What's new

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Hugo needed about $450 million world wide to break even.

It grossed $185 million

So it was a huge financial flop.

HUGO
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $73,864,507 39.8%
+ Foreign: $111,905,653 60.2%
= Worldwide: $185,770,160

Although Hugo lost a lot of money, I still think it's a very good movie. It was good to see him do what I thought was an homage to not just Melies and the movies, but also imho Spielberg.

The Irishman seems to be a $200 million dollar movie, which seems like a lot for a crime drama. From wikipedia....

"
The Irishman was always a desired passion project for Scorsese, and in September 2014 it was confirmed it would be his next film following Silence (2016). Pacino and De Niro were confirmed that month, as was Pesci, who came out of his unofficial retirement to star after being asked numerous times to take the role. Filming began in New York City in September 2017, and lasted until March 2018. With a production budget of $200 million, it is the most expensive project of Scorsese's career. The film is set to have a theatrical release, followed by digital streaming, in late-2019, by Netflix."

Filming wrapped more than a year ago, and yet we still have about 6 months till it comes out. Hmmm.

Apparently made for about $40-50 million, with almost everyone from the director on down taking a big pay cut, Silence also didn't connect at the box office. Another movie that I liked....

Silence (2016)
Domestic Total Gross: $7,100,177
Distributor: Paramount Release Date: December 23, 2016
Genre: Drama Runtime: 2 hrs. 39 min.
MPAA Rating: R Production Budget: N/A
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $7,100,177 29.9%
+ Foreign: $16,637,346 70.1%
= Worldwide: $23,737,523

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It looks good, and you can hardly argue with that cast and creative team.

Could this be the last hurrah for Marty and his troupe? DeNiro's 75, Pacino's 79, Marty is 76. I know they used de-aging tech for this one. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see all of them continue making films until they're 100 (and DeNiro just might). But considering how difficult it was to even get this project off the ground, I fear it may be the last of these kind of pictures.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It looks good, and you can hardly argue with that cast and creative team.

Could this be the last hurrah for Marty and his troupe? DeNiro's 75, Pacino's 79, Marty is 76. I know they used de-aging tech for this one. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see all of them continue making films until they're 100 (and DeNiro just might). But considering how difficult it was to even get this project off the ground, I fear it may be the last of these kind of pictures.

The de-aging process had me concerned, it pretty much ballooned the budget and I was really worried about how it would look. You can see some of it in the trailer. Not sure why they did this rather than just using younger actors to play the characters during the earlier time period. I guess the bonus is you are getting more time with De Niro, Pacino, etc rather than watching different actors.

I actually don't think this is the last of De Niro and Scorsese as I believe De Niro has also signed on for Scorsese's next feature...which brings back DiCaprio.

It seems over the last decade or so audiences have really stopped seeing films based on who the actors or directors are and are just more interested in formula. So, this kind of picture has been pushed out of theaters onto streaming services. I mean I fully intend to see this in a theater, it is Scorsese, and we know it will at least get some sort of limited run but I hope they open it wider and give it a chance. People did come out to see Tarantino's latest and that is not at all the kind of picture that fits with what they are making today for theaters.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I mean I fully intend to see this in a theater, it is Scorsese, and we know it will at least get some sort of limited run but I hope they open it wider and give it a chance. People did come out to see Tarantino's latest and that is not at all the kind of picture that fits with what they are making today for theaters.
The big chains (AMC, Regal, Cinemark) wont play this movie at all because it is on Netflix which doesn't follow the 90 day rule. It wont get a wide release. Like Roma it probably will play in a lot of independent theaters and in theaters owned by Landmark.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The big chains (AMC, Regal, Cinemark) wont play this movie at all because it is on Netflix which doesn't follow the 90 day rule. It wont get a wide release. Like Roma it probably will play in a lot of independent theaters and in theaters owned by Landmark.

Really, do those cinema chains have a hard boycott on anything produced by Netflix? That's disappointing if it is true.

Reactions: PMF

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
ANOTHER gangster film from Scorsese, with DeNiro and Pesci... yawn. These people are all powerhouses, but I'm tired of the genre.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
ANOTHER gangster film from Scorsese, with DeNiro and Pesci... yawn. These people are all powerhouses, but I'm tired of the genre.

Well, it is a story Scorsese has long wanted to tell and it is a very interesting story. I don't have an issue with the genre and at this point in cinema history the genre they have just completely beat to death is the comic book film...so, to me anyway, this is like a breath of fresh air. Plus I have never found Scorsese's gangster films to be tired or repetitive so I'm not worn out on them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

FatherDude

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Netflix plunked down the $200 million to get the movie made when no other studio would. The idea that they should have to withhold it from their subscriber base to satisfy an outmoded three month exclusivity window (do most releases last more than even one month nowadays?) is boggling. By digging in their heels on this, the big theater chains achieved the victory making it more difficult for people outside of NY and LA to see a Scorsese film on the big screen. Laudable.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
As suspected, major theater chains reject screening the film:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/netflix-s-new-scorsese-movie-reportedly-won-t-be-shown-n1046931

If Netflix wants to be considered a "studio," in competition with others for awards and such, I'm not sure why they are so unwilling to adhere to the standard theatrical window. I'm not sure what difference it makes if this film appears on Netflix on Nov 27, or on Feb 1.

It's definitely a frustrating situation. Films don't seem, to my recollection, to stay in a theater for 3 months anymore. It seems like for many pictures they play for a month or less. For the "big films" which is the comic book, Star Wars, or animation stuff they might play a couple of months.

With adult pictures like this it seems the theaters only care about the first month, if the film is doing well, before they want to push it out of their cinema with some other picture directed at teens or families.

My feeling is the sides should compromise and cut the 3 months in half. Make it a 6 week exclusive window for cinema chains, that's all they really want it for anyway. I assume the worry here is the theater chains are concerned with screwing with how long they can have the comic book, animation, Disney stuff...because Disney has their own streaming service now right?

They don't want anybody to screw with limiting how long they have the exclusive deal on those pictures.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
But Pacino, DeNiro, Pesci and Scorsese are the genre;
to which we'll never see the likes for quite some time.
I think you'll be wonderfully surprised by this vintage bottle, soon to be uncorked.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've really got no interest in seeing this. Maybe I'll give it a spin when it finally hits a streaming service that I subscribe to.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

I've really got no interest in seeing this. Maybe I'll give it a spin when it finally hits a streaming service that I subscribe to.
So, do you think you'll be seeing this on the first day?

Reactions: PMF

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Netflix plunked down the $200 million to get the movie made when no other studio would. The idea that they should have to withhold it from their subscriber base to satisfy an outmoded three month exclusivity window (do most releases last more than even one month nowadays?) is boggling. By digging in their heels on this, the big theater chains achieved the victory making it more difficult for people outside of NY and LA to see a Scorsese film on the big screen. Laudable.
Why is the 90-day window "outmoded"? Why do you think Netflix doesn't have to play by the same rules as everyone else? There's no rule that says that can't put it on Netflix on day 1 if they want to, but they don't get force theater chains to play it.

Netflix digging in their heels is the reason people outside of the major markets won't get to see it in a theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks