What's new

The Iron Giant SE - Due 9/7/04 (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
quote:Yeah, but I thought people would like absolute "disc in hand" confirmation. You didn't have the product with you, did you?

Well, yes. As I noted, the DVD was sent out for review as if it had still been scheduled for Sept. 7. I got it almost two months ago and answered some questions about its contents.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:Well, yes. As I noted, the DVD was sent out for review as if it had still been scheduled for Sept. 7. I got it almost two months ago and answered some questions about its contents.

Sorry - I missed that quote!
blush.gif

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
This is a great disc and hopefully http://www.toonzone.net will have a full, indepth review shortly for it. My only gripe is a lack of insert for the DVD. But everything else on this release is great.

Just a note for Wizard readers, they made a mistake in their article about this release. They state it's a two-disc set, which is incorrect. It's one disc but it is packed full of extras.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I came across a copy on Friday - and was looking for some other up and coming releases at the time and naturally picked it up! Have not had the opportunity to watch it yet but will do so by Sunday and post an overview. Granted I have never had a chance to see this film so it will be a surprise for me. Along with the customary commentary ( with Brad Bird, Tony Fucile,Jeff Lynch,& Steve Markowski)also 8 amazing additional scenes including an Alternate Opening and a Giant's Dream Sequence. As well there are 13 Branching Minidocumentary Segments highlighting key sequences from the viewpoint score,character design, storyboards and animation. I am taking this info from the back jacket and one last item is: Bird and creative consultant Teddy Newton analyse the movie's "Annie Meets Kent" and " Duck and Cover" sequences. Also a Stills Gallery and more surprises."The Voice of the Giant" featuring Brad Bird and Vin Diesel. Filmographies and Theatrical Trailers. Naturally it is Dolby Digital 5.1. That is the gist of it and will have my front projector fired up soon for a comment on video quality and sound.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Finally watched it last night and can say without reservation that the audio and video are both excellent! I have no complaints and your sub will get a very good workout- if I did not live in a townhouse the volume would have been higher just so that I could have more bass. I don't think anyone who likes this film will be disappointed! I am not a big fan of animation in general but thought this was a somewhat rare exception. I was surprised to see the oar was 2:35.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
quote:I was surprised to see the oar was 2:35.

As is Bird's "The Incredibles". It's so rare to see animation done in such a wide scope. Keep it up!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
If anyone else has XM Radio, there's a channel devoted entirely to film scores and soundtracks called Cinemagic. I was lucky enough to catch a bit of an interview between the guy that programs the channel and Brad Bird about "The Incredibles" where he mentions quite a few things about both films. He did note that the films were made for Scope, and that he intended both movies not only as animated features, but also as technical and artistic homages to early films and even cartoons. Thus, the wider Scope OAR as opposed to Disney's preference for 1.66 or 1.78. Very cool, and I'm glad to see this guy knows his stuff. The SE is on my holiday list for sure, and "The Incredibles" will definitely be a must-buy.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I have the previous release of this film, but I just pre-ordered the Special Edition. Presumably there will be no reason to keep the previous one once this SE is released. Hopefully.

One of these days, I need to stop ordering DVDs and start watching them!

Steve K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks