What's new

The iPhone 6 and 6+ buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I do. I added another credit card last night that recently joined the ranks. I have both credit card set for "send notifications". I'll watch as I use them this weekend. Maybe it's specific to my card (and not my wife's with the same number) and I've not actually used it since adding it.Also, I've not bought anything with Apple Pay yet. Does it only notify you of purchases made through Apple Pay with an iOS device?
Apple Pay on the iPad 2 (or iPad Mini 2) only works within Apps. You can't use the iPad2 or iPad Mini 2 to pay in brick and mortar stores. In-store payment only works with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and the forthcoming AppleWatch. So, perhaps that's why you iPad2 isn't showing your transactions with your credit cards? It's not the "full" Apple Pay. ???

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Answer found!! Whether you get instant notifications or not depends on the credit card company! American Express is, apparently, the leader in this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/2n618b/apple_pay_question_instant_notifications/

The card I have linked is an American Express.

Also, here's one guy's story on how Apple Pay's instant notification feature helped him quickly catch a fraudulent charge:

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-apple-pay-helped-me-catch-a-fraudulent-credit-card-charge/

Mark

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mike, I was in the same boat but finally gave in since it had been a while. Went from a 4S to the 6 and am extremely happy with the increased performance and display real estate.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My American Express card is the Costco Cash Rebate version. I got to wondering if we'd still get the cash rebate points if we use the iPhone to pay instead of actually swiping the card. A phone call to AMEX confirmed that we do, indeed, still get our appropriate cash rebate points when we use the iPhone (Apple Pay) to pay. Further, she explained that, thanks to Apple Pay (using the iPhone), our AMEX will now be accepted in some places that previously didn't accept AMEX. Because they aren't really accepting AMEX, they are accepting Apple Pay (iPhone NFC payment). And we'll get our appropriate cash rebate points on those transactions too.

She assured me that AMEX is completely able to properly discern the type of business through Apple Pay. So, the 3% back at gas stations and the 2% back at restaurants will still apply as it normally would if we swiped our AMEX card. Nice!

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
Bummer that it isn't available for us users of a 4S.

Damn. I really didn't want to upgrade...
Not even last year's 5s! I'll upgrade next year (two year cycle) and get Apple Pay.

Mark Booth said:
Answer found!! Whether you get instant notifications or not depends on the credit card company! American Express is, apparently, the leader in this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/2n618b/apple_pay_question_instant_notifications/

The card I have linked is an American Express.
Thanks for the explanation of the credit card notifications.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Apple Pay instant notifications weren't working all that well for mel today. I think American Express' servers and/or Apple's servers were overloaded by the Black Friday shopping frenzy! :)

Mark

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I had zero issues with mine. Made a lot more transactions than usual this weekend too, maybe 8-9 from Thursday to Sunday which is a lot for me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There's an interesting undercurrent of stories where tech heads who swore vehemently against the 6+ because of preconceptions mostly attributable to monster Android phones have been re-evaluating their stance after spending time with one as their daily phone.

http://www.macstories.net/stories/iphone-6-plus-review/

http://www.marco.org/2015/04/06/life-with-the-iphone-6-plus

http://www.512pixels.net/blog/2015/4/well-i-switched-to-the-iphone-6-plus

They're coming to the same conclusion I have: The 6+ is pretty sweet. The extra size has some tradeoffs that leave a frustrating taste in your mouth, but overall they are worth it. Design is about making choices and Apple have done so with the larger phones, everything about using it is carefully considered and not done 'just' to have a bigger screen. Making a big phone only when thin frames and tiny bezels could work was a smart decision rather than just rushing in to it. And I don't think we have nearly reached the end of this design evolution: while I'd bet against going even bigger, I'd be open to at least trying it IF such careful consideration were given to it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nonetheless, I think I'll get the "normal" phone this Fall. At the Apple Store, the 6 is comfortable and the 6+ is immediately awkward. And unlike tech bloggers, I'm not in a position to own and trial multiple iPhones before choosing. Like buying shoes, I have to go with what's comfortable in the store. :)

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I have a safe browsing problem. I was watching something a few days ago (Bones, I think) and someone said that "187 Bitch" was a police code for murder. I googled 187 Bitch on my iPhone and Safari replied that since safe browsing was implemented the word bitch would be ignored. Anyhow, I can'f find anywhere to turn off safe browsing in either Google or in Safari. Can someone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm just getting my feet wet on what the iPhone 7 is and the plans I'll have to consider. What I mean is that I hear the new plans will allow the 2 year deal, but another plan allows you to pay the whole cost of the phone upfront and then you can upgrade the next year. Maybe that's already in place, I've not paid attention. The only reason I'm considering that is the iPhone 8 is allegedly coming a year later. So the cycle is reduced by a year.

One cool feature allegedly coming in the 8 and not the 7 is the wireless charging which would be nice.

While I doubt it, maybe the Apple Pencil will work on a Pro model of the iPhone.

I don't usually keep up with the rumors also never fully believe them. But it seems since Job's death, the security from the manufacturers isn't as tight so leaks seem to be true more times then not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks