when she was young.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I get RFD on DirecTV, so I'll DVR a couple of episodes. I'm looking forward to Friday night's show because one of the guests is Molly Bee. I wasn't a big fan but I sat next to her at a birthday breakfast party in Nashville in 2005, and she was very nice. I barely remember what she was like when she was young.

If you can, I would love to know what the running time is on the episodes. If they are severely cut, like Get-TV where the variety shows come it around 41 minutes, or if they are actually leaving all of the musical performances intact.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
If you can, I would love to know what the running time is on the episodes. If they are severely cut, like Get-TV where the variety shows come it around 41 minutes, or if they are actually leaving all of the musical performances intact.
I can't speak for that, but I know as a general rule, Hee Haw clocks in at around 49-50 minutes, the standard running time for an hour long show. Every great now and then they would cut a performance by the Hagar Brothers, but that was the exception and not the rule.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

I'll do that after I watch Friday night's show.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron, a lot of the episodes currently on Youtube are clocking in between 48-50 minutes with the Hager Brothers' performances intact.
It's been a few years ago that they were doing it. I e-mailed RFD each time it happened; I know they weren't directly responsible, but I'm guessing they brought it to the attention of the powers that be.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Last night's show, which featured guests Molly Bee, Buck Owens, and Don Adams (doing a comedy bit), clocks in at about 41 minutes, so it's far from complete. It was entertaining, though.

I get RFD in standard definition and the last night's show was letterboxed. I don't see any technical specs for the DVD set on the website but I assume that the DVD shows are uncut.

As for that DVD set - 15 episodes for $120 (plus shipping!). I think not. At that rate it would cost about $600 for the entire series.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This us an entertaining show but there are obvious edits. An episode recently featured comic Norm Crosby but his segment was edited out.

Frank Provasek

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Provasek
Thought I would add to this year-old thread.... I had an account years ago under an email I can't access. Thinking that perhaps Amazon or Costco had these DVD sets at a more reasonable price -- a year after the Carol Burnett and Johnny Carson multi-DVD sets were being offered on 30 minute infomercials at around $129, they were showing up at Costco for $40.

But nothing past the first half of season 1 is available anywhere, and still $119 from thejimmydeanshow.com RFD-TV is currently running season 3 (along with a mix of earlier shows) with the last "new" episodes ending in early 2019.

Looks like a PBS fundraising special on Jimmy Dean hosted by Roy Clark (with music from the show on audio CD as a bonus) led to hopes of the Jimmy Dean Show being run on public television as a "memories" show - as was done with Lawrence Welk.

There is a difference between memories and people with an interest in the history of music, movies, TV. Sadly, the people with memories of a show that ran 1963-66 are becoming fewer and fewer ( I barely remember the show as a child, and only enjoyed Rowlf the dog) Probably wisely, the PBS thing didn't happen.

It looks like something happened to a big 2013 DVD release by an upstart company Global Vision Entertainment in association with Bob Banner Associates. GVE, started by a 35 year old guy who sold an ice cream cart business for a fortune, then turned it into millions playing poker, and decided to become a partner after asking his FATHER if he ever heard of somebody named Jimmy Dean...

A Youtube official Jimmy Dean Show channel promised a new music clip every week...and stopped after 5 weeks in 2013. A "Road to Restoration" clip (which includes a clip of Dean, who died in 2010) opens by saying the Jimmy Dean show was "filmed live and mastered on kinescope" as if they are unaware that the show was produced on two inch videotape was later wiped for reuse, and these 16 millimeter prints (probably requested by Dean in his contract to show as home movies) are NOT broadcast masters -- and today's technology is NOT making them "look and sound better than the original broadcast."

This 2013 attempt probably was shut down after going way over budget. The work was being sent out to high end and expensive restoration houses -- including a separate company just for the audio, where producer Tom Fletcher of Atomix is old enough to know better that the audio on the "masters" is poor because back in the mid 1960s they didn't have woofers and tweeters.

It looks like the whole project got dumped back to Dean's widow Donna Dean Stevens (in her late 50s, I assumed it was a daughter's married name...but it's the remarried widow's name...she was Dean's 2nd wife and 35 years younger than him) None of the people and companies from the 2013 effort are mentioned in the 2017 credits.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
A "Road to Restoration" clip (which includes a clip of Dean, who died in 2010) opens by saying the Jimmy Dean show was "filmed live and mastered on kinescope" as if they are unaware that the show was produced on two inch videotape was later wiped for reuse, and these 16 millimeter prints (probably requested by Dean in his contract to show as home movies) are NOT broadcast masters -- and today's technology is NOT making them "look and sound better than the original broadcast."
I’m happy to see that this wonderful variety show is finally becoming available. However, it’s worth pointing out that there are issues with this release.

