What's new

The Japanese make the best whiskey?! (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Lance, you had a chance to try Japanese whiskey? According to the article, Japanese whiskey is hard to find in Canuckland. :frowning:

Hmm, that reminds me, I should check Willowpark Liquor Store here in town.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Willow park is good for almost anything, Max. if you can't find it there, check out the place at Glenmore landing, I can't remember the name of it... I'm told that place is good as well, and it's owned, or operated, I can't remember, by the guy who does the wines in the Herald.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
No way. Folks in the eastern Tennessee hills have he best whiskey. (sorry, had to throw my biased opinion in here as well) ;)

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
To my taste, there are at least 3 major categories of whiskey. Scotch whiskey, which I can't abide. Blended whiskey, AKA Canadian whiskey, smooth yet somewhat bland. And sour mash whiskey, my preference.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I was just in Scotland 2 weeks ago and I picked up a bottle of some of the best Scotch I have ever had. If you can find a Bottle of Edradour pick it up. YUMMY

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Andy: :D

What is sour mash whiskey? Sounds...barbaric. Could be good. ;)

Edradour...must be pricey heh.

I'll have to check Glenmore Landing out...for some reason the liquor store there is in my blindspot - I never see the storefront!

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Well, considering that Japan has a higher per-capita alcoholism rate than Scottland, this isn't all that surprising. :)

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
Of course, much as i love Japanese films and cultural traditions, i have to say the best ever Whisky was.. Welsh whisky. So good, it was no doubt stamped out by the devilish jealous Saxons and lost in the mists of time, to be rediscovered, when Merlin awakes from his mountain prison, and Arthur returns to free Celtic Britain.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
What is sour mash whiskey? Sounds...barbaric. Could be good
Jack Daniels is a sour mash whiskey. All bourbon is made from sour mash (Jack Daniels is not a bourbon since it is not from the right area of Tennessee). It is a misnomer to label a special type of whiskey as "sour mash"; it really only describes the process through which a bit of mash is carried over to start the next batch to ensure consistency, similar to sourdough bread.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
The Edradour wasn't that bad. I picked up a bottle at Heathrow and paid less then my boss did in Scotland, only 27.50 which is about

$50.00 us

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

They may MAKE the best whiskey in Eastern Tennessee, but can they DRINK it ?

Thought the county Jack was produced in is dry ?

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
It is a misnomer to label a special type of whiskey as "sour mash"; it really only describes the process through which a bit of mash is carried over to start the next batch to ensure consistency, similar to sourdough bread.
I wouldn't try to dispute that as I am not an expert on Whiskeys (I should be one on DRINKING them however). All I know is I stick to the ones that actually say the words "sour mash" right on the label and I'm happy. Jack Daniels, W.L. Weller, Ezra Brooks are some examples.

Ezra Brooks label says "90 proof-Sour Mash Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey". W.L. Wellers label says "Kentucky straight Bourbon Whiskey" and on the side label "Original Hand Made Sour Mash".

I have tasted a W.L. Weller Whiskey single barrell that was aged 12 years and did NOT say "sour mash" anywhere on the label; it tasted of Scotch Whiskey!

Hey, everyone's tastes are different. Some people hate the "sour mash" taste and love the "scotch whiskey" taste. I just happen to be the opposite. Also, I only drink it mixed with Coke, which probably makes a huge difference. You just cannot mix Scotch with Coke. The sour mash goes with sweet whereas scotch does not.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
Jack Daniels is not a bourbon since it is not from the right area of Tennessee).
Although this may or may not be technically correct, I choose not to recognize it. It is artificially made up, has no physical rationalization, is politically motivated, and really just plain ludicrous. One can make bourbon anywhere in the world. All you need is corn (and the sour mash). One can NOT make Tequila or certain wines anywhere but where they are made because the Agave / grapes grow differently in different climates. Come on now, is there really any difference between Kentucky and Tennessee?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks