What's new

The Jeffersons: The Complete Series? (1 Viewer)

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
To Shout! Factory:
Since "All in the Family" has been completed on DVD, can you release "The Jeffersons" in a Complete Series box set?
All 253 episodes, including "Tom the Hero", "George and Louise in a Bind" (90-minute special), and "The Ones You Love" should be remastered in high definition and unedited.
The frame rate errors from Season 6 should be corrected.
Scene selection menus, chapter stops, and a "Play All" feature should be included for all the episodes.
The set should have 32 DVDs for the episodes and a 33rd DVD for special features.
Audio commentaries and text commentaries should be included with the episodes.
Here is my list of bonus features:
Movin' On Up: The Story Of The Jeffersons (All-New Full-Length Documentary With Marla Gibbs, Berlinda Tolbert, Norman Lear, Ned Wertimer, and Archival Footage of Other Cast Members and Clips from All Seasons)
The Jeffersons Move Up (From All In the Family, Remastered in HD and Unedited)
The Jeffersons On All in the Family (1971-1978)
Commercials With The Jeffersons (And The Cast, Including The Jeffersons' Commercials For The Gap, Old Navy and Denny's, Promos From CBS, Syndication, Nick at Nite, and TV Land, and Other Commercials with the Cast)
The Real Live Jeffersons
Archival Interviews With The Cast (Including Excerpts from Isabel Sanford, Sherman Hemsley, and Marla Gibbs' Archive of American Television Interviews)
The Jeffersons Cast on Rolonda (1997)
Checking In (1981, 4 episodes)
Special Guest Appearances:
The Mike Douglas Show (October 8, 1975, With Sherman Hemsley)
The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Muhammad Ali (1976, Excerpt With Sherman Hemsley and Isabel Sanford)
The Jeffersons on Family Feud (1980)
The "E/R" Pilot With George Jefferson (1984)
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1995, 1996)
Sprung (1997, Clip With George and Louise)
Jane Austen's Mafia! (1998, Clip With George and Louise)
Tyler Perry's House of Payne: Curtis Jefferson (2011, Episode With George and Florence)
The Historical/Social Significance of The Jeffersons (New Documentary With Media Historians, Social Scientists, Prominent African-American Actors and Actresses, The Cast of The Jeffersons, and Fans of The Series, and contrasting "The Jeffersons" to today's black-oriented sitcoms)
Isabel Sanford at the Emmy Awards (1985)
This is Your Life: Isabel Sanford (1985)
Intimate Portrait: Isabel Sanford (2003)
Living in TV Land: Sherman Hemsley (2006)
The Jeffersons at the Paley Center (March 1999, March 2002)
The Jeffersons at the TV Land Awards (2003)
Truth Behind the Sitcom Scandals: The Jeffersons (2008)
TV Land Specials With Sherman Hemsley:
– Top 10 TV Spinoffs (2006)
– All in the Family Episodes (2006)
– Characters You Love to Hate (2005)
– Top 10 TV Dads (2004)
TV Land Convention Special (2004)
A Special Tribute to Sherman Hemsley
A collector's book, with a detailed history of the series, biographies of the cast, characters, and the crew, pictures, articles about the show, and an episode guide should be included.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Does reality ever intrude on what you demand be put on DVD? Or is it just something you ignore?:rolleyes:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While Subby is oblivious, I would like to see a Jeffersons Complete series, from either Shout or Sony.
Episodes only are good enough for me. And at Sony prices, it would be worth re-buying the released seasons to get the unreleased seasons.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by rmw650 /t/320134/the-jeffersons-the-complete-series#post_3961441
Ian, we all know how much you want to see select programs get released onto the DVD format but you need a reality check here and need to understand the basic concepts of what is required and what goes into releasing a TV show(s) as there are major hurdles to go through, not to mention music rights and royalties needing to be paid and the like. Clearances is the keyword here and I don't mean what you see at the end of a department store. You've been doing this over at Shout's board too and while I commend you for loving the old TV shows, you have to get a grip and know that 9 out of 10 times, these wishes/requests you're making will never see the light of day. Happy Days is a perfect example of such...music rights issues, just like with WKRP's DVDs and a few others that have music heavily associated with a show. Also, if they don't sell well individually, one can't see the studios going all out on making DVD complete series sets. If it was the other way around and the studios decided to make complete series first and then saw what transpired from that saleswise BEFORE releasing the individual seasons of such shows, then there might be that possibility of future releases and giving folks/fans the option of going with a series set already out on the market versus an individual set of a show. Again, this is just a dream of yours in all or any of this happening so give it up for now and enjoy what you have at your disposal already or you can tape the shows off cable/ME-TV/Antenna TV if you do get those channels in your area and remove all the commercials from the actual tapings.

Who cares if it's a dream? How is it hurting you? You guys resurrect a thread that's been dead for 4 months to tell him to deal more with the present?! WTH?

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
I don't mind classictvfan91's wishful thinking list of extras, but I just wish it were more organized and split into categories of what the extras entail. Rights issues would surely not allow everything to be included, but if I were a betting man, I imagine these would have a better chance of being seen:
Episodes:
* All 253 Episodes across 32 DVDs (2 discs for S1, 3 discs each for S2-S11), remastered and unedited
* Bonus "All in the Family" Episode: The Jeffersons Move Up (1975)
* CBS Episodic Promos
Bonus Disc:
* Movin' On Up: The Story Of The Jeffersons (approx. 45 minutes)
* Excerpts from "Archive of American Television" Interviews
- - Norman Lear (1998)
- - Isabel Sanford (2002)
- - Sherman Hemsley (2003)
- - Marla Gibbs (2006)
* The Jeffersons at the Paley Center (March 2002)
Collectibles
* Collector's Book - featuring pictures and an episode guide
Most of the other extras (random TV episodes where the cast make guest appearances, game shows), seem unnecessary in the enjoyment of the series as a whole, but the material above could easily be included. Especially since the AoAT interviews are available free of charge. Surely someone could edit the "Jeffersons"-relevant pieces together into a making-of documentary.

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
Actually, there is one special feature NOT included on that very long list which is (I think) very much reasonable and should be included in such a set... the entire series of the spinoff Checking In. It only lasted four episodes, and ironically, The Jeffersons actually had more episodes (five total) focusing on Florence leaving, the Jeffersons finding a new maid, and Florence coming back.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
skees53 said:
Actually, there is one special feature NOT included on that very long list which is (I think) very much reasonable and should be included in such a set... the entire series of the spinoff Checking In. It only lasted four episodes, and ironically, The Jeffersons actually had more episodes (five total) focusing on Florence leaving, the Jeffersons finding a new maid, and Florence coming back.
Good call on that one, David! I completely forgot about it.
Surely it could fit on a bonus disc with the "All in the Family" episode and a couple extras already mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TodBrowningJR
Recent bookmarks