Producer Bob Banner was famous for dumping the 2-inch master tapes of many of his productions in favor of just retaining a cheap 16mm reference kinescope. As stated, the claim made by the “restoration team” that the show was produced on film via 16mm kinescope is ludicrous, and goes a long way in explaining some of the second-rate work that was done on this set.

The biggest casualty on this set is the audio on some of the shows. Some suffer from muffled sound and what’s known as “pumping”, an artifact that arises from excessive use of filters and normalization software. We all know that kinescope audio isn’t very good, but these characters made it worse by over-processing the audio in an attempted fix. Kinescopes of some of these shows ended up in the film collector world, and confirm that leaving the existing audio “as is” would have produced a much better product.

The set’s designation Season 1, Volume 1 could be somewhat misleading. In most cases this designation implies that you are getting the first (consecutive) half of the shows produced in Season 1. However, this set is comprised of shows cherry-picked from across the entire season.

Finally, the running times for some shows indicate edits are present in this set. The worst case being the premiere show, which clocks in at 37 minutes. Guest Dick Shawn’s entire feature segment has been deleted.

I’d like to see more of these shows released, but it certainly would help if a more experienced team worked on restoring any subsequent releases.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thought I would add to this year-old thread.... I had an account years ago under an email I can't access. Thinking that perhaps Amazon or Costco had these DVD sets at a more reasonable price -- a year after the Carol Burnett and Johnny Carson multi-DVD sets were being offered on 30 minute infomercials at around $129, they were showing up at Costco for $40.

But nothing past the first half of season 1 is available anywhere, and still $119 from thejimmydeanshow.com RFD-TV is currently running season 3 (along with a mix of earlier shows) with the last "new" episodes ending in early 2019.

Looks like a PBS fundraising special on Jimmy Dean hosted by Roy Clark (with music from the show on audio CD as a bonus) led to hopes of the Jimmy Dean Show being run on public television as a "memories" show - as was done with Lawrence Welk.

There is a difference between memories and people with an interest in the history of music, movies, TV. Sadly, the people with memories of a show that ran 1963-66 are becoming fewer and fewer ( I barely remember the show as a child, and only enjoyed Rowlf the dog) Probably wisely, the PBS thing didn't happen.

It looks like something happened to a big 2013 DVD release by an upstart company Global Vision Entertainment in association with Bob Banner Associates. GVE, started by a 35 year old guy who sold an ice cream cart business for a fortune, then turned it into millions playing poker, and decided to become a partner after asking his FATHER if he ever heard of somebody named Jimmy Dean...

A Youtube official Jimmy Dean Show channel promised a new music clip every week...and stopped after 5 weeks in 2013. A "Road to Restoration" clip (which includes a clip of Dean, who died in 2010) opens by saying the Jimmy Dean show was "filmed live and mastered on kinescope" as if they are unaware that the show was produced on two inch videotape was later wiped for reuse, and these 16 millimeter prints (probably requested by Dean in his contract to show as home movies) are NOT broadcast masters -- and today's technology is NOT making them "look and sound better than the original broadcast."

This 2013 attempt probably was shut down after going way over budget. The work was being sent out to high end and expensive restoration houses -- including a separate company just for the audio, where producer Tom Fletcher of Atomix is old enough to know better that the audio on the "masters" is poor because back in the mid 1960s they didn't have woofers and tweeters.

It looks like the whole project got dumped back to Dean's widow Donna Dean Stevens (in her late 50s, I assumed it was a daughter's married name...but it's the remarried widow's name...she was Dean's 2nd wife and 35 years younger than him) None of the people and companies from the 2013 effort are mentioned in the 2017 credits.

While I have to give RFD credit for bringing this back out for public viewing, they are so haphazard in the way they treat classic country programming. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how The Porter Wagoner Show and The Wilburn Brothers Show are shown. Other "Show Biz" shows have been unceremoniously dropped. Then there's Hee Haw. A show that ran from 1969-1992, gets ONE SHOWING per week, and then they go into reruns for the summer. My goodness. There have been skipped episodes and edited episodes as well. They should be going into the 1980 season this year, I believe. 12 more seasons to go! Speed up the process!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks