What's new

Pre-Order The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 1 (1976-1982) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
326756_front.jpg

The Killer Meteors / Shaolin Wooden Men / To Kill with Intrigue / Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin / Dragon Fist / Battle Creek Brawl / Dragon Lord

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I take it Warner Bros still owns The Big Brawl.

It's listed in this set under the variant title Battle Creek Brawl. As far as I know, it's still owned by Warner Bros., but Warner has licensed some titles out to Shout! Factory before (eg., three of the Val Lewton horror films from the RKO catalog: The Curse of the Cat People, The Leopard Man, and The Body Snatcher).

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Jackie Chan is just hands down Amazing!! Even if the films may or may not be super, Chan Always delivers the goods!!

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I think I have all but one of these as UK imports or other editions. Nice to have some of them finally get releases stateside.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
These are pretty much all his (hugely) lesser/minor (and certainly, generally his least popular) flix mostly made before he found his groove (whether for the Hong Kong/Chinese Diaspora audience or international in the case of Battle Creek Brawl). The only one I might wanna get out of this set is probably Dragon Lord (and maybe Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin at bargain price or iTunes I guess). Definitely not interested in the entire set unless on super bargain price (and I do already own the UK import BD of Dragon Fist)... and even then, not sure about yielding my increasingly scarce shelf/storage space (or possibly eventual moving hassle) these days, LOL. :P

For me, unless they release Dragon Lord as standalone and available at a reasonably attractive price, I'm probably fine w/ just waiting for them to put the couple titles of (remote) interest on iTunes and eventually at $5 bargain price instead... :P

I do see some version of Dragon Lord is already on iTunes, but looks like it's just a bastardized(?) Miramax/Dimension version w/ English dub as often the case.

_Man_

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
It's listed in this set under the variant title Battle Creek Brawl. As far as I know, it's still owned by Warner Bros., but Warner has licensed some titles out to Shout! Factory before (eg., three of the Val Lewton horror films from the RKO catalog: The Curse of the Cat People, The Leopard Man, and The Body Snatcher).

My understanding is that it was a split rights deal with Golden Harvest. Warners owns TBB, which was shot in English (with Jackie speaking phonetically), and GH retains BCB, which was dubbed into Cantonese and Mandarin. I believe the cuts are slightly different as well.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
My understanding is that it was a split rights deal with Golden Harvest. Warners owns TBB, which was shot in English (with Jackie speaking phonetically), and GH retains BCB, which was dubbed into Cantonese and Mandarin. I believe the cuts are slightly different as well.
That would explain why the version of Big Brawl on Amazon streaming is the international one (in English mind you with Jackie's real voice) and has the Fortune Star logo at the start.

It also looks downright hideous.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
That would explain why the version of Big Brawl on Amazon streaming is the international one (in English mind you with Jackie's real voice) and has the Fortune Star logo at the start.

It also looks downright hideous.

So does the US version of Supercop. I got Eureka's UHD set of the Police Story Trilogy. The "primary" version of each is in 4K UHD, while alternate cuts are in 2K HD (albeit on the same UHDs). At any rate, Police Story III - Supercop (the HK version) was sublime, while Supercop (the US version) was awful. Not in that there was anything wrong transfer-wise, but that American-ized title sequences with gawdawful rendition of "Kung Fu Fightin'" on the soundtrack made it unwatchable.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
So does the US version of Supercop. I got Eureka's UHD set of the Police Story Trilogy. The "primary" version of each is in 4K UHD, while alternate cuts are in 2K HD (albeit on the same UHDs). At any rate, Police Story III - Supercop (the HK version) was sublime, while Supercop (the US version) was awful. Not in that there was anything wrong transfer-wise, but that American-ized title sequences with gawdawful rendition of "Kung Fu Fightin'" on the soundtrack made it unwatchable.
I absolutely have the US Supercop Soundtrack with Tom Jones' Kung Fu Fighting and Devo doing Head Like a Hole (and proving once again that any NIN cover is better than the original.) 🤣

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger

Not to mention they cut several minutes out, most of it the comic stuff. This happened time and time again by U.S. knuckleheads who didn't understand that Jackie being funny and getting hurt was partly what made him a star in the first place!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickLanzetta
Recent bookmarks