What's new

Pre-Order The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81HK0CmiOPL._SX522_.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the classic The Invisible Man this afternoon. It's the first time I've seen it in high definition, and it looked beautiful, so much improved from the spotty, too contrasty DVD that I've been watching all these years. Wonderfully clean and sharper than I was expecting with nicely cleaned up sound, too, this transfer is another Universal winner!

I'll be working my way through the set one film a day for the next several days. Several of them I've never seen, so that's going to be a treat for me, too.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I hate to be "that guy", but do the transfers on these new releases differ at all from the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection set that came out in 2012, or is it just additional bonus content?

EDIT: Never mind. I found the info. :)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I hate to be "that guy", but do the transfers on these new releases differ at all from the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection set that came out in 2012, or is it just additional bonus content?

In the case of THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933), I don't think it really needs to! :)

CHEERS! :)

Real Name
Christopher Russo

The discs from the Essentials Collection are used in the Legacy sets. Only the discs with the sequels are new. ;)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched The Invisible Man Returns last night. It looked wonderfully sharp and clean, so sharp that seeing the wires moving things around was easier than ever before. Enjoyable sequel.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I watched The Invisible Man Returns last night. It looked wonderfully sharp and clean, so sharp that seeing the wires moving things around was easier than ever before. Enjoyable sequel.
Things like that are where I don't mind "revisionist" attitudes - just remove the wires. When you take into consideration the projection quality of the day I'm sure the wires weren't seen during showings and possibly not even in screening rooms. Film makers knew this so didn't worry about them and planned lighting and shots to further minimize them possibly being seen.

Of course the other side to that is that it's wonderful to be able to see the technology behind the effects. As a kid I'd notice such things and used that knowledge in a later career. I've also taught my kids and grandkids how visual effects are done, using such films as examples for things to watch for.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got around to The Invisible Woman tonight. I had forgotten what a farcical comedy it is rather than a drama. The transfer looked nice.

But that cast! All of the principals apart from Virginia Bruce and John Barrymore (this must have been one of his last films; he was clearly reading much of his dialogue from cue cards) were such well known character people: John Howard, Margaret Hamilton, Edward Brophy, Charlie Ruggles, Shemp Howard, Donald MacBride, Charles Lane, Oscar Homolka, (and Maria Montez in a bit). Couldn't get over so many famous faces all in one movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks