What's new

The JBL S-center channel...a hard worker !! (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I really need to compliment this center channel for the performance vs. price bargain that it is. The reason why I say this is because I was able to get a POLK CS400I (I call it "the MONSTER")which cost double of what the JBL does.
And even though the POLK is a bit more refined and has more "oomph" to it...it's not $200 better. I just sold my s-center to complete my Polk setup, but I have to admit that this little sucker can hold it's own with center channels that cost twice as much with no problem... Don't get me wrong, the POLK CS400I is an excelent center !!!...but it just shows how good the JBL was for half the price.
I got the POLK CS400I for $135.00 on clearance at the WIZ :D
It was the last piece I needed to get all identical series POLK's...rt600i / rt25i / cs400i

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Anthony:

Any observations you have as to the differences in your Polk setup versus your previous JBL setup would be greatly appreciated. I'm particularly interested in your estimation of the characters during 2-channel stereo performance.

Also, what amp/receiver are you running?

My current setup: H/K 320, JBL HLS Center, JBL S38 mains, JBL S26 rears.

Thanks,

AM

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Angelo, I'm using an Onkyo 575x with a Marantz cc3000 cd player and a Panasonic DVD-Audio/Video player.

I originally purchased a pair of JBL S26 as mains to go with the center channel and my Velodyne sub....I wasn't to happy with the S26. They are good speakers but it was not the sound I was looking for....They were a bit "bright" for my taste...Also, I found myself increasing the volume to much on my reciever to get any decent output from them. That had to do with the JBL's sensitivity (87db ?)....My Polks can play much louder with a more refined sound in my opinion. Maybe if I would have gone to the s38'S than maybe I would have had a different experiance....I hope this helps...

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Anthony:

Thanks, that's helpful. Yes, I think you would have been happy with the S38s with their greater sensitivity. I have them and I have the N38s, both of which I believe have a sensitivity of 90db, which makes them fairly easy to drive.

How do you like your Onkyo? I'm impressed with the specs on the TX-SR600 and might pick one up to demo it at home.

--AM

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Angelo, search the forum on the new Onkyo unit. I remember some concerns on power output being discussed here..(or maybe it was a different one ?)

Mike Kao

Second Unit
I bought a set of JBL NSP1II's and like Anthony, the sound reproduction just didn't do it for me. Paired with a Harman Kardon AVR320 which is a very warm/musical receiver, the JBL's are a bit bright, and dull sounding. I haven't heard the Studio's though, so perhaps they're a different story. After about a couple weeks of break-in I decided to disconnect the JBL's and hook back up my Infinities which have always managed to put a smile on my face :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks