1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Irishman (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Jul 31, 2018.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Thanks to videos on the internet, people's attention spans have been destroyed. They'll sit down and watch an entire season of some Netflix show in a day and a half but they have to break this down into 45 minute pieces?

2. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    I watched it in 2 parts. It was nice. It's not a classic or a great movie. I especially liked the ending and how people's actions caught up with them much later in life. Everything has a consequence. I loved the part where the nurse
    didn't even know who Jimmy Hoffa was

This movie overall felt like a TV movie and not a theatrical movie. It was perfectly appropriate for Netflix.

I find it fascinating on what makes a movie look like a TV movie and another look like a theatrical movie. I bet The Irishman used the same expensive cameras and lenses that many others use. So what makes a movie look like a theatrical movie? The answer must be much more complicated. A combination of the amount of time they spend on lighting and other stuff that I don't know. We have many smaller budget movies that look like a film and others with much more money that look like TV. Why?

willyTass likes this.
  3. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    I saw it in the theater and it looked theatrical to me. For $160+ million you know they treated it like a theatrically released movie.

4. Message #264 of 341 Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I saw it theatrically too and it certainly didn’t look like a TV movie to me. The cinematography was terrifically cinematic.

Jake Lipson, Jeff Adkins and AshJW like this.
  5. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    Just finished watching it on Netflix (in two sittings) and, agreeing and modestly disagreeing to varying extents with prior reviews above....

The 3-plus hours do go by fairly quickly, even with those now all-too-familiar slo-mo Scorsese scenes set to '60s music.

On that point, Scorsese's style with these mob-themed movies at this point almost borders on self-parody.... but it works. I'd have to say this may very well be his masterpiece; in any case on a par with Raging Bull and Goodfellas ... which is saying something.

Among the delights are the bouts of amusingly innocuous banter -- the type that has become familiar to any fans of virtually any gangster-themed works since the '90s including The Sopranos, Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, and the many Scorsese/ Tarantino/ Sopranos wannabe gangster movies of recent decades such as (among the more recent examples) the entertaining Finding Steve McQueen. Seeing The Irishman is to be reminded that Scorsese was the father of this device and remains its master.

Importantly, Scorsese and his collaborators are well aware that relatively few people today know or care about Hoffa ... and, instead of layering in boring text explanations at the movie's beginning and end, they get right into it, with some early DeNiro v.o. acknowledgement and a nice touch with a young retirement-home nurse toward the end.

All in all, a worthwhile expenditure of 3 hours and 15 mins. (the last 10 mins. of the 3 hrs. 26 mins. running time are the credits).

Reggie W and benbess like this.
  6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Who bankrolls this movie for $160 million? Damn...

Camps likes this.
  7. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Strangely enough, I think you can thank Disney for that, at least in part. It's no coincidence that Netflix has one of the most buzz-worthy films of the year debuting on its service the same month Disney launches its streaming service.

8. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    The $160 million is probably the reason Netflix is the only studio who would take it.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    No major studio is going to spend that much cash on a mob drama. If they're spending that much, they want an action/superhero FX tentpole that they can stretch into a trilogy.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  10. JimmyO

JimmyO Berserker

Jim
    Look how far we've come. We're literally calling a company where you used to just get DVD's in the mail for rent, and send them back - a 'studio'. Amazing evolution. I completely agree with the characterization, it's just fascinating to me.

I believe they still do the dvd/blu rental thing - in the US only, I think?

11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Yeah. I think Paramount had greenlit it for $120 million but between the budget ballooning above that and new management taking over, they were happy to unload it.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  12. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    I saw this on Netflix and have to agree with the HTF members that are saying this is a "good " but not a "great" film. While I was eagerly anticipating its release, I don't believe my expectations were too high going in. I found it overall to be rather plodding and too long. It often felt like a pastiche of many previous mob films films such as Goodfellas and The Godfather and really didn't differentiate itself from the pack. I enjoyed the performances by the principal cast members but I found the de-aging to be a distracting element; the actors at times appeared waxy and almost puppet-like. After I finished watching it, it just left me feeling flat and even indifferent towards it.

Mikael Soderholm and SamT like this.
  13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Darby67 and Steve Christou like this.
  14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I am in the middle of this. Wasn't great. Wasn't terrible. It just....was!

Darby67, SamT and Josh Steinberg like this.
  15. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Tino, I have actually seen plenty of reviews that didn't like Scorsese's latest exercise in self-indulgence.

I thought it was a good film but not one I'd rush out and buy, unless I see it selling for a pound at my local Poundshop.

Director Don Siegel once said "Shake a movie and 10 minutes will fall out", shake Scorsese's movie and 60mins will fall out.

One other thought if I may - Avengers Endgame was pure cinema, The Irishman was pure television. IMO of course. :)

Darby67, Tino and SamT like this.
  16. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

It is what it is

17. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    Please explain more. I'm interested. What do you mean it was pure television?

18. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    If it had been the same movie and director, but with different actors, nobody would have cared, or even seen it, probably.
    The success of the movie is because it is what it is, those actors and that director, like a classic band doing a farewell tour after having been gone, or at least uninteresting, for quite a while.
    That said, I quite enjoyed it, the long, slow buildup, the dialogue, the actors. De Niro was great, Pesci even better, but I was a bit underwhelmed by Pacino, after having seen DeVitos Hoffa just the other week, with NIcholson doing a magnificent Hoffa.
    Long slow story slowly dissolving into old age, possibly regret and much death.
    By any other director, nobody would have touched it, even with those actors, and without those actors, not even Scorsese would have seen this become real.
    So, a grand farewell by some of the greatest of the past decades, and I salute that.

The de-aging and other digital trickery is immaterial.

I will buy the bu and rewatch, if given the chance.

19. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    The Irishman won Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor for Joe Pesci from the NY Film Critics today.

20. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    It also won Best Picture from the National Board of Review.