"The Ivory Gate of Dreams"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

My not-so-new metal obsession lately has been Fates Warning. Man, are these guys good. Very dark, very dense, certainly not easy to get into. However, I kind of cringe when they get lumped into the whole "prog" thing. I don't get that feeling from them at all. They are way above most of the "prog-metal" bands- no flashy solos or any such thing.

What's amazing about them is that they changed their sound, style, and band members so much over the years, and I like everything that I've heard. I just got Spectre Within, their second album. I've seen it get trashed, but I don't understand why. Sure, the lyrics are corny, but so is all 80s metal. It's not worse than Iron Maiden, Queensryche, or Megadeth, all bands that I love.

Awaken the Guardian is easily one of my favorite metal albums. People point to this as the point where they start to go "prog-ish," though I don't see that at all. It's just continuing what they were doing in Spectre Within and improving it.

I've not heard their first album, Night On Brocken. I shall be acquiring it shortly.

I like the second singer much better, and their music with him, especially with Zonder playing drums, is the best. No Exit is pretty cool, the highlight of course being Ivory Gate of Dreams. Perfect Symmetry is, IMO, their masterpiece, representing everything Fates Warning is about. I would rank this on my top 5 metal albums without hesitation.

Parallels and Inside Out were somewhat controversial because they sounded more commercial. I love Parallels no matter what anyone says: it's just great. I am expecting Inside Out in the mail shortly.

A Pleasant Shade of Grey is there other masterpiece. I think it's the only concept album I've heard that is both interesting and not overblown with solos and nonsense. It does a great job of using sound and atmosphere to get its point across.

Their latest one, Disconnected, continues their roll. They lost a guitar player and bass player, I think, but perhaps it streamlines their sound and makes them more focused.

2. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

I highly recommend you get their live CD "Still Life". It is excellent and includes a live version of Ivory Gate that is awesome. I personally do not like John Arch's voice so i am not too into their pre No Exit albums.

Oh and rent "Live at the Dynamo" before deciding if you want to buy it. It has pretty lousy video and sound with a fairly lifeless crowd, probably the worst concert video I have ever seen.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I never "got" these guys. I bought a couple of albums and I've seen them live a couple of times, and they still do nothing for me. Maybe I'm missing something, but I never got anything special from them.

Jason

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

James, I will definitely pick up the live album after acquiring all of their studio stuff.

I'm listening to Inside Out now for the first time. Definitely more "commercial," but very good. They can do no wrong by me.

Jason, to each his own. Fates are one of those "love 'em or hate 'em" bands. It's definitely the kind of music that will get nothing more than a cult-ish following.

Out of curiosity, what did you listen to?

5. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

James, if your basing your opinion of FW on anything before 1990, you might want to give them another chance. Their last two albums, in particular, are fantastic, and emphasize the progressive over the metal. I don't even consider them a metal band anymore. Most fans think A Pleasant Shade of Grey is their best work. I love that CD, but their most recent effort, Disconnected is just as good, to me anyway.

Mike, if you like their heavier stuff, check out Ray Adler's solo project, Engine. And, I'll second the recommendation of Still Life.

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Jason, sorry I didn't make myself clearer.

I meant to ask which Fates Warning albums(s) did you listen to? I ask because they changed their sound a lot, and you may have listened to the lesser material.

8. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Sorry.

Parallels and APSOG.

Jason

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer