What's new

The Invisible Man + The Creature from the Black Lagoon Blu Ray Legacy Sets coming 8/28 (1 Viewer)

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
While no doubt disappointing, shouldn't the 2-D look a little better than before, since the image is no longer subjected to the SBS induced squeeze and stretch imaging?

CHEERS! :)

I don't think the 2D-only version was ever squeezed or stretched. I think it is overly DNR'd and as such is robbed of detail and resolution on both the old disc and the replacement.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I would just like to know ...Why does The Creature Walks Among Us look so much better than Revenge ?? They were made only months apart from each other. 1954-1955. They should both look the same in PQ. The need to release the 3D on a separate disc. The 2D Revenge, and Walks on a separate disc also. 3D TV's are not popular at all. Not fair for 2D TV Fans of the movie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If there is an issue with the 2D version on the disc, and that's a big if, it has nothing to do with the presence of a 3D version appearing on the same disc. The file size of the 2D version included on the disc for Revenge Of The Creature is basically the same as the file size of the 2D Creature Walks Among Us.

Please also note, as per Bob Furmanek, that Revenge of the Creature had lots and lots of dupes utilized in its creation, so there's not as much original negative available as there was for Creature Walks Among Us. It's likely that part of the reason Creature Walks Among Us looks better is due to the fact that it has far fewer dupes in it.

Please do not blame the existence or inclusion of a 3D version for any perceived flaws in the 2D version.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I do finally have my replacement disc and I will report more about it after the holiday when I can examine it more thoroughly. But I did take the time to check out the contents in a computer drive. There is an MVC file of 27.9 GB (Revenge 3D) and an AVC file of 14GB (Creature Walks), with a total disc size of 46.93GB. So there doesn’t appear to be a separate 2D file for Revenge. However, what concerns me is that the embedded AVC file inside the MVC file is only ~14GB which is half the size of the full MVC file. It should be two-thirds the size, not half as the primary stream is usually double the size of the secondary stream.

Edit: See post 568

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So there doesn’t appear to be a separate 2D file for Revenge. However, what concerns me is that the embedded AVC file inside the MVC file is only ~14GB which is half the size of the full MVC file. It should be two-thirds the size, not half as the primary stream is usually double the size of the secondary stream.
I thought that was already explained (or guessed) as the issue: that the disc uses the secondary stream as the 2D version, rather than the primary stream. Hence the lower quality.

I don't know for sure, that's just what I thought I had read on other postings.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ack, I buggered the numbers in post 566 (now corrected). I had the numbers switched. The file for Creature Walks was 14 GB and the AVC embedded file for the 2D version of Revenge was 18.2 GB, so all is well. The primary stream is indeed twice the size of the secondary stream. I've even played the disc now and can tell you that the bit-rate for the 2D version matches that of the the primary stream in 3D. So everything is encoded correctly and Universal is to be commended for a perfect fix. The 3D version looks spectacular. I have no complaints with this disc whatsoever.

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
A lot of us are waiting for Amazon USA to start selling the corrected 3D version in the Legacy Collection. If and when that happens, some of us that have Region Free players will have to wait for the lowdown on the German edition to make our decisions.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Classic Monsters blu-ray set is coming up at 7:10pm as an Amazon Lightning Deal.

The Mummy set comes up tomorrow at 10:55am.

Dracula tomorrow at 5:45pm.

Last edited:

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Replacement finally arrived today... Black Friday!

20181123_174347.jpg

JLKINSER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Kinser
I am still waiting for mine to arrive. I sent them an email the same day the link went up. I sent them another email a few days ago and was sent a reply that they are full filling the orders as fast as they can and please continue to wait.

"We are continuously working on fulfilling these requests. We appreciate your patience.

Our goal is to always deliver the best possible product to our consumers. We hope that you will continue to enjoy this and future Universal releases.

Sincerely,
Consumer Relations
UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT"

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I only ever received ONE reply via e-mail from Universal which asked for my info and proof of purchase. That was around the second week of September. Then nothing.

Then on Thanksgiving day I received an e-mail from FedEx that said a delivery needing a signature would be delivered on Friday, which it was.

Anyway, the corrected 3D version was worth the long wait. Haven't watched "The Creature Walks Among Us" yet.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Just to add to the endless complaints: When this replacement programs started, I said to myself: "well the disc will be a nice Halloween treat." When that failed: "well, the disc will go great after turkey stuffing." That has failed but I am hoping that it does not arrive as late as my Christmas presents!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just to add to the endless complaints: When this replacement programs started, I said to myself: "well the disc will be a nice Halloween treat." When that failed: "well, the disc will go great after turkey stuffing." That has failed but I am hoping that it does not arrive as late as my Christmas presents!

It'll arrive by Christmas - but might not be until Xmas 2024! ;)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I did want to do a little followup on the replacement disc now that I've had a chance to watch Revenge of the Creature in its entirety. As I stated before the disc is now authored correctly. I can confirm that the 2D version is NOT the same as the first (incorrectly authored) disc. The 2D is the primary stream of the 3D MVC file. Yes Revenge is not as sharp as Creature Walks Among Us, but both 3D and 2D are the same. The difference between the first disc and the second (other than the obvious problem), is that the first disc had the 2D version as the left eye and the second disc has the 2D version as the right eye. Honestly I didn't even know it was possible for the primary stream to be the right eye, but they have definitely managed it here. If you play the 3D version on your player and have your TV force it back into 2D, then you will get the left eye version. Both look the same quality-wise. Here are some screencaps:

3D/right eye and 2D (replacement disc)
3D MVC 1.png

Side-by-side (recalled disc)
SBS 1.png

2D (recalled disc)
2D 1.png

3D/right eye and 2D (replacement disc)
3D MVC 2.png

Side-by-side (recalled disc)
SBS 2.png

2D (recalled disc)
2D 2.png

Last edited:

JLKINSER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Kinser
How many are still waiting for their replacement disc to show up? I emailed Universal the day the link came out and still on the waiting list

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks