What's new

The Iron Giant: SE - 8/26! (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
This is truly a great movie that never received as much attention as it deserves.

Great to hear a SE is on the way. Although there is nothing at all wrong with the current DVD, it will be nice to have some more extras.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
This is a good movie.

I don't like the cover art as much as the one on the regular DVD.

~T

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
How is this movie depressing? Did you actually watch it right to the end?

True there are some gutwrenching scenes. In fact, this is one movie that never fails to make me cry. But as a whole, I think the movie is far from depressing.

As for the cover art, I'm not one who usually cares much about that sort of thing, but in this case I must admit the new cover looks pretty cool.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
From the Digital Bits:

Now for the bad news from Warner... the long-awaited special edition of The Iron Giant, which had been set for release on August 26th, has now been delayed until 2004. No specific reason has been given for the delay.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Awww CRAP! My guess would be that director Brad Bird wants to do some hands-on stuff for the DVD and is perhaps mega-busy working on Pixar's next, The Incredibles - which he's directing.

But DAMN nonetheless. I want this SE already! :frowning:

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
yeah but there is nothing wrong with the a/v on the current release of iron giant. so it should more than hold ya over till the se finally arrives. i don't see why people are so desperate for extras isnt the a/v exactly the same ? maybe the delay was to improve the quality. so it will probably be worth the wait for those that are buying it.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Aryn,

You're absolutely correct; the current DVD is quite excellent.

It's just that this SE has been rumored and discussed for so long that I was just getting psyched to own it. Minor disappointment, but I WILL own it one day! ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Minor disappointment, but I WILL own it one day!
You sure about that? At this rate, I wouldn't place any bets!

I once got an e-mail from a Pixar employee in which he mentioned Bird was working on this set and it'd be great. That e-mail arrived a couple of months before the Toy Story set hit DVD. That's almost three years in development for the Iron Giant DVD!

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Won't it be going from being a single-layered disc to a dual-layered disc? Won't that mean a bit of increased picture quality on the special edition (maybe)? I mean, as long as they don't still have a pan-and-scan version on the flip side.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
"yeah but there is nothing wrong with the a/v on the current release of iron giant. so it should more than hold ya over till the se finally arrives. i don't see why people are so desperate for extras isnt the a/v exactly the same ? maybe the delay was to improve the quality. so it will probably be worth the wait for those that are buying it."

I must disagree. A lot of the early, single-layer versions of films suffer from compression artifacts, Iron Giant was no exception. Granted, it is not so noticeable on 32" displays and below (in fact, it will look fine) but for the projection set owners like myself, higher bit-rate versions are always more welcome. If WB continues their trend with Special Editions, we'll see the widescreen version of the film spread across a dual-layer of the first disc and all supplemental material will be found on a second disc.

Jeff

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!

from the digital bits...

Now for the bad news from Warner... the long-awaited special edition of The Iron Giant, which had been set for release on August 26th, has now been delayed until 2004. No specific reason has been given for the delay.

whoops! Didn't see that this was already out there...is there a way I can delete this post?:b

John KB

Second Unit
This title is STILL listed as amazon.ca for release tomorrow. Is it currently just going to be released in Canada (warner did that with the pilot of smallville), or is this an error at amazon.ca?

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
It is an error. This title is not on the release schedule at this time, either now or even in 2004. It may come out in 2004, however, no date has been set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks