What's new

The iPad 2 (NOT iPad3!) anticipation thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Looks like we are go for launch unveiling next Wednesday:

http://kara.allthingsd.com/20110222/exclusive-apple-ipad-2-event-set-for-march-2/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
$&#*!$'ing Posten, got the link in before me

(Good thread. Here's hoping for pre-order and delivery a month earlier than I expected.)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
From a different thread:

I'm assuming (predicting?) there will be a CDMA iPad 2 that works identically to the current 3G iPad. No mifi. No contract. A la carte data, but on Big Red's network. If not, I'll be with AT&T 100%.

This is going to be a difficult decision for me if you are right. And assuming there is no LTE variant. LTE variant and I am good to go, for up to $50 a month even. Hell yes it's worth $20 a month more than what I'm paying for my existing service to get that speed.

But you know what, if it's only CDMA vs. GSM? I'd go with the AT&T modem. I have never ever ever had issues with my data service, and the speed differential would be swing me. Even on Voice I have had fewer and fewer issues, tho my parents house is a definite at&t dead zone. My new work spot is 100% dead to any service so that's not a consideration.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've had recent travels in the Mid West where AT&T was noticeably inferior to Verizon (sections of highway in Kentucky or Tennessee where there's no AT&T service but Verizon has 3G signal). Assuming, of course, there is a CDMA iPad on Verizon. (The mifi option doesn't suit my needs.) Again, as a hedge. With both AT&T and Verizon devices, something would work. :)

LTE...Apple has just got CDMA working. I don't see LTE coming out two months later. Maybe next year?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The event is NOW OFFICIAL!

On like the Wrath of Khan!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/23/apples-holding-an-event-on-march-2nd-well-be-there-live/

http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-confirms-media-event-on-march-2/

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
It will be my precious. If something comes out with a double res screen, i'll sell my old one and get that one. I've been holding off for the iPad 2 for months now, don't want to wait till iPad 3.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPhones go on sale one or two weeks after announcement.

iPods go on sale within a week, I think, maybe even day of.

New Macs simply appear without notice. For sale the moment we hear about them.

The first iPad was new; there weren't existing iPad sales to quash with an early announcement. There was also (I think???) FCC issues getting the 3G model out that need lead time. A month pre-announcement was not unreasonable to get people thinking about it, build buzz, bring on developers. blah blah.

But today, with iPad 1 selling like hotcakes and still no notable competition, why pre-announce the iPad 2 a full month early? There's a risk of killing iPad sales for a month, which seems much greater than the risk the Xoom poses. (and we know the Tab sold maybe 5 units.)

And the rumors suggest it's a modest revision of the first. They don't have to prepare the world for dealing with a Retina Display or the Neural Connector (iPad 3, surely).

I'm hoping that there's no more than two weeks wait, perhaps just one week before sales.

Of course, mostly because I want to buy one yesterday. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Too many compromises to put LTE in an iPhone, but not too hard for an iPad I say! =p

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/25/verizon-ceo-claims-apple-lte-products-are-coming-doesnt-specif/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/02/25/found-footage-the-silly-season-two-videos-of-the-ipad-2/

"The iShotGun!"

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is the rumor I want (and believe) :)

I'm skeptical Apple is so aggressive as to get an iPad 3 out this Fall. But I can believe they'd get their refresh a month earlier than last year's launch, in order to (nearly) pre-empt the launch of every other competitor. They will basically have the iPad 2 out before anyone else has xTablet 1 out, save the 3G Xoom.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/25/apple_may_surprise_with_near_immediate_availability_of_ipad_2_next_week.html

While media reports have shed considerable doubt on Apple's capacity to facilitate a full-scale launch of its second-generation iPad in the short term, AppleInsider has reason to believe that customers could be holding the new tablet device in their hands shortly after next Wednesday's press event

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Also, when I was wondering if there would be a Verizon iPad to buy instead of an AT&T iPad...I wonder if I'm wrong. Will will it be a 3G iPad, and we'll have the choice of whether to use it on Verizon or AT&T? (fingers crossed that Apple is using an integrated GSM/CDMA chip in the iPad 2, ahead of the iPhone 5)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If there is immediate availability it will be the Wifi only model I suspect. Don't forget they have to have get FCC approval on new models.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ugh. I thought the iPad event was today. :( Aren't these things always on a Tuesday? Apple's messing with me. I was loading up Engadget and Ars to find the live blogs and...nothing. Harumph. Another day to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